Chopped FHC value difference

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:08 am

A subject frequently discussed. As I`m helping a pal find a really nice DHC Sprint, I find myself automatically disregarding a converted Type 36. Admittedly we`re looking for a top end car where it makes more difference.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:20 am

It all depends on why your friend is buying the car - does he want a top end car as a car to be driven? in which case it does not really matter or does he want a top end investment in which case he should buy a Ferrari or shares and leave them in the garage :lol:

If you want both a driver and longer term investment potential which are potentially conflicting goals then maybe an original type 45 is needed.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:21 am

I too am on the look out for a nice Sprint dhc in Colorado or possibly Regency mono.

In the same way RHD E-types are worth far more than LHD ones, even if the LHD cars have come from a dry American state and are rust free. Behind the wheel of a converted car I don't think it makes any difference, but old cars are an emotive thing. A converted Elan offers an enthusiast a great opportunity to own and enjoy the vehicle, but collectors will always pay more for originality.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Rohan, he already has a Ferrari..............or 2, and probably some shares. He certainly likes to drive, races a Caterham, Scottish Malts, Peking to Paris, Inca Trail etc. just in 2016.
The point I was making, or, rather, musing, was that were I looking for an Elan for myself, not being a precious purist, I wouldn`t discount a converted FHC. Actually I would want a discount. When I`m asked to recommend a car for someone else, it`s different. Without consciously thinking about it, I find myself automatically ignoring any chopped cars.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:16 pm

If you're just looking for a really nice car to drive, then I personally don't think it matters at all what it started life as, as long as it is what you want now. As for values, I really can't get why a drop head is worth more than a fixed head. I know people who simply wouldn't have a drop head, so for them a fixed head would be worth more. It only makes a difference when you get in to this 'matching numbers' nonsense. :evil: To me, If the car is what you want, go for it, if not, move on to the next one :D If Lotus hadn't given them different type numbers, I wonder how many would be able to tell a chopped fixed head from a factory drop head? :?
Same goes a bit for the difference in value of a series 4 Vs a Sprint. With a few small engine mods, a couple of stripes & a bit of paintwork, a series 4 becomes essentially exactly the same car as a Sprint, Lotus even done it themselves. If you only want to drive it & have fun, is a genuine Sprint really worth ?10k more? Do you get that much more fun out of it? Again, to me it only matters if you are looking at it as an investment that will give you maximum return, & there are probably better things to put your money in if that's what you're after :roll:

Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: