Wrinkle Paint

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a supplier of Wrinkle Finish Paint in GB or Germany; preferably Red & in an Aerosol.
Also some suitable high build Primer, also in Aerosol.
Yes there are offers on Fleabay which I will probably follow up but I don't know if the Vendors will be able to advise me about which Primer to use.
I think that the Wrinkle Paint needs Oven curing at 200?C, so the Primer would probably have to cope with that as well.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi John,

These two list VHT wrinkle finish paint in aerosols.....

Link deleted

http://www.usautomotive.co.uk/vht-paint.aspx

Regards,

For some reason my first link didn't work but it's the same as Craig's post below.
Last edited by oldelanman on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:03 pm

John, I suspect you may need to use an etch primer rather than a high build one (esp if its for your cam cover) - the wrinkle paint data sheet for the VHT type sold by Frosts seems to suggest that no primer is needed. You don't necessarily need to put it in the oven though, I managed to get good results on the cam-cover of my car using a heat gun.

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp? ... h%20(310ml)&catID=24&frostCat=Painting&frostSubCat=Others&subCatID=34

Craig
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Ditto on the etch primer if painting aluminium. Paint won't adhere to aluminium unless an etch primer is used. It would be a shame to see all your hard work coming off shortly after applying it!! :shock:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks for the Links & tips Guys.
I painted my Die Cast Zetec Cam Cover with "Duplicolour" Primer & Gloss Top Coat; the German equivalent of "B&Q's Best"
I piled on the Primer, rubbing down between Coats to hide any Casting surface quality defects.
The same with the Top Coat & the finish was / is after 10 years, like a Mirror.

The rather "unusual" Twincam Cam Cover I'm planning to paint is Sand Cast, so considerably worse regarding surface finish.
Rather than spending hours & lots of Elbow Grease sanding down the Aluminium (very, very fiddly between the Lettering running along the top of both Cams) I'd rather fill most of the defects with Primer, Wet & Dry back & then apply the Wrinkle finish Paint.
My reason for asking about the Primer was that I needed to know if something special is required that would not cause a reaction with the Wrinkle finish Paint.
Is Acrylic OK?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: marklowe » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi
I?m sorry John but this probably doesn?t help you out but I had a cam cover wrinkle coated by Redditch Shotblasting earlier this year they can do red or black and do them for PM. The quality of the finish is excellent and cost ?35 + VAT.
When you look at the price of buying the DIY wrinkle paint and a primer, personally I think it was money well spent.

Mark
marklowe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:46 pm

John,

See my reply on the "other" forum :wink:

Cheers
Jon
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:40 pm

Lads.... The wrinkle finish I used has been great. Spot on and appears very tough so far. I have it on the air vents in the dash panel. The ashtray front and the rocker cover. All of which covered and worked exactly as it said on the tin. I bought the product on Ebay. From memory the instructions were. On bare metal only.. Two coats with 10 mins between. then wait 2 hrs and give a good heavy coat. I dried to crinkle finish in the oven at about 100 deg'. Dont think it needs baking. Just a minimum temp is suggested.

No primer.

All turned out superb...

Pic's are in the post new car arriving.

AB...
Last edited by alexblack13 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:35 pm

John..... Info....http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk/hyc ... 1100-p.asp

Thats the cheapest I have seen it.

Looked at my instructions again. I think you might find it will not work with primer. Could be wrong though. I took all the original finish off my rocker cover 1st (Bead blasted it)

Hope this helps mate.

Alex B.....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:58 pm

John - one thing, the wrinkle finish is so thick that you don't need to sand down the rough aluminium casting. I recently did the "big valve" cover on my twink and all you have to do is carefully strip the old paint off, make sure it's degreased and dry then spray the wrinkle finish as per the instructions. Once the paint is dry you then scrape the paint covering the ribs and the Lotus Big Valve logos off and polish the bare metal. If I get chance I'll post a photo of the results tomorrow.

C
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Yep..More or less what I said above. And the pic's are already there. New car arriving post has a fair few nice shots of the rocker cover..

OH...I said bare metal too..''no primer''

Have fun..

AB
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks to all of you
It seems that 2 thin-ish to normal coats should be sprayed onto clean bare Metal & allowed to dry at above 20?C & a final heavy coat preferably force dried at 25?C or above.
That's according to one of the Internet Sites that was given.
I don't have a Hair drier, (who with so little Hair would?) & I don't normally have a use for a heat Gun so I think I'll do the force drying using one of those electric Room heaters which I once bought in an open air Market when in GB. Should do the job OK :roll:
Knowing that, I guess that 1 Spray Can will more than do the Twincam Cam Cover?
I've also been able to locate a German Supplier; cost around 10? + P&P which is a fair price for the job.

Many thanks
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:47 am

marklowe wrote:Hi
I?m sorry John but this probably doesn?t help you out but I had a cam cover wrinkle coated by Redditch Shotblasting earlier this year they can do red or black and do them for PM. The quality of the finish is excellent and cost ?35 + VAT.
When you look at the price of buying the DIY wrinkle paint and a primer, personally I think it was money well spent.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

yes they are a bit too far away from me, but some years ago whilst I was working in the Midlands they did a great job on my Elan Steel wheels.
I left them one of my Alloy wheels to do a match of the Silver, which in turn is a match to the Silver on the Bumpers.
They did a great job & on time.
Recommendable!

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:53 am

Hi John,
I did 2 vents, 1 ashtray front and the cam cover. Still have a bit left in the rattle can... :wink:

The trick is in getting it to crinkle up nice and evenly. Using a handheld... err device will not give you this. Much better to try and get it into a warm oven or similar. Not always poss' I know. Keep it flat too. No standing on end to get it in....How about one of those little seed propagators / plant shelters one see's everywhere shelves with a cover basically. Got one of those? Stick a fan heater in. That would do nicely!

Hope it goes OK...

Alex B....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks Alex,

yes I was thinking of hanging that Heater over the Cam Cover, but on 2nd thoughts the plastic Casing of the Heater might object.
It'll go into the Oven- No Missus to do any complaining in this Household :wink:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: