Back in the saddle after 15 years

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:39 am

After a 2 year extensive rebuild of my original owner 69 S4 SE and a few final trials and tribulations (more later) just fired it up and took a short spin (3.65 miles - odometer actually works!).

Final hurdles were:

1. Getting the clutch bled. I replaced the entire system (master, hose, slave (twice)) and until I managed to explode the slave cylinder by pushing the rod out the end and getting it wedged i could not bleed it for crying. After the explosion, reassembled everything and it came right up. Perhaps, with a totally dry new system (and no bench bleeding) this is what might be expected. Took me close to 2 weeks to resolve. All the while, anxious knowing that I was so close to getting on the road.

2. Could not get oil pressure with plugs out on starter only for a very long time. The engine had sat for 18 months after being taken off the dyno. What finally worked (and thanks to this Forum) was packing it with vaseline. That did the trick.

3. Could not find reverse. Turns out those nice, new gear shift billet aluminum caps to replace the nylon ones are too damn short (more later) and don't allow the shift to lift far enough to engage reverse. Put the original nylon in, and problem solved. Now, need to get a refund on the pricey aluminum bit.

4. Sourced some 100 octane race gas for initial startup per engine builder's recommendation (Dave Vegher). He wasn't sure how long it would take to get the car fully sorted out and preferred to have the race gas in the system.

Now, the shakedown will continue. Tighten hoses, set suspension, etc. etc. But, she already runs and handles nicely (surprising since everything has been redone). Obviously, still will have to check alignment et al.

The engine had only seen dyno time. Haven't driven the car in anger yet as I need to continue to retorque the keyless rear drive shafts and keep checking for leaks and other problems. Wary of some catastrophic failure until I can gain more confidence and get everything buttoned down.

Thankfully no electrical problems. Everything seems to work and no smoke! Headlight vacuum (failsafe version) not working - headlights started to dip but didn't hold - not critical - will sort out in time.

Found that my original oil pressure gauge will not be suitable for the new engine. Only goes to 60 psi. With new high pressure pump the gauge is always pinned at 60 (when warm at idle it does drop into range). I can get the same dual gauge (water temp/oil press) for 100 psi so will swap it out at some point. Did any Elans get a 0-100 psi range gauge as original?

Some pictures:

img_8023.jpg and
Odometer/Speedometer works. Been a long time.

img_8024.jpg and
1700 cc / 181 hp @ 6900 / 143 Torque @ 5100 (~flat to redline - 7K)

img_8025.jpg and

img_8026.jpg and

img_8029.jpg and

Made it before a major birthday in a month....

Car's anniversary with me 48 years this month. Original paint, block, chassis, transmission (rebuilt), diff (rebuilt with ATB), ... But lots of upgrades throughout now (new SAS weber head, lots of TTR parts, Vegher constructed engine.)
Attachments
img_8028.jpg and
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:04 am

All those issues worth every second of the first driving experience. Congrats getting most everything resolved to get back on the road. I say most because something always pops up that needs attention before the next drive.

Driving in anger..........puts a smile on my face every time.

The oil pressure gauge in my 64 S1 goes to 100 PSI. Find an old Smiths gauge. I also have 60 PSI all the time with a new high pressure oil pump (and a race engine build).

I've got one of those aluminum billet gear caps on my close ratio 4 speed. No issues finding and engaging reverse.

Your engine bay looks identical to mine (except for the fuel pressure gauge). :D
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:41 am

The issue with gear shift cap may be the different shift (anti-sizzle) lever on the S4?

Here's the picture showing the aluminum cap being much shorter:

img_8021.jpg and

I can only say if your engine bay looks the same that you have impeccable taste.

I spent quite a bit of time ensuring that all fittings were black anodized AN fittings instead of usual red/blue along with black hoses, fuel pressure gauge, etc.

I can get a new 0-100 psi dual classic gauge readily. Should be a direct swap out.

I added an oil cooler in the middle of the build. Sorry I didn't put a hole in my new dash for an oil temp gauge. Now going use a modern hidden unit and drive a dash warning tri-color Led light (blue:cold, green: warm, red: hot). Located next to existing warning lights. Uses the same Lucas body and fresnel lens of the other warning lights but clear. So matches. May kill the green light so when in normal range there is not a light on all the time. Just blue for warming up and red for caution too hot.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:18 pm

All Elans had the pump relief set at 40 PSI and used 60 PSI gauges originally. Many have been changed to 100 PSI gauges as this is all you can get now and also due to many have had high pressure pumps fitted for various reasons and thus had the gauges changes like you are planning.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:47 am

An update.

After several tentative forays out on to the road, finally opened it up just now.

Past performance of the car (stock Stromberg engine) is a distant but pleasant memory but the current experience with the 1700cc stroked motor with more horsepower (181) and more torque (143) coupled with bigger tires (185/60 Toyo R888R) is exhilarating. Also, all new everything (suspension, rebuilt trans, ATB diff, less weight via alloy/mag parts, cooling, exhaust, webers, SAS head, wiring/fuses/relays, etc....).

But the character of the car feels unchanged. Just a bit more pronounced. Still a "wolf in sheep's clothing" street car with the original understated Cirrus White paint, no flares, etc. It used to be mistaken for a Fiat 850 here in California (Highway Patrol: "Your Fiat goes pretty fast downhill. What? Oh, it's a Lotus! In that case I'll have to give you a ticket for speeding". Not a joke, it happened).

The overall balance of the car is still there. Eminently tossable in the corners, just sticks and goes where it is pointed. Still has the body lean I remember but nothing that throws the car off-line just a controlled dance. Lots of grip from the tires but doesn't feel heavy. Light to the touch, responsive steering and stable at speed.

Compared to driving our 911S (997) Porsche I have to admit I had to adjust my driving habits a bit as the Elan still likes to live at the higher revs. But the extra torque and flat curve of the new stroked engine is definitely a plus for drivability. Lightened flywheel doesn't seem to have lessened any smoothness.

It has been a journey but one that I enjoyed most of the time. As you all know working on the Elan can be challenging. Lots of contortion and (almost) impossible things to reach. But, somehow there always turns out to be a way to get things done. I was learning and relearning things that I had either never tried or couldn't remember how I had done them in the past (decades ago). Still have a variety of minor issues that will keep me occupied for a while.

Anyway, my journey with this car that began in 1969 when I picked it up at the Hethel factory and that has been with me for the last 48 years continues. Now into a new chapter.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:38 am

in order to not have leaks, my hart dry sump pump gives me 40lbs at idle (hot) and about 80 at higher revs. i hope the new internals provide more tan enough volume and also enough pressure?? sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:10 am

Great to read about you getting "back in the saddle." I hope the 48 yr journey lasts much longer.
Those numbers on your engine are pretty impressive. :D Where did the deep airbox come from?

Keep us updated about your Elan as you drive it more.
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Regarding the airbox, it was custom made via Dave Vegher (engine builder). He contracted it out and doesn't have access to the original moulds.

I drove the Elan over to Dave's this morning. He hadn't seen it or driven it since the car got put together just recently. Also, I am experiencing some variable stumble that he was going to address.

Regarding the airbox, one could contact him and see if he has any interest is pursuing this. I know another member, with great patience, finally got one. But, also seem to recall that another member struck out when they contacted Dave after that. In any event, worth a try. Dave didn't seem averse to considering it. It will take time and money, in any event.

So, Dave test drove the car and agreed that it could be better. We are going to address this next week when he gets freed up. However, he was mightily impressed with the power and torque from his engine (that he before had only experienced on the dyno). He floored the car in 2nd gear while rolling and broke the tires loose with a "whoop" from Dave. And these are not small tires. Lot of grunt.

As always, a visit to Dave's shop is a treat with the various cars/engines in residence. A lot of the cars had just been trailered back from the Monterey Reunion. Some pictures below. The Alfa GTZ is just stunning.

img_8204.jpg and

img_8199.jpg and

img_8197.jpg and

img_8191.jpg and

img_8177.jpg and

img_8175.jpg and

img_8173.jpg and
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:19 pm

Very nice! Will we see your car at the West Coast Lotus meet?
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:52 am

Not sure I (and the car) will be able to make it to the WCLM.

It's going to be a great event in a great venue.

We'll see. I hate to miss it.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:50 am

Useful post, thank you. I am rebuilding a car from scratch and the little gremlins that are recounted give useful tips.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: