1970 Sprint Garage find.

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:51 pm

If this is some ones car on here i apologise for not asking permission to put the picture up but it was the first pic to hand with the Lip on the back.

If you look where the boot floor meets the panel directly behind the diff there is a Lip on nearly all Factory built sprints (i think they tweaked the design for ease of assembly)

lotus-elan-f19/bit-lip-t17272.html
Attachments
1972-Lotus-Elan-Sprint-DHC-Rear1.jpg and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:42 pm

rcraven wrote:I've got what is probably an S4/Sprint, but I've never been sure what I'm supposed to be looking at in checking for the apparently distinctive lip at the rear so I'm not sure whether I've got it or not.
Would someone please explain, preferably with a photo?

Everything you need to know re: Sprints.
http://www.lotuselansprint.com/
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:50 pm

gjz30075 wrote:
rcraven wrote:I've got what is probably an S4/Sprint, but I've never been sure what I'm supposed to be looking at in checking for the apparently distinctive lip at the rear so I'm not sure whether I've got it or not.
Would someone please explain, preferably with a photo?

Everything you need to know re: Sprints.
http://www.lotuselansprint.com/

Yep that trw99 's site isn't it that he linked to on the page before?
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:04 pm

Yes
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:13 pm

Grizzly wrote:If this is some ones car on here i apologise for not asking permission to put the picture up but it was the first pic to hand with the Lip on the back.

If you look where the boot floor meets the panel directly behind the diff there is a Lip on nearly all Factory built sprints (i think they tweaked the design for ease of assembly)

lotus-elan-f19/bit-lip-t17272.html

Thanks very much for the photo. Far more helpful than written descriptions using the word valence, which is a length of material I have at the side of my bed.
My car doesn't have the lip, which seems rather pointless anyway. Doesn't it just attract dirt? From the link you've provided it seems as you say there are some Sprints which don't have the lip.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:08 pm

TBH i'm as confused as you at this point, i was told by a chap that worked for Lotus back in the day that the cars without the Lip where S4 shells (just a big pile of shells that they tweaked to different specs) and when the Sprint was factory produced (with the Key on the column etc) it had the Lip on the bottom and no holes under the White on the sides (ie. the Shell was made a sprint not converted from a one size fits all S4 Shell) the problem is Lotus Used up stock parts so the only clear marker it was a shell made to be a sprint is the Lip under the back you see on the 73's and later ones.

But the thing is if it says Elan Sprint on the Log book and it was sold as a Sprint by the factory its a Sprint?? all very confusing as it was more of a transition from S4 to full Sprint spec where the differences came over time as the parts bought in bulk diminished and where replaced with things like slightly different steering columns etc. The thing with My Elan was it was an S4 SE all packaged up ready to go then was recalled/sent back and made into a Sprint by the factory before it was every owned by anyone, Allot of them where Modified on the Production line so weren't assembled / finished as S4 SE's So would you call them converted S4 or not?? becomes fuzzy.

All that said, i bet the later S4 SE's had the lip on the floor too so that Proves nothing :)

What can i say......... Mine has Elan Sprint on the original sales receipt from Lotus so that's good enough for me ;)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:09 pm

Chaps, I think we're going round in circles now!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Is it true that the Sprint succeeded the SE? so the Sprint was effectively the S5? and why you don't see 1973 SE's ? or is that a Myth because not many where sold?
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:28 pm

Grizzly wrote:Is it true that the Sprint succeeded the SE? so the Sprint was effectively the S5? and why you don't see 1973 SE's ? or is that a Myth because not many where sold?

The SE was a "S4 SE" not a seperate model ie, a S4 base model with a "SE" option pack. S4's ceased production in 1971, as we have discussed a number of unsold cars from both Hethel & dealer stock were converted to Sprint spec. That's why you see few if any '72 or '73 S4s

Yes, the Sprint was effectively the S5; Graham Arnold wanted something sexier to call it though...

Can we move on now... :wink:
Last edited by pharriso on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:12 am

Can't move on i've not done anything on my car for a few days :) thought it would be interesting to discuss as my build Thread seems to have gone a bit off task. :roll:

I understand the SE was the equipment level of the S4 but i thought it was the same with the Sprint (so you had the really well equip small valve S4 SE then the S4 Sprint was the sports version) i didn't realise they stopped making the S4 and S4 se and only made the Sprint but you live an learn (would explain why i was told the "proper" Sprints where the ones assembled from the new Batch of shells with the Lip under the boot floor and not old S4 stock)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterexpart » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:31 am

Grizzly wrote:Can't move on i've not done anything on my car for a few days :) thought it would be interesting to discuss as my build Thread seems to have gone a bit off task. :roll:

I understand the SE was the equipment level of the S4 but i thought it was the same with the Sprint (so you had the really well equip small valve S4 SE then the S4 Sprint was the sports version) i didn't realise they stopped making the S4 and S4 se and only made the Sprint but you live an learn (would explain why i was told the "proper" Sprints where the ones assembled from the new Batch of shells with the Lip under the boot floor and not old S4 stock)

But to confuse matters further they also produced an S4SE which had the Small Valve Head but was stamped "HC" (High Compression) this had an almost identical output on Strombergs to the Sprint Engine.
This information is in the Miles Wilkins book so I stand to be corrected !!
PeterExpart
New Forest National Park
Hampshire UK
peterexpart
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:02 am

My friend has an original Sprint that is a 73' registered car which does not have the lip. I was always to believe that most Sprints were with the lip but a few were without it. Something to do with there being more than one mould and the majority of the shells made for the Sprints being from the moulds with the lip.

Anyway, who really cares? some have it, some don't. Personally I prefer it without or painted black if it is there.

This has been discussed many times but Tim has the answers on his Sprint site, http://www.lotuselansprint.com. Go & visit, it is a very nice website IMHO.

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Been a while since i put a Picture up (been covered in a nice layer of dust) so i got it out and gave it a quick rinse off so thought i'd put a Picture up sporting its new front Bumper :) (still weighing up how i'm going to fit the Chrome strip). Just Plucking up the courage to start fitting the Hood :roll:

I think i need to get my finger out and get the wheels done :)

I also fitted the Peco Exhaust but even with it very close to the Chassis i'm not sure i quite like the way it looks?? (seems to hang down quite a bit) but might just be me use to it without an Exhaust on if that makes sense.

Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:29 am

Had a bit of an odd day today, i decided to tidy the wheels up more to give myself some motivation to get it finished than anything else.

OMG i like to make life hard for myself. I have a Spare wheel which is original and i polished it up to give me an idea of the colour. I had decided i wanted two things the correct colour and Gloss finish which was where i slipped on the bannana skin.

First i painted the wheels Black inside and out as they where Black with silver fronts (that wasn't a problem)

So i started with Ford Fox Silver, i did a number of spray outs playing with air pressure / clears and every time i put even the lightest coat of Gloss clear on it went too dark, i did play with the Satin clears and matting agent in the Gloss but it was either too satin and the colour was more or less right or it was Gloss and way dark.

Anyway after a morning of tinting and spraying out (which is a pain with a colour that changes so much when its cleared) i have colour on them but i'm thinking the Black underneath has given the silver a dark Cast which i didn't account for but i'll see tomorrow in the day light.

I now know why so many elans wheels look so dark against the chrome at shows. I didn't get the opportunity to check the Silver bumper paint i found under my Sprint Gold bumpers before i stripped/painted them but i noticed that it was also direct gloss so i'm guessing the same paint was used on the wheels?? so maybe the silver isn't what i'd call gloss on the silver Bumpers? which is making me think my bumpers are the wrong colour now :roll: (the pictures i have of the bumpers when i got the car look nothing like the Talbot Aztec Gold thats on now)

I've not had the opportunity to get them on just yet as the only Silver car going through today was last job on the board. :)

Wow simple job turned into a nightmare and i'm not 100% sure i've finished yet.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:53 pm

Mmmmmm after loads of messing about i put the wheels on the car and pushed it out into the light and i am not sure what it is but it looks odd. Maybe because its not got the chrome Embellisher's on?? or because the wheels where rusty it gave a gold look which matched the bumpers more?? also i may be getting a bit too ott but because there gloss they reflect things like the blue on the garage door so it looks like the colour has Pearl in it... Not sure i like it so may well be getting done again.

Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: