Brian Bucklan's book: the rebuilding of a lotus Elan.

PostPost by: Fax » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:39 pm

Hi,

New to the forum but I am looking for a copy of Brian Buckland's book The Rebuilding of a Lotus Elan. Does anyone know if this is still available at all? The internet hasn't produced much hope but it appears to be The must have book for a rebuild!

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Fax
New-tral

PostPost by: Europatc » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:52 pm

Hello Rob and welcome, try club Lotus they did have a stock of them or maybe the man himself, good hunting
Stuart
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mmatthej1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:56 pm

I recently got a copy from Amazon..............
mmatthej1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Fax » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks. Currently neither have them but I have an alert for them set up! They must be good!
Fax
New-tral

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:43 pm

These books cost ?50 new, so what are they fetching now? What's a reasonable price?

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mmatthej1 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:02 pm

My copy cost ?14.99 from Amazon, in August.
mmatthej1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Fax » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:09 pm

That's good to know thank you. Admittedly there is one on eBay for hundreds of ? but it hasn't sold yet. I think I will hang on, at least until I have bought the car!

Does anyone know if it covers the plus 2 in detail as well?

Thanks
Fax
New-tral

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:35 pm

Fax wrote:Does anyone know if it covers the plus 2 in detail as well?

Only covers the Elan but as a lot of the greasy bit are the same it's still a useful thing to have for a +2 owner.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:06 am

Only covers the Elan but as a lot of the greasy bit are the same it's still a useful thing to have for a +2 owner.

Seconded. There's a lot of useful advice.. If you have the workshop manual & parts list, I would put that book & this forum next on your list. If you manage to get one, add loads of A4 sheets in with your own notes.
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:19 am

I spoke with Brian about this at an event at Hethel a couple of months ago, & he indicated that he was considering producing a scanned copy on a CD / memory stick, but I've not heard / seen anything more since then?

Fortunately my daughters bought me a copy for a Christmas pressie shortly after the book was first published!
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:52 am

Maulden7 wrote:I spoke with Brian about this at an event at Hethel a couple of months ago, & he indicated that he was considering producing a scanned copy on a CD / memory stick, but I've not heard / seen anything more since then?

That would be a massive mistake on his part if he did, i know a guy who used to make rebuild manual's for Mazda Rotarys of different series etc, it sold well as a book but as soon as it went Digital he effectively gave it away (one person put it on a web site for other members...... at that point his hard copy sales just died overnight and the knock on effect was he stopped producing the manuals). It's one thing if he does it with his eye's open for the enthusiast, but if he's using the money from sales to evolve or write other things i'm not sure it would be wise.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dorsal Fin » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:26 pm

I have a spare copy ....
Dorsal Fin
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:12 pm

Maulden7 wrote:
I spoke with Brian about this at an event at Hethel a couple of months ago, & he indicated that he was considering producing a scanned copy on a CD / memory stick, but I've not heard / seen anything more since then?

That would be a massive mistake on his part if he did, i know a guy who used to make rebuild manual's for Mazda Rotarys of different series etc, it sold well as a book but as soon as it went Digital he effectively gave it away (one person put it on a web site for other members...... at that point his hard copy sales just died overnight and the knock on effect was he stopped producing the manuals). It's one thing if he does it with his eye's open for the enthusiast, but if he's using the money from sales to evolve or write other things i'm not sure it would be wise.

Brian has sold all the hard copies that were printed, & I don't think he intends to print any more, hence the idea to make the book available via another process.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:50 pm

Dorsal Fin wrote:I have a spare copy ....

How much would that be...?

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Maulden7 wrote:
Maulden7 wrote:

Brian has sold all the hard copies that were printed, & I don't think he intends to print any more, hence the idea to make the book available via another process.

It might be best to put it on one of the Print-on-Demand services then.

https://www.createspace.com/diy-gb?ref=1681470

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=print ... KABt37mPAB

http://www.readersempire.co.uk/pages.php?pageid=13
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: