ARE ELANS UNDER VALUED?

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:05 pm

persiflage wrote:Personally I think the worlds gone mad . . .again.

I am with you on this one...

I blame the banks! In days gone by if you had a decent sum of money you'd built up over your life you'd stick it in a bank earning a reliable decent % return. These days its pretty difficult to get an account that pays any thing like a decent return. If you find something that beats inflation you've done extremely well. In most cases you're losing money (buying power wise) with money in the bank due to inflation being much higher than interest rates.

So people take their money and try to find other things they can do to get a better return. Common examples of this are stocks and property. Both of these are doing pretty well despite the craziness going on at the minute. Classic cars are just another place to put your money in the hope of them increasing in value and well at least you get something you can enjoy.

Stocks, property and classic cars all have a look of a bubble but I am not sure what could cause it to burst. The banks aren't suddenly going to start pay a decent exchange rate, as they learned they don't have to.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:05 pm

^THIS.

Plus there's just so much upward accumulation of wealth these days that the number of people who'll pay hugely for their dreams is only increasing, as is the amount that some of them will pay due to that increasing competition for the limited supply of old cars to make dreams come true. Sure, the world HAS gone mad...again, but it's still the old game of supply and demand- just played into madness.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:08 pm

Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:20 pm

... Exige V6 Cup..

There, done it....
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:25 pm

Jim & Veg(ie)

Another F1 inspiration could be the McLaren of the same name - Gordon Murray is an elan fan - apparently!

Interesting comment about personal registrations and Elans, there are lots of personal plates on Ferraris, etc - are the owners more interested in making a statement or driving their toys?

Maybe a comparison of Elan vs the more "exotic" marques insurance mileage allowance would be interesting?

Might the increasing use of composites in modern expensive cars & an increasing focus on efficiency help values?

etc...

Ian
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:55 pm

Gordon Murray certainly does like Elan

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/my-first-car-gordon-murray/

There was also an interesting one page article by him in Classic Car magazine which came out a couple of months ago where he praises the Elan. Seems he reckons the Elan in betters the McLaren F1!

From a page on the London Classic Car Show website quoting Gordon Murray http://www.thelondonclassiccarshow.co.uk/news/salute-to-the-greatest-car-of-the-20th-century..

When we started work on the F1 we benchmarked all the existing supercars from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche and so on, as well as aspects of cars as varied as the contemporary Honda NSX and the 1960s Lotus Elan.

?The idea was to better the performance, vehicle dynamics, handling and ride comfort of all of them at the same as producing a car that could, genuinely, be used every day.

?We achieved it all? except perhaps the steering. The F1 gets very close but doesn?t quite better the purity of the Lotus Elan?s steering,? said Murray.

Says it all and he should know..
:D

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Good on Gordon for that!

I haven't driven a baby Elan, and have only driven my Plus 2 1/8 mile with really crapped-out bushings and ball-joints, but I've driven a few Esprits and Lotus definitely have the steering-thing figured out. My former Esprit had the most amazing steering I've ever met.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: