Lotus Elan

Back in the saddle again...

PostPost by: Davidb » Wed May 02, 2018 1:41 am

And I was delighted to see you finish the event! :)
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Tue May 22, 2018 2:43 am

Photos of the event were just published:
st-2018-2.jpg and
Being chased above the snow line by an RS America-I let him past a few minutes later and he got the speeding ticket!

st-2018.jpg and
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu May 24, 2018 3:47 pm

Excellent stories David and Gary. Having driven the highlighted roads many times, they are absolutely epic two lanes.

Here is a link to the organizer’s web site. So would like to join you guys in my Plus 2, but unfortunately the date conflicts with a regularly scheduled event for us. The past entry lists from the various years shows a very impressive variety of funky classics! They are found under the BC Events / Spring Thaw menu link at the top of the main page. Our Elan Coupes would be positively luxurious compared to the Sevens along for the event!

http://www.classiccaradventures.com

Looks like they also organize similar events in other areas.

Well done guys!

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
2000 Esprit V8 TT
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:29 am

I was going to title this post "A Short Drive in the Canadian Wilderness", but actually it was 1000 miles door to door which isn't exactly short in an Elan.

The latest run organized by Classic Car Adventures was "The Rush to Gold Bridge" which doesn't go to Gold Bridge and is as rushed as you want it to be...

We set out from Hope, British Columbia-almost 100 miles east of Vancouver on the main road but shortly turned off onto quite rough gravel forestry roads-the Elan was not intended for this! I did almost 100 miles in the Elan last year in this event so I was aware that the car can stand it although the muffler/silencer takes a pounding!
img_0304.jpg and

Gary (gardog) and Tanya were on the trip also and I tried to get video of their car from mine while on the gravel but it just didn't work out-they also had the top down!:
img_0342.jpg and

We were not on gravel the whole time of course. The roads in BC can be spectacular but we are having a record forest fire situation this summer and with 600 fires burning in the province there were some areas we could not go for obvious reasons--when people are evacuating their homes they don't want to see a group of idiots in sports cars having a good time! However, we had a great run with rain on the final day which is starting to slow the forest fires.
I have video of us driving on the forestry roads but cannot figure out how to (a) get it into my computer and (b) put it up here!

The Elan is not as fragile as some believe.
img_0351.jpg and

img_0345.jpg and
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Gardog » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks for posting David.

I agree – the Elan is definitely not as fragile as I thought. Aside from a mis-fire due to a loose wire (thanks again David for your help diagnosing it) the car performed very well. Portions of the gravel sections were quite rough with lots of loose rock and big ruts. But the narrow track and short wheelbase gave us plenty of room to maneuver. And I was thankful on many occasions for the S4’s small muffler. We felt our share of thuds and pings from loose rocks and branches. Fortunately though, nothing got bent or broken. By the end of the weekend we were pretty dusty but agreed that a bit of dirt was a small price to pay for such a terrific experience.

Gary
Gardog
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: