Lotus Elan

Bharn fine

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:32 pm

I invited some friends around to lift the body off the chassis, one at each corner works! I left the body on the front lawn while I changed the chassis ... :-)
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:11 am

Regards the steering wheel. I had the same thing with my +2 steering wheel. It’s a common place for them to break as people use the top of the wheel to haul themselves out of the car. I sent mine off to get repaired in Lancashire (North West England). Sounds like welding won’t be an issue for you. The re-covering might be. The hard foam and pvc will be difficult to replace. Replacing it with leather might produce a slightly thicker wheel. Not necessarily a bad thing, just different.
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:27 am

Lifting the body? As suggested before, Looks like the two post lift is your best and safest bet. I did something similar to Rohan’s method for my Europa last year. Someone here used an engine hoist to successfully lift a +2 body up!

15ccdc45-8b5e-495e-8c72-3a53d6185771.jpeg and

Gary Anderson posted a neat and simple plexiglass side window solution. elan-mods-f31/red-neck-type-side-windows-t26801.html
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Ah, welll good stuff. Thanks!

The window solution is sort of what I was thinking. Keep it in the boot, put in place when required. Sorry, I just dont like window frames on convertibles.

My two post would work a treat on the lift. I will most likely set it back down on the frame and position on other side of garage so I can get the other way too long list of projects in. And as I wish to rotate the body, I hope the pullies do their trick. Might do a mock up with a 2x4 frame to make sure weighted it works correctly.

Cheers
h20hamelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:37 pm

For the steering wheel. I would most likely have it rebuilt close to original.
For now however. I suspect I will get new metal, or repair this. And use some nice marine plywood. Okume or Baltic (high phenolic), good quality to get a good finish. Wrap it in leather, and I should be good.

Objections?
Praise!
h20hamelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:28 am

You might be able to spot at wheeled platform in the left rear of the photo. I rested the body on in and I could wheel it around the garage. Why so high? Two fold. Easier working height and my garage is about 2 metres too short! I can’t park the the Europa and the Elan end to end so they overlapped. I too have run out of space.
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Ah right
I do have wheel dollies. And can get good positioning.
The issue is getting good bonding on the underside of the body. This is why I desire to rotisserie or flip it on its side. Seems I will need to lock it in that position once the two sets of double blocks/pullies are in place. But that should be straight forward.
As I will attempt to set new body bobbins, wish me luck.
h20hamelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: