Colour choice

PostPost by: Dieschelan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:48 am

Hi

I want to paint my elan S3 in a blue colour. My favourite colour is medici blue. Has someone the correct paint formulation? There are big diferences between cars in the same colour. Has someone a modern paint reference that are close to the original colour?

Anotare alternatives are: wedgewood blue or french blue.
I think the wedgewood is to light. And french blue is not a comon colour ...

Has someone painted his car in these colours?

Cheers

Diego
Dieschelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi Diego,
I too have been searching for correct paint codes for Medici Blue, but I have not been successful. I have mixed up paints using the paint companies' paint codes and they were far too "white" and not enough "blue/green" which I attribute to different paint tints and bases today versus the early '60s. I ended up getting paint mixed by matching some early paint samples from under my fenders, but I don't really know if that original early paint is actually Medici blue. I am still looking for an original Medici blue sample...
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: David1953 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:43 pm

There are a number of posts on this site giving details of Medici blue.
lotus-talk-f50/paint-formula-paint-info-t33218.html

But I am still wondering what it should look like. Paul Matty recently had an DHC in Medici blue but when I went to see it the colour was much paler than the web photos.
On my car I have found a much brighter blue as the bottom layer on the underside of the doors, and I wonder if it is French Blue, but so far scanning it has not produced any names.

I am thinking of going with this brighter blue, but it would be good to know in advance what the car will look like, and if it is an original Lotus colour.
David1953
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:05 pm

David1953 wrote:There are a number of posts on this site giving details of Medici blue.
lotus-talk-f50/paint-formula-paint-info-t33218.html

But I am still wondering what it should look like. Paul Matty recently had an DHC in Medici blue but when I went to see it the colour was much paler than the web photos.
On my car I have found a much brighter blue as the bottom layer on the underside of the doors, and I wonder if it is French Blue, but so far scanning it has not produced any names.

I am thinking of going with this brighter blue, but it would be good to know in advance what the car will look like, and if it is an original Lotus colour.

It's almost impossible to tell proper color shades from photos on a computer monitor, plus color error on the photos themselves. The original Pinchin Johnson(now ICI?) color code is what you need, then go look in person at the paint supplier or bring a known sample.

I can't trust my own eyes, I'm red/green colorblind so I have to bring my SWMBO for color choice.....
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dieschelan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Is it so difficult to find the correct colour? Has someone painted recently an elan in medici blue? The only choice is to buy the colour in Autonexa?

Cheers

Diego
Dieschelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:02 am

My Plus 2 is French Blue and I love it.

img_6826.jpg and
French Blue
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:23 pm

ICI has a master colour sample in their main library, for Medici blue, but when you mix paint to those codes it comes out much whiter than expected. I have found this happens when matching other automotive paints as well. Mercedes blaugrau is a gorgeous, subtle gray blue, but when you have it mixed using modern paints it comes out almost silver. I colour matched my 280SL to original factory paint that was sealed under the chrome windshield surround, and the car stopped traffic. It too, was very difficult to photograph with representative hues. (I can post pics if anyone is interested) I have been told by a number of body men, and painters that the modern paint bases behave so differently that only matching from colour chips gives accurate results. (google Ferrari Oro Kelso and see how broad is the range of colours displayed) If anyone has an original body panel with un-faded old Medici blue paint, from a hidden area of their car, I would love to see it. My S2A Seven is paler blue on top, much lighter, but is also very faded. Underneath, below the dash, inside the transmission tunnel, and under the pealing paint on the underside of the fenders I have found a layer of richer, more vibrant blue, and I have colour matched a gallon of paint to this sample. If it looks any good when I spray it I will post the results. I don't know if it is actually Medici blue, but we shall see what it looks like.
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:59 pm

I painted on of my S1's Medici Blue over 10 years ago. I used the original paint reveled as i was sanding the off color changes on the way to the gelcoat. I had a large enough sample to have my paint shop do a prophet read off of and then we started to mix paint ( single stage PPG concept figuring it would look closer to original than base/clear ). I posted the formula on here years ago assume you can find it via search, I also shot a sample and sent it to a forum member for his reference in the hopes that it would be a traveling sample for the community.
On the topic of what it looks like in a picture - well that depends . Ill post a few to show the variety of looks -

First is cellphone a couple of years ago next to a factory medici blue, then a Nikon set up shot a near sun down , then a sony zeiss shot 10 years ago in sunlight and in garage
Attachments
img_20170520_120436.jpg and
dsc00168.jpg and
dscf0428.jpg and
dscf0410_1.jpg and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Cabc26b,
Looking at your second picture posted, I had the strange feeling... Having done something similar.
I remeber having made some screenshoots of the Elan model I am doing from time to time, keeping me able to modelise with 3D software.
I found it; Quite close, no!?!.
virtualelan-06032015e_light.jpg and

Diego,
I notice than you are based in Spain. Do you know about Sebastian Fuentes, from SebClassics near Barcelona?
If not, and it isn't too far from you, he deserve at least a visit , as we 've done this year. This guy is a master when restoring Elan, DB4, or any car he touch.
img_0841modlight.jpg and

Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:18 pm

cabc26b wrote:I painted on of my S1's Medici Blue over 10 years ago. ...

And Gary Anderson still says today that your match is the best in his eyes.

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:06 pm

Hi cabc26b, Your Medici blue car certainly looks very good, and I would be very happy to be able to borrow that sample chip if it is still floating around. I have taken your posted mix formula to a few paint shops and they have all told me that those tints are not available here (perhaps they were but the chemistry has changed?). Where are you located? Maybe I could get some mixed up where you had your paint mixed? If I could borrow your spray-out card/colour chip then I could colour match it. cheers, Andrew
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:12 pm

I sent the sample to Nomad/Kurt in 2017 - ( middle of the US if IRCC) . I would think a private mail to him would be a start ( it also might be also worth getting a fresh batch made )
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:51 pm

cabc26b wrote:I sent the sample to Nomad/Kurt in 2017 - ( middle of the US if IRCC) . I would think a private mail to him would be a start ( it also might be also worth getting a fresh batch made )

Perhaps having a painter analyze the color on the car to create a modern formula would also work.

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: