DVLA OUTCOME

PostPost by: ttaunton » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Following on from my post on the 8th Sept, everything has now been resolved happily.
Initially, the MOT tester put the Spyder chassis number on the MOT, rather than the Lotus 45/XXXX production number that appeared on the logbook, and on the VIN plate.
When I applied for a V5C to replace the old log book, DVLA queried why the numbers were different, and pointed out that this discrepancy between the MOT and the DVLA vehicle record "may cause difficulty when trying to tax it". They sent a form, asking for the actual VIN number, the (Spyder) chassis number as written on the MOT by the tester, and the chassis number on the log book. They also asked if it had been rebuilt, and asked for details of the rebuild.
I contacted Andy Graham at Lotus Cars who, via my original post, had kindly offered to furnish me with a letter that I could send to the DVLA pointing out that the Spyder number was a "supplier serial number for a replacement subframe, and should not be confused with the original VIN on the VIN plate". I sent off the DVLA form, a photo of the VIN plate, Andy's letter, and a sheet with rough details of the rebuild, and crossed my fingers.
Within a few days a nice new V5C log book arrived, with the correct Lotus VIN number.
Then a few days after that I received a letter saying that the matter had been resolved, enclosing a replacement MOT, bearing the correct VIN.
I then sent off the V10 plus the insurance, new MOT and new V5C and received a Tax disc, and a V5C that says "historic vehicle". Bingo.
Went out for my first run today, all road legal,with no problems. The rebuild took about 5 years, and I didn't use it for about 10 years before that. I don't remember the doughnuts causing so much driveline surge in those days, perhaps the rubber was harder then. Perhaps start looking at a CV conversion. Thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier Post, especially Andy Graham of Lotus Cars.

Tony Taunton.
Picture included, showing Elan with another previous project.
Attachments
DSCN1222.JPG and
DSCN1032.JPG and
DSCN1030.JPG and
DSCN1024.JPG and
DSCN1021.JPG and
P1000159small.JPG and
ttaunton
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:49 pm

Oooh, all shiny underneath.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LotusArchives » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:44 am

Thank you for letting us know the outcome. Did they mention anything about the chassis only showing the Spyder serial number and not a Lotus VIN?

Andy
LotusArchives
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Great news, well done.

I still have not got around to sorting mine; but its good to know it is do-able.
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ttaunton » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:00 pm

The DVLA (rightly in my view) accepted Andy Grahams's premise that the Spyder number is a "supplier serial number", for a replacement sub-frame, and nothing to do with the Lotus VIN. My situation would not have happened if the MOT tester had just looked at the VIN plate in the engine compartment, and used that number instead: although the important thing is for everyone that what we know as a chassis, in the eyes of the DVLA is a subframe and the number stamped on that is irrevelant. If your beloved gets stolen, make sure you have a note of the Spyder number, the number is on a small plate welded on to the chassis easily seen on the passengers side in the engine compartment. The Lotus plate can be removed somewhat more easily!
Tony Taunton
ttaunton
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:33 pm

Good to hear you got it sorted.

I handed over my paper work to the DVLA a couple of weeks back and am still waiting for a reply. Mine was UK registered and then had been taken to Ireland and back again and still has the Irish plates. So I am registering it in my name and trying to get the orginal UK registration as well.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Congrats Tony.

The Moral here (for anyone reading) is to check the MOT at the time and correct it there and then!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: