glue for rear view mirror

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:06 pm

sdenny wrote:
pharriso wrote:No not Silicone! Parts stores carry an adhesive specific for this task by 3M or Loctite

Any reason why not to use silicon? I've used "sanitary silicon" to fix car mirrors before - it's a good "filler" if there's nothing behind the mirror to glue to

Like me, I think you thought the original question was how to stick the mirror glass back in. I think that the question was how to stick it to the windscreen.
Glad it's not just me :roll:
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sdenny » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:29 pm

KevJ+2 wrote:
sdenny wrote:
pharriso wrote:No not Silicone! Parts stores carry an adhesive specific for this task by 3M or Loctite

Any reason why not to use silicon? I've used "sanitary silicon" to fix car mirrors before - it's a good "filler" if there's nothing behind the mirror to glue to

Like me, I think you thought the original question was how to stick the mirror glass back in. I think that the question was how to stick it to the windscreen.
Glad it's not just me :roll:

Shall we go and sit in the corner? I'll go first with the "dunce" hat....
sdenny
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: toggle45 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:18 am

On my early S3, the RV mirror was affixed to the windscreen tensioning rod. Was it different on the Sprint?
Weldon
the dreaded PO himself
toggle45
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:05 am

I would be interested to hear the arguments against Silicone sealant. I have tried various glass adhesive kits with limited success so now use Silicone in all my cars for sticking rear view mirrors. It's safe, doesn't cause any damage to the glass or mirror and if you do have to remove it then it's not that difficult. In an accident I imagine it would give way quite easily too. Over to you...

Nigel F.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:29 am

sorry for any confusion guys....
I put 'mirror' not 'mirror glass' and 'fallen off' not 'fallen out'......
have ordered some of the special stuff, but I would also like to hear any arguments on silicone.....I presume it would be the stuff used for glueing/sealing aquaria rather than the ordinary plumbing variety?

:D fred :D
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:35 pm

toggle45 wrote:Was it different on the Sprint?

Yes, S4 & Sprint dhcs have stick ons...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:12 pm

nigelrbfurness wrote:I would be interested to hear the arguments against Silicone sealant.
Nigel F.

Because it's a sealant & not intended for the job? It worked for you - great., we're happy for you.

The 3M & loctite adhesive are engineered for this task & inexpensive, why take the risk with something else?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:40 pm

sdenny wrote:

Silicon is great for bonding glass to glass or whatever, but it's relatively slow grabbing/curing for the purpose of fixing rear view mirrors in place.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sdenny » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 am

Elanconvert wrote:sorry for any confusion guys....
I put 'mirror' not 'mirror glass' and 'fallen off' not 'fallen out'......

Please don't feel you have to apologise for my stupidity! I've got used to doing that for myself :D
sdenny
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: