adventures with 45/7594

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:11 am

45/7594 is a 1966 ElanS3 SE SS with a tall block motor and 3.9 differential. I 've had the car 2 months and 140 miles. I couldn't run it for the first month because of a starter problem but now resolved I drove it 100 miles today with only minor issues :roll: I locked the doors for the first time last weekend and today I couldn't open either one! I fooled with them for 1/2 hour and finally got the passenger door open. The driver's door will only open from the inside. And now, neither one wants to close properly. I have to spin the little wheel a click or two to get the doors to shut. I need to read the manual and take it apart I guess. Next the cooling fans didn't come on (added by a previous owner). Luckily it was cool enough today I didn't need them. To get the tach to work you need to snap the gauge glass with your finger. The diff whine is horrendous but I've located a low mileage 3.55 in England (fingers crossed}. One more thing. The oil pressure is almost 60 psi when hot. This may be from a high pressure oil pump (?) and may be why I have so many leaks. All said, this car rocks. It pulls really strong going uphill from 70-80 mph. Seems stronger than my previous S4. I'm looking forward to meeting other owners and seeing other cars next year. :D
Later
Chris
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:28 am

Welcome Chris , the great thing about Lotus's you get to bond with them very quickly!

I am sure you will sort the door locks, the oil pressure I can not comment on.
Oil Leaks two things, the chassis wont rust and to take a comment from another Marque, if leaking it has oil if its not leaking it's run out :D

My First Elan was long stroke great torque and very flexible have fun.

Graeme
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
66 one-off 2.6Ltr v8 Mid-engine Berlinetta Coupe........... in restoration
..................................................Age doesn't matter unless you are a cheese................................................
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:57 am

Chris, records show 7594 leaving the production line on 22 Nov 67, not 1966.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:02 pm

Chris, I was in a similar place 10 years ago when I bought the car. The first couple of months can be frustrating, until you get the things sorted that are preventing you from using the car. From there, you just keep chipping away at the projects. I really enjoyed it, because for me the journey was the destination. The car is now done and I am left scratching my head as to what to do. You will get. Not sure where you are in PA, but I am in Baltimore. All the best, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:00 pm

My car is about 1000 units earlier "6576" and I contacted Andy Graham which you might do to get the specifics. Mine was originally invoiced in component form in Dec,1966 then later left the factory assembled February 5, 1968. Andy Graham notes that "neighboring cars all left the factory around late 66 early 67" although I'm not sure of their output in terms of how neighboring 1000 units are. You might get to Andy Graham, archivist at Lotus. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:28 pm

I stand corrected. I know my car is a 1967, I just misspoke. Lots of fun. I took my 90 year old Mother for a ride yesterday and she LOVED IT!!! :D , the whole time the differential was screaming! I live in Whitehall PA and I'm anxious to interact with other members but probably not until next spring. I've still got a lot of work to do.. Thanks for everyone's interest.
Later
Chris :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:17 am

Well you got the advantage of been very local to rdent so part supply shouldn't be a problem!
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:42 am

Hi Chris, I live in Princeton NJ and recently purchased my '64 S1. Since my purchase there hasn't been a week that I haven't been working on the car either correcting things the previous owner didn't get right or making changes to the non stock bits on the car. And I'm loving every minute of it. The purity of this Lotus is the best.

If we get a warm weekend before winter sets in, come over for a drive!

Glen
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus