Fuel Pumps Manual or Electronic ?

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Grizzly wrote:Just out of curiosity, how do those with electric pumps run the pressure regulator? do you use a non return set up and put the regulator in the boot or run a return line back front the front of the car?

Tank to filter, then to pump then to regulator (set at 2psi) then carbs.
All this is small enough to fit under the boot floor by the battery.
I now wish I'd fiitted an in line tap between the tank and filter which would allow cleaning the filter without clamping armoured hoses!
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Grizzly wrote:Just out of curiosity, how do those with electric pumps run the pressure regulator? do you use a non return set up and put the regulator in the boot or run a return line back front the front of the car?

Chris,

The regulator doesn't need a return path, it just blocks the excess pressure. I fitted mine in the boot originally but then moved it to after the mechanical pump as that is where it needs to control, but it's tight for space.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:00 am

Quart Meg Miles wrote:

Chris,

The regulator doesn't need a return path, it just blocks the excess pressure. I fitted mine in the boot originally but then moved it to after the mechanical pump as that is where it needs to control, but it's tight for space.

Ahh ok, i'm used to high pressure systems that require a return (that would make sense)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:06 am

Foxie wrote:The main reason I changed to electric pump around 30 years ago was because when I had roadside engine problems in my first years of ownership, I found that to check the pump, the engine had to be running, and to check the engine the pump had to be running. A real chicken and egg situation.

Strangely i found the Glass bowl Fuel pump very easy to check if it's working or not, Shine a torch through the glass and if the fuel is higher than the brass filter it's working if it isn't then it's not........ The same logic of it's been working fine X years later, my +2 still has it's original 1971 Mechanical fuel pump fitted and works fine (i'm a bit of an advocate of if it works leave it)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MenBret » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:16 am

Hello
What's your opinion about this one?
Thanks!
Vincent
Attachments
img_6534.jpg and
MenBret
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu May 04, 2017 1:27 am

MenBret wrote:Hello
What's your opinion about this one?
Thanks!
Vincent

That is the Bendix I commented on earlier.....indestructible but you are going to have a hard time getting at the removable filter on the bottom of it.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu May 04, 2017 6:20 am

What i do with electric pumps is remove the integral filter and put a filter in the line before the pump.
I put a filter that has a glass case and is cleanable. So i can see at a glance if it needs a clean and very easy to access. I prefer to be able to monitor the filter
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: