Elan S4 dashboard replacement

PostPost by: tyasman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:12 pm

To finish off my 1970 S4 I need to replace the dashboard (original) and the vinyl top cover. Does anyone have any contacts?. UK distance/cash no real problem - within reason!
Thanks for replies.
tyasman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: delle » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:25 pm

Hello,

you can try to contact
http://www.classical-dash.co.uk/lotuselans4.html

but I've got no answer now for more than 4 weeks.

The other source I know is on the other side of the pont:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/251314987356?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regards from Germany

Delle
69 S4 DHC
68 S3 FHC
delle
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Tyasman,

I bought my dashboard from Sue Miller. Her supplier was City Polishers.

I bought a replacement as the cost of having it re-veneered was more than the cost of replacement. The new dash looks wonderful and the finish is very good, unfortunately it did not fit correctly. All the holes for the instruments and switches are larger than the original. The instrument holes are so large, that with the instruments in place there was a visible gap at the top. I made a circular packer/shim for each instrument, so that with the instrument centred in the hole the gap is no longer visible. The holes for the rocker switches I lined with black felt ribbon to disguise the gap. By the time I had finished, I wished I had taken the re-veneer option.

I think the problem is that the dash is made from a template (probably an old dash) and that over time it has become worn, a little, every time it is used.

If you go for a new dash check it dimensionally. Don't do what I did and assume it will fit because it looks good.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: marklowe » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi,
I had mine from Paul Matty in January, I think that they are supplied by Classical Dash. I had no problems fitting it as it was a good match for the original, you do need to use the fixing screw bushes from your old dash in the new one.

Mark
Attachments
S6001503.jpg and
S6001488.jpg and
marklowe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Does anyone know where I can get the labelling/screen printing done. I should be able to strip the varnish and re-finish my dash but the lettering is beyond me! Somewhere in the Midlands/Bucks/Oxford area would be ideal.

Regards,
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:23 pm

I used white Letraset for the labels, then spray varnished it to fix them. I think it looks fine!

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:24 am

Many years ago I bought an A4 sized sheet with all the control names on it as individual transfers. I'm sure it came from one of the usual suppliers, either Matty's or CN's (can't remember which).
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:42 am

69S4 wrote:Many years ago I bought an A4 sized sheet with all the control names on it as individual transfers. I'm sure it came from one of the usual suppliers, either Matty's or CN's (can't remember which).

Transfers sound better than Letraset. I shall get in touch with one of the dash manufactures though to see what they can do. I would prefer to retain the original dash as the condition of the wood is very good, there's just a few cracks in the varnish.
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:43 am

Rdent supply these letter sets, listed on their website
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:31 am

Why would you get a whole new dash merely because of some cracks in the varnish ?
I took mine to a cabinet making company who took all the old varnish off with one of those really large belt sanders that are used for table tops etc.
I took with me some transfers that came from CNs, and they stuck a few to a test piece of wood and sprayed them with their usual varnish to ensure the transfers didn't shrink, or bubble up. They didn't.
They then put a couple of coats on the dash, I took it away and stuck all the transfers on, and they then put a couple more coats on the top so the transfers were protected.

As a lot of the original cracks emanated from the fixing screws I modified that system.
Some threaded brass inserts went into the screws holes, standing about half a mil proud. Now the undersides of the big, chrome, Philips screws come down on the inserts, not the actual dash. You can't see the gap, everything looks normal.
This was all done over 20 years ago and the dash is still perfect.

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:32 am

Hi

Re Ralph's comment about fitting "spacers" under the screw fixing heads- good idea- in fact essential if the dash finish is to last.

Another tip- fit the two end bolts in first and don't tighten too tight allowing the dash to swivel slightly then check the gaps between the rear of the panel and the other 4 mounting points- I'll bet that they're not in the same plane resulting in the panel being under constant stress. You might need to pack out with thin shims before fully tightening all 6 bolts.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: redskatejbf » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:44 pm

You could try, Pat Thomas at `[email protected] look under Elan standard road and track. decal set for dashboard code. racedds in interior. About ?18.00 I think.

Regards, John.
The lines fall unto me in pleasant places, yea I have a goodly heritage.
redskatejbf
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: