Wipers leaving screen

PostPost by: gav » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:36 pm

Hi all
I don't like driving the ?lan in the rain but when I do, I have a new syndrome to contend with - the drivers wiper sweeps the screen once then decides to wipe the air. It doesn't return to the glass unless it is helped.
I've tried all sorts of remedies but can't seem to solve it.
Has anyone else suffered this problem and if so, what is the solution
Thanks
Gavin

Ps I use Rainex so I don't often use the wipers but I would like to resolve this
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:48 pm

Is the pivot tight against the 'fibreglass? If not, it wobbles. The threads are very fine and like to strip out.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:21 pm

Some wiper arms have two settings for the spring.....also are you using speedblades ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=speed ... fL5LZpM%3A

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:44 am

Do the arm pivots feel tight when you lift the wiper off the screen? Thats a classic example of Seized wiper arms, the arm sticks at the highest point of the screen on the first pass and when it cycles it doesn't contact the lower points (if that makes sense).

To fix it, Remove the arm and work it back and forward with a bit of vinegar in the sticking joint.... dry well (Blow dry with compressed air if you have it) and Grease/spray grease (not wd40) the pivot. Make sure you don't get any Lube on the wiper blades, in fact probably best to clean them when it's back together just in case.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gavk » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:38 pm

John,

Out of interest, were you going to recommend speed blades or suggesting they have an issue with coming off the screen?

Gavin
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:13 pm

The speedblades tend not to lift at speed and are more flexible ( fitting to the shape of the screen..)

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:17 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

I dont have speedblades but it seems that I need a set. Where do they come from.

The spring on the arm appears very stiff and I wonder if that is contributing. The box and spindle are relatively new and soundly fitted so I dont think they are the problem.

I wonder if the arms are correct....

Interested in thoughts on the impact of an over strong spring.

Thanks
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:38 pm

Gavin, It depends what set up you currently have. I know it sounds a bit soft but if you have the 12" wipers and actively try to not drive it in the wet i'd be tempted to stick with them. The 14" Speed blades clear more screen but in my opinion look like an after thought on the 2 seater, even though they do flex more the end of mine still don't sit on the screen when parked and it catches the Screen rubber.

When you stay the arms are stiff do you mean the springs are strong? or the pivots are sticky? If it's due to strong springs that will help but if it's the pivots thats your problem.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:22 pm

it is hard to tell how flexile the joint is because the spring is so strong.

I'll remove the spring and then service the joint and let you know how I get on

Many thanks for all of your assistance

All the best
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: