Fantastic Rolling Road in Yorkshire

PostPost by: adigra » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:18 pm

After a number of failed attempts I finally found someone local-ish (in Yorkshire) who turned out to be a setup/tuning wizard with a 2400hp rolling road. I genuinely did not know that an Elan can be as good as this. I had about a 50 mile drive home after the setup and I could not stop grinning. The power delivery is so smooth, so effortless, with no hickups, no spitting, no bogging down, just rapid progress in any gear at any revs. Stopping on a hill is no longer a scary prospect! Absolutely awesome.

Anyhow, the chap is John Sleath, near Doncaster, and he's an engine, transmission, drag car builder. He used to drag race an Alfa with a Rover V8 on four Weber 45s, and you can really tell that he knows his way around them. Two and a half hours setting up the timing and the carbs and I have the best Elan I've ever driven. He will be my first port of call from now on.

I am so pleased I had to share it and give him a good review.

Regards,
Adi
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:30 pm

His phone number or webpage etc?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:21 pm

1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Johnfm » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:01 am

Adi

Had you previously tried Bogg Bros near Malton?
1967 Plus 2 #0168
Johnfm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:05 am

No. They were on my list, but after speaking to John on the phone I decided to give him a try. I am so happy I did.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:26 am

Johnfm wrote:Adi

Had you previously tried Bogg Bros near Malton?

My S3 is there at the moment. Good people and superb work
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:59 am

Does anyone on here have similar experience in the Bristol or Somerset area?
I'd love to find someone here with that sort of ability.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:08 am

adigra wrote:After a number of failed attempts I finally found someone local-ish (in Yorkshire) who turned out to be a setup/tuning wizard with a 2400hp rolling road. I genuinely did not know that an Elan can be as good as this. I had about a 50 mile drive home after the setup and I could not stop grinning. The power delivery is so smooth, so effortless, with no hickups, no spitting, no bogging down, just rapid progress in any gear at any revs. Stopping on a hill is no longer a scary prospect! Absolutely awesome.

Anyhow, the chap is John Sleath, near Doncaster, and he's an engine, transmission, drag car builder. He used to drag race an Alfa with a Rover V8 on four Weber 45s, and you can really tell that he knows his way around them. Two and a half hours setting up the timing and the carbs and I have the best Elan I've ever driven. He will be my first port of call from now on.

I am so pleased I had to share it and give him a good review.

Regards,
Adi

cost?......
does he do weekends? (or just mon to fri....cant see and opening times.....or is it a ring and make appointment)
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:34 pm

I think giving him a call is the best way. I believe he lives next to his premises (it's on a farm), and has been quite accommodating to me.

As for cost, it was about the same as labour rates at any of the independent Lotus garages I've been to.

My car took him two and a half hours to do. He whipped off the distributor, adjusted the weights (welding onto them a bit to make them heavier) and springs, tested it a few times, got the timing right, then moved onto the carbs. He made up a set of jets (soldered and drilled), in order to get the size spot on as he wasn't entirely happy with the sizes he had in stock. Based on the measurements of the ones he made he'll order new jets and tubes to drop in an fine tune the next time I stop by.

Like I said, my car runs amazing now. He tuned it under every load at all speeds to get the right balance of power and cruising economy, ironed out all flat spots and got rid of popping on the overrun.

I knew I was going to be happy when I watched him pull cleanly under load from 800rmp without any hesitation and past 2500. That was always a tricky affair in my car.

He was quite happy with the power and torque, but says the exhaust is holding it back a bit.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:41 pm

adigra wrote:As for cost, it was about the same as labour rates at any of the independent Lotus garages I've been to.

lol....
so about ?200 in total then :mrgreen:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:42 pm

A tenner less. 8)
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:27 am

Some things in life are worth paying for.

If I knew of someone of that skill and experience around here I'd be very happy to pay just so I don't have to spend the rest of my life messing with my webbers!
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:07 am

Did he look at the valve timing etc?
Thanks
John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:04 am

He set the timing at the distributor. I had a brand new distributor fitted a couple of weeks ago with Ignitor 2 ignition, but ever since my car was running worse then ever. No wonder, as the initial timing was at only 5deg., but was fine fully open. John found he had to adjust the weights (by adding weight) as well as the springs to get the curve he was happy with.

I don't want to sound like I am trying to sell something, I only just met John, but was so impressed with the results and the way he went about achieving them, it's hard not to sound overexcited.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: