Dilemma- What colour to paint car?

PostPost by: Type28 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:47 am

I bought an Elan Sprint a couple of years ago with the intension of it being a car to use and abuse, rather than be a cosseted show car.
The car has a spyder chassis and fully adjustable suspension all round, so isn?t for the concours purist! - Car looks nice and original from above!
The car was originally Colorado Orange over White when sold new in 1971, but was painted Red over White in 1978 , so for the majority of its life has been a red and white car.
I like both colours but should I come to sell it in the future Orange cars seem to stick around longer?
I am 80% sold on red but I can?t kick this originality thing- I need to keep reminding myself it hasn?t got its original chassis and is not intended as a show car but a nice looking and driving car.
So orange or red what would you do ( I know its my car but it gives us something to talk about on the forum :D )
Cheers
George

Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:59 am

Hello George,

I can see the what you mean... not an easy decision to make!

The original orange over white will appeal to far fewer people than red over white (as may pistachio green or tawny brown etc)

As it already has a non-standard chassis, perhaps go for a colour that you prefer? (but staying with a period Lotus shade)

My 1966 restoration project was originally Cirrus White but I'm not keen, I much prefer Medici Blue or similar!

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:11 am

Type28 wrote:, I much prefer Medici Blue or similar

Hi Mark
Medic Blue my favourite colour. Would really like an S1 or 2 in Medic Blue- but I am sure with an early car I would condemn myself to a concours restoration :D

George
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:29 am

I agree with Mark, if you are going to be using the car rather than a show car then chose a colour you really like, it is after all your car and you should stamp your own mark on it
Enjoy it whatever colour it ends up 8)
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:16 am

Colorado Orange over White Laddie. How many Embassy Elans are there loads of them + Colorado is it's original colour 8). I have a Lagoon Blue over White Sprint fhc 1972 and would never change a Sprint colour from original
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:25 am

What about Regency Red. A standard colour but not common. Goes well with either silver or gold bumpers and wheels.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mmatthej1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:28 am

Mine is something like Regency Red - I've just gone to gold bumpers and I'm pondering what colour for wheels - work in progress!
mmatthej1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:29 am

I would definately put it back to Colorado, not just because of originality, but because it would look gorgeous!!

I would probably go for solid colour as well, rather than it being over white.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Apx » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:41 am

i'll second Orange, i have a 130 in orange and silver and when buying was only looking for Orange, lime green or purple. At the time it seemed to attract a premium due to the rarer colour, there were lots of white, reds and yellows to choose from. I think the ones the have "hung around have more to do with the individual car rather than the colour.
IF EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE GOING WELL, YOU HAVE OBVIOUSLY OVERLOOKED
SOMETHING.
Apx
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ken ob » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:45 am

I'd put it back to orange over white.
Not only for originality but because it looks fantastic.

Ken
Slightly confused by everything since the invention of the wheel.
ken ob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:38 pm

there you go George!

a good variety of responses! :lol:

I had a Colorado Orange Sprint (solid, not over white) many years ago and it was beautiful!

As long as it's in keeping with the car, I would say any colour that you prefer will be fine!

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Nice choice to have ....
team-gold-leaf-sprint.jpg
team-gold-leaf-sprint.jpg (21.64 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
orange-sprint-.jpg and

[google Images]
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:23 pm

I must be the only person who likes the Sprint in Tawny over White and that's not because my Elan left the factory in that colour - I liked it when it first came out in 1972 and felt it gave the Elan a touch of class.

Given that you have already moved away from originality with the Spyder chassis then I don't see a problem with having the personal colour of your choice. The iconic red over white combo will always be a favourite with most. Personally I love colorado over white so would go with that if it was me. There are some colours that don't work on the Elan but you are safe with orange. Good luck, Jim.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks for all your thoughts folks- that's given me something to ponder :D - I did ask!

I'll post a picture when its done.

Cheers
George
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HAIRY » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:44 am

George, one more thought to muddy the water!

It is always good to see S4 Sprints in their eye catching promotional livery. However, many Sprints we are told, left the factory in single colours. So Sprint owners have an additional choice of either staying with the two tone Sprint colour schemes that some suggest detracts from the Elan's form, or go for a single colour that some of us believe is more sympathetic to the Elan's fine shape. As for my two Elan S4SEs, I have stuck with their original Royal Blue and British Racing Green respectively, and not been tempted to replicate the Sprints colourful livery!
HAIRY
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: