Lotus Elan

Elan Quandary

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:04 am

I agree with the comments here. If it was closer to Buffalo I might be very tempted...
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 163
Joined: 02 Sep 2011

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:50 am

elanner wrote:The lack of a Twin Cam is interesting. When I first arrived in the US, back in the 80s, I went to a British car show in Vermont at which there were two Elans, the first I'd ever seen over here. Both of them were fitted with crossflow engines. I was amazed and assumed that it was common/standard practice over here to dump the Twin Cam if it became necessary. Clearly that was not case because I've never seen it since.

Nick


The cross flow swap was an inexpensive solution when an Elan was only worth about $3000 in the early 80's and the economy was in the toilet. You could pick up a Fiesta engine from a wreck for $100 and swap the sumps. Even then, rebuilding a worn Twink was close to $2000 installed in the car. If there was head damage, repairs were expensive and many parts were unobtanium at the time.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
User avatar
StressCraxx
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 790
Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:16 am

On a baby Elan it's not difficult or expensive to change it to lhd.
It costs a lot more to change chassis and do the paintwork.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Location: BRITTANY FRANCE

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:53 am

alan.barker wrote:On a baby Elan it's not difficult or expensive to change it to lhd.
It costs a lot more to change chassis and do the paintwork.
Alan

Hi Alan,

I'm considering this for my current project (already have a LHD pedal set and new steering rack purchased a long time ago) : have you done it before, and would you stress the points that require more attention? are harnesses sided ? any comment welcome...

_______

thank you :D
S4SE 36/8198
User avatar
nmauduit
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 831
Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Location: France

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:06 am

I don't think prices paid on Bring a Trailer accurately reflect the current market value of Elans. BAT seems a great place to sell a Porsche but a poor place to sell a Lotus. The reason, I think, is that the Lotus market is much smaller. There is less of a sense of urgency among buyers, which allows for caution. I spent some time looking for an Elan last year. It seems to me that sellers who were patient ended up getting good prices for their cars. The Elan market reminds me of when I was in the market for a Porsche 15 years ago in that regard.

I'm shocked that this car sits if it can be had for $8,000. There's very little a person can buy in the vintage car world for $8,000.

Unless the classic car market absolutely implodes, I believe this will be seen as a great deal in a few years. But I've been wrong before.
elaninfuture
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 19 Dec 2016
Location: Montana, USA

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:42 am

elaninfuture wrote:I'm shocked that this car sits if it can be had for $8,000. There's very little a person can buy in the vintage car world for $8,000.


Unless I'm mistaken, it is not presently offered for sale, let alone for $8k, so it's hard to conclude much on Elans market value from that car...
S4SE 36/8198
User avatar
nmauduit
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 831
Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Location: France

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:44 pm

nmauduit wrote:
elaninfuture wrote:I'm shocked that this car sits if it can be had for $8,000. There's very little a person can buy in the vintage car world for $8,000.


Unless I'm mistaken, it is not presently offered for sale, let alone for $8k, so it's hard to conclude much on Elans market value from that car...


No, you're not mistaken. The car is not presently for sale, and I don't think the owner would sell it at 8,000usd. He knows it needs to be at least partially restored, to return it to running condition, but can't do it himself.
1967 Elan S3
1972 Europa Twin Cam
2005 Elise
User avatar
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 585
Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Location: Richmond, TX

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:28 pm

RogerFrench wrote:
nmauduit wrote:
elaninfuture wrote:I'm shocked that this car sits if it can be had for $8,000. There's very little a person can buy in the vintage car world for $8,000.


Unless I'm mistaken, it is not presently offered for sale, let alone for $8k, so it's hard to conclude much on Elans market value from that car...


No, you're not mistaken. The car is not presently for sale, and I don't think the owner would sell it at 8,000usd. He knows it needs to be at least partially restored, to return it to running condition, but can't do it himself.


Sorry to hear the owner is in such a difficult situation. Hopefully he finds someone nearby to lend him a hand and get it running again.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
User avatar
StressCraxx
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 790
Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California

PostPost by: Davidb » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:37 pm

'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 603
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 pm

I need a larger garage.
elaninfuture
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 19 Dec 2016
Location: Montana, USA

PostPost by: Davidb » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:03 pm

Apparently the Hemmings listing may be a scam!
for-sale-f34/hemmings-for-500-t41243.html
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 603
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:02 am

A Ford BDA engine in it would be nice? :D
Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
User avatar
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1140
Joined: 01 Oct 2003
Location: Cambridgeshire

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks to all who replied with useful suggestions. We may have found someone who would like it. I hope so!
1967 Elan S3
1972 Europa Twin Cam
2005 Elise
User avatar
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 585
Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Location: Richmond, TX
Previous

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests