Elan Sprint 5

PostPost by: nuffink » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi,

I have an Elan Sprint 5 in severe need of restoration...

img_3211.jpg and

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on who to talk to about its restoration.

Bob
nuffink
New-tral

PostPost by: JimE » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:46 pm

The Elan Sprint 5 came out in late 1972 so I can't see how a K reg car can be a 5 speed unless it was converted later on.

The Alex Black thread on this site is a good one to start with as he did a splendid restoration on his Elan Sprint confronting many issues. Gordon Lund's book entitled "Lotus Elan - Restoration Guide" is also still available in bookshops and has some very useful tips. The Elan Workshop Manual is a must. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nuffink » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi Jim,

Yes, it was factory converted to a 5 speed in 1973. I have some documentation.

Thanks for the tips.
nuffink
New-tral

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:28 pm

Can you post up the VIN more info might be forthcoming...
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nuffink » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:29 pm

What's the VIN?
nuffink
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Vehicle Indentification Number. Found on a data plate in the engine compartment, or on the door latch area,
and/or on the frame, on a horizontal flange near the front.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nuffink » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks. I had a brief look earlier for a plate but it was a bit dark. I'll check tomorrow.
I do know (I think) the chassis and engine numbers, if that helps...

img_3228.jpg and
nuffink
New-tral

PostPost by: nuffink » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:17 pm

And here is some of the correspondence regarding the 5 speed retrofit...
img_3221.jpg and

The attachment IMG_3222.JPG is no longer available
Attachments
img_3222.jpg and
nuffink
New-tral

PostPost by: JimE » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:34 pm

I wonder if this is one Tim Wilkes has a record of. Tim?
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nuffink » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:44 pm

I feel I'm letting out information in dribs and drabs here, so here's the story.

I bought it in the early/mid 80's. It was a fixed head, that had been regularly breathed on by the factory (I have the documentation). It was, in succession...
Painted BRG (from Pistachio*)
Converted to a big valve engine
Converted to a 5 speed (and fitted with Sprint 5 badges, a nice touch)
...all by Lotus themselves.
I crashed it after a couple of years and it was repaired (new factory chassis and shell) although the work was never properly completed. It was an expensive nightmare, I'm keen not to repeat the experience, and it's sat rotting in a garage ever since.

* Thanks to the forum member who told me this in a PM
nuffink
New-tral

PostPost by: jimj » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:17 pm

K reg. would have had the big valve engine anyway and there seems some doubt about Lotus actually selling any 5 speed Sprints in reality.
The VIN will tell you what you have but do be clear, a full restoration done professionally would cost a huge amount, more than a chopped FHC is worth, I imagine. Have a word with, say, Paul Matty, but make sure you`re sitting down.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nuffink » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:30 pm

jimj wrote:K reg. would have had the big valve engine anyway and there seems some doubt about Lotus actually selling any 5 speed Sprints in reality.

Ok, that makes sense. I think I've just read the repair invoice wrong.
As I said the 5 speed appears to have been retrofitted by Lotus.

Thanks for the info, do you have a link for Paul Matty?
nuffink
New-tral

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:37 am

Paul Matty - 01527 835656. Bromsgrove. Paulmattysportscars.co.uk

Jim,

There isn't any doubt that the factory produced 5 speed Sprints off the production line they are clearly on the records as I'm sure Tim will confirm. One of our regulars here owns one of them and I was shown an original one in Ken Myers' workshop must be getting on for 20 years ago.

It seems this one is an aftermarket factory conversion of which I believe there were quite a few. Period Sprint 5 badges are a nice touch!

As to restoration of the car - if done nicely sympathetically rather than to exacting standards it will be very expensive but you can save a lot if you can turn your hands to much of the work yourself. If money isn't the issue and you want 'your' car back then the economics don't really come into the equation. However if you don't want to spend more than the car might be worth then selling it might make more sense. Sprint projects are fairly rare and this one with its provenance should fetch a surprising sum on fleabay or similar. The emotion tends to find its way into the bidding process and the reality is that a new owner is most likely to spend more than the car is worth.

If the chassis is still sound and everything else is still there I could see this going for ?15k+ and maybe more if a bidding war starts.

Good luck with whichever way you decide to go with it. Might I suggest a raft of photos before you even wash it down - people love the 'as found' photos.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:41 am

Nice car Bob! With all the necessary paperwork to support the work done at Hethel, this makes for an interesting project.

As you have probably now discovered, your car came off the production line in December 1971 as a Sprint FHC. It was first registered in Exeter during mid February 1972 to Mr Hope, who bought the car directly from the factory. A year later he clearly wanted the benefits of the then new Lotus 5 speed gearbox in his car, as evidenced by the letters you posted above.

The five speed gearbox made its press debut in Autocar of 5 October 1972. The magazine carried the first test of a Plus 2S130/5. ?The new box has been made available as a ?120 option on the Plus 2S 130; when supplies are sufficient the option will be extended to the Elan Sprint.? Lotus press news issued 17 October 1972 at the Motor Show announced ?The Elan Sprint/5 is the latest version of one of the world?s most popular and out and out sports cars. Now in its tenth year of production the vehicle appears for the first time with a five speed optional gearbox.? The official Lotus price list, effective 1 October 1972, lists the option of the 5 speed box, but only for the +2S130 and the Europa.

The exact number of Sprint/5s that left Lotus' Hethel base is a poser as there are apparently no records regarding the number made. In fact, Lotus took completed 4 speed cars from the end of the production line and wheeled them around to the factory service garage, where they would be fitted with the 5 speed gearbox under the supervision of the late Roy Badcock, the Service Manager and the chap who signed the letters you posted earlier. This would account for the lack of any production records and was probably done to avoid Type Approval.

It is also known that several Sprints had the five speed gearbox fitted after delivery, either by the factory or by a dealer, over several years after production ceased in March 1973. A technical service bulletin, issued in May 1974, details the procedure for replacing the Sprint gearbox with a five speed unit. I'm aware of 13 Sprints fitted with the 5 speed box by the service garage during production, all but two of them H type cars for the European market.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:34 pm

The one and only time I was at Paul Mattys (several years ago) he was saying you were looking at ?50k for full restoration so call that ?60K now.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: