WooHoo, working light pods!

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:04 pm

Got to be happy with this. I've been using info gained from some of you on this board and have got my light pods to work smoothly using Mk1 Mazda MX5 (Miata) motors. Have a look at this very short video https://www.dropbox.com/s/4grbcnv1gowhevh/DSCN3022.MOV

Apologies for the quality - it was taken on a compact camera.
Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:47 pm

Excellent job Mike, when I bought my +2 the mazda mx5 motors were some of my earliest purchases.
They look to have a nice smooth operation. Although this job for me is a long way off, I look forward to performing this mod. Well done :wink:
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Good Job young fella!

Nice work...

Al' .....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:38 pm

Good Job young fella!
Thanks for that Alex - you know I am drawing my state pension, don't you! Here's a photo of the LH motor installation before I got the wiring installed. I'm very pleased with the job, as you might have guessed. I had to extend the actuating arm on the motor as the Lotus lamps need a longer throw to enable full operation. The little ball joints came from RS Components, and with some 6mm threaded rod and home made bracketry, it all went together fairly simply. Mind you it helps when you haven't an engine in the car so you can work inside the nose.
Mike
Attachments
Lamp Motor.jpg and
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:38 am

Have you wired up a headlight up switch for cleaning the lenses like on the MX5?

I didnt know of its existence and when a girlfriend complained that her headlights were stuck in the up position, I found that by turning the actuator knob I could lower them, at least for a few degrees and then the motors kicked in and ripped the knob from my grip, scared the pants off me :shock:

I agree they are great motors and the home made brackets look functional and wont be seen, however I am a bit maniaque (OC.?) and would like to one day see some brackets that look like production items, that said there are many OE brackets on an Elan that look like they were knocked up on a kitchen table.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:46 am

" I agree they are great motors and the home made brackets look functional and wont be seen, however I am a bit maniaque (OC.?) and would like to one day see some brackets that look like production items, that said there are many OE brackets on an Elan that look like they were knocked up on a kitchen table."

......and what is wrong with these sir? ( albeit on a Plus2 )

headlamp actuator.JPG
headlamp actuator.JPG (71.54 KiB) Viewed 1354 times

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:47 pm

knocked up on a kitchen table
Egad, I am mortal offended. I'll have you know they were carefully formed in my vice with a dirty great hammer. You will notice that I got the position of the mounting hole wrong first time. Ah well, no-one's perfect.
Mike :lol:
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:57 pm

This is a picture of how I mounted the motors in my S4.

The motor can be removed by taking out one bolt (the caphead into threaded insert on bracket on inside face of indicator lamp mount).

The bracket has (5) threaded inserts so there are no nuts to fiddle with. There are four is round the lampholder, two for csk screws the hold the bracket to the bodywork and two for the screws to hold the lampholder.

You can also see the 'U' shaped plate with threaded holes that hold the sidelight lampholder.

Ian
Attachments
RH Headlamp.jpg and
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:12 pm

Nice job!

Looks like you have used anchor rivet bushes.

http://www.psminternational.com/en/prod ... 3&proid=50

They really make for a pro looking job, I have a collection of various sized balls from bearings which I use to set them with.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:06 pm

I tend to use rivnuts... V easy to use. Lots and lots of uses around the Lotus.They can make life a LOT easier. :wink: That horrid tank sender unit fixing to the tank for EG, Through holes right into the tank! Screw ends immersed in petrol!! And did it leak? Oh yes.. No bloody wonder. :roll:

I do like the anchor nuts too though.

AB....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Ian, that's a very neat installation. I never thought of putting a bracket round the motor, but then I'm no engineer. More of a bodger actually, hence the rough and ready brackets, but at least my installation is solid. The motors don't move at all. I like the way you use the indicator lamp screws to fix it. Wish I'd thought of that.

Alex, you mentioning the fuel tank screws reminds me. I have a brand new aluminium tank which has the screw holes open to the fuel - as you say, a crazy idea - why do they still make them like that? I'm not certain of my ability to modify it without ruining it. If I ran it over to you one day, would you be able to do the necessary while I waited and watched? Obviously I would make sure you weren't out of pocket. There is absolutely no rush as I don't expect to be installing the tank for months yet.

Mike (in Troon)
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Happy to take a look and advise..... :shock:

Worried about working on a brand new tank though. I think we would also need to get blind M4 rivnuts in Aluminium.. ( dissimilar corrosion ) ...

Stick it in the boot and run over with it .. I will make a few enquiries to see if dissimilar metals (stainless & Alu') could be an issue.. I think probably..

Has there been fuel in it? Or unused and dry inside?

Al' ..... 01383 850139...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi again folks..

Aluminium (tank) and stainless / plated steel is about the worst combo for galvanic action. :? Makes me ask what type of screws would be best with tank in std form? :roll:

So... We would need some rivnuts in aluminium to try to minimise the chances of any corrosion,

I'll make a few enquiries.

Kinda slipped off topic. Sorry...

Al' .... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Alex, I have sent you a PM.
Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:45 pm

Mike I expanded up the pic' you sent me and it looks like the tank already has rivnut type fasteners fitted. That would make sense. but the tank probably won't have the 'stiffener' ring (about 4mm thick) attached to the inner face. This helps keep the surface for the sender to sit on,flat and true. (Hopefully!!). Are you sure the holes are 'through' holes? have you had a good look / checked?

let me know when youve checked again & if not we can drill out the rivnuts fitted and renew with closed end type.

Al '.....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: