Cross reference part numbers please

PostPost by: DaveAlmey » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi

Can anyone help with a cross reference or supply of OEM for the headlight dip switch (RHD) 050M6071, thought this might be a Triumph part but they seem to incoporate a side light in it

Also Hand brake warning switch 036M6030

Thanks in advance
Regards

Dave

Yes I know I cant spell, but can weld, spray paint, lay grp and rebuild engines.

69 S4SE DHC
DaveAlmey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:06 pm

According to Robinshaw & Ross the main/dip switches are:

S4 68-70 uses Lucas switch type 102SA with part no. 35778B
S4/Sprint 1970- 73 uses switch type 102SA with part no. 39242A

I've just noticed that there is a 39242A currently on Eeeebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-SPITF ... 3a7d00f955
Steve
'64 S1 Elan (Owned since '73)
'69 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce (Owned since '77)
'70 Morris Minor 1000 (Owned since '85)
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:15 pm

The Lucas part number of the switch in my S4 is 71SA 35775A....it's original as far as I know and looks to be an earlier version than the Robinshaw & Ross number.
Dip switch 001.jpg and

Edit:- Just come across a bit more info in a 1969 Lucas Catalogue of Standard Triumph parts. The switch I have 35775A is listed for a Triumph Herald 1200 and the 35778B switch is listed for a Herald 13/60. The later Sprint switch mentioned above is not listed in the '69 catalogue....might help if trying to locate one.
(To view the image below right click it and open in a new window then click on it to enlarge)
Dip Switch.JPG and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Dave,
Suspect that either 102SA as per Steve's post or 71SA as per Roger's will fit the bill. I have an early '68 S4 and the dip switch is the same as Roger's. The difference, I think, is that the 102SA is a two position switch and the 71SA is a three position switch. If you look closely at Roger's photo, you can see a piece of wood (r/h side of switch) that has been inserted to lock out the third position.
Regards,
Colin.

DaveAlmey wrote:Hi

Can anyone help with a cross reference or supply of OEM for the headlight dip switch (RHD) 050M6071, thought this might be a Triumph part but they seem to incoporate a side light in it

Also Hand brake warning switch 036M6030

Thanks in advance
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm

fatboyoz wrote: If you look closely at Roger's photo, you can see a piece of wood (r/h side of switch) that has been inserted to lock out the third position.

Well spotted Colin. As far as I know that's an "original" Lotus modification - possibly because they used the complete Triumph column assembly and had to modify the switch to suit the Elan application - strange that my car has it though as Robinshaw & Ross incicates it should have the later type.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Dave, not sure of part numbers or all of the source vehicles, but when I was looking I found basically two dip switch types. Both will work in the Elan. I believe both were used in the Spitfire, but not sure of the changeover year for the 'early' to 'late' type; maybe MK 1 to MK 2?. I found the later type was NLA as a new part, so got one from eBay; can't recall if the 'early ' type was available. Anyway, searching on eBay for a Triumph dip switch brought up lots of them. As mentioned, I imagine the Herald uses something similar, but those are very rare our side of the pond so I sourced as a Spitfire part.

Both switches have two (up and down) dedent positions for high and low headlamps. The stock moves within the block shown in the pic above. In addition, the 'later' version has a 'flash to pass' feature which is activated by pulling the stock toward the wheel. This moves/rocks the whole block shown in the pic above. The wood wedge presumably prevents this from happening?

When looking on eBay you can ID the 'later' version by the extra wire in the attached loom; 'flash to pass' needs a Purple supply wire (Hot at All Times, Fused) in addition to the supply wire from the light switch (typically with blue or blue brown colour). I found this one on eBay which looks like what I mean. Note the tip on the stock with this type may be a bit different than the 'earlier' type you are trying to replace, so something to watch for on eBay. Note the four wires; two output and two input.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADLAMP-SWIT ... 35c25438c1

This one looks like the direct replacement with the correct stock end. Not sure why there are four wires on this one as well, so might have that incorrect. At any rate, I would take a shot at either one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Spitf ... 0954664%26

My Plus 2 was originally equipped with the two position 'early' type; the 'flash to pass' feature doesn't work too well with the pods down so is not part of the Lotus wiring. :) I replaced this with the later type with 'flash to pass'. I modified the 'flash to pass' switch output contact within the column switch to separate it from the high beam output, and connected it to driving lamps mounted in the grille.

Quick note on LHD and RHD. Believe they are the same switches. Not sure how RHD is set up, but my LHD car originally had the headlamp dip stock on the left side of the wheel. I changed this to the right side to match current practice in modern cars. This requires reversing the high and low beam switch outputs so that high beam remains in the up position, but does not effect the 'flash to pass' deal.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DaveAlmey » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi

Thanks for all the info on the dip switch, have to say after a lot of hunting about I asked Susam Miller who has a few left...?16.50 plus vat and post...bargain

Now just need to sort the handbrake warning switch..evem SM cant help with that one
Regards

Dave

Yes I know I cant spell, but can weld, spray paint, lay grp and rebuild engines.

69 S4SE DHC
DaveAlmey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:53 am

Dave,
This looks like the one fitted to my '68 S4 with umbrella handle type handbrake lever.
http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct. ... Code=31893

Regards,
Colin.

DaveAlmey wrote:Hi

Thanks for all the info on the dip switch, have to say after a lot of hunting about I asked Susam Miller who has a few left...?16.50 plus vat and post...bargain

Now just need to sort the handbrake warning switch..evem SM cant help with that one
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:17 am

Another one here - slightly better price !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-SMB479- ... 2c6ae36a83
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: