Anyone know OYJ40?

PostPost by: chris_uk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi,

I have just enjoyed my first weekend of Elan ownership and wondered if anyone could fill me in on details of the car's past. This was purchased as a cheap (well that's what the family hear) useable Elan but with very little past history. What I do know now thanks to Andy Graham is that it was sold in component form to a garage in south east Scotland in 1967. However, the Registration document gives it as built in 1968 and first road registered in 1981. I got the car from Chirnside, former home to Jim Clark and the Border Reivers and its former owner still races MGs under the Reivers banner. It is currently blue (all over including bumpers) but its owner before last (also in SE Scotland) repainted it from red during restoration and in places a few chips show yellow underneath. I'll ask DVLA for more information, but they may not be able to go back beyond 1981, so if anyone knows more of its past at any time I would be pleased to hear it. Hopefully a couple of photos are attached.

All the best.
Chris
Attachments
Elan6.JPG and
Elan5.JPG and
chris_uk
New-tral

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:26 am

Can't help with your query I'm afraid but looks quite nice. Does it have the std 4-speed box, as the gear lever / gaitor looks more like a +2.

And I'd wager that's an Elise under the cover in front.

Enjoy the car !!

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chris_uk » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks Richard,

No its a standard 4 speed box.

And yes there's an S1 Elise under the cover - just as fun, somewhat faster but a much less comfortable ride.

All the best.

Chris
chris_uk
New-tral

PostPost by: AnthonyBelcher » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi Chris

Looks like a nice car. They are a great drive as I'm finding out only having had mine for a few weeks. On reading your intro I wondered if you have to pay for the Road Fund licence on your car as it was registered in 1981. Did it take that long to build?

Happy motoring
Anthony Belcher.
Warwick, England.

'They call me baby driver and once upon a pair of wheels I hit the road and I'm gone.......
AnthonyBelcher
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: chris_uk » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:16 am

Hi Anthony,

Yes the Lotus advert that suggested an Elan could be built in a weekend was perhap a bit optimistic, but 14 years to build and road register is a bit OTT in the other direction! Fortunately DVLA accept it as built in 1968 (although Lotus records it as sold in 1967) so the road fund license is free.
Chris
chris_uk
New-tral

PostPost by: AnthonyBelcher » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:32 am

Hi Chris
Thank you for your reply.
I hope you enjoy your elan as much as I am enjoying
mine.
Best wishes
Anthony
Anthony Belcher.
Warwick, England.

'They call me baby driver and once upon a pair of wheels I hit the road and I'm gone.......
AnthonyBelcher
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: