grumble moan kvetch

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:28 pm

P1010003.JPG and
once again I mustpull the engine for a bad ring gear/Users/edwardlaw/Desktop/P1010003.JPG
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:15 pm

That's not just BAD - I think its fecked.

Make sure use a Nippon gear driven starter conversion next time.

I'm lucky - 50 years on and mine is still puuurfect.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:34 pm

hi Bill ?.new one on its way and one on the wall to go in ?I think I put it on backwards :oops: ?.this one is more than wounded I used a titan starter motor ... strong like bull ?oh well there were a few things I wanted to do anyway and it will be an enjayable 2 weeks in the garage?glad I bought the hoist and a warm place to work and lots of tools ?.ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Its all part of the fun Ed

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Bill wrote:Its all part of the fun Ed

You Mooses are masochists!

I've just fitted my sixth ring, am I turning the key too hard? Mind you, the last one lasted 100,000 miles, rather more than usual.

IMG_1451 Worn ring gear.JPG and
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:17 pm

There is another 100 thousand miles left on that ...ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:21 pm

twincamman wrote:There is another 100 thousand miles left on that ...ed

There would be if you used a pre-engaged starter motor instead of a device that throws a spinning piece of steel into your flywheel at high speed. :lol:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:19 pm

Gents
Way back when at about 35000 miles I had replace at least 3 thrashed starter pinion gears and 2 starters with bent shafts.
A local club member made up some Nissan pickup truck pre engaged starter adaptors about 20 years ago, replaced mine and ring gear during restro -VROOM -VROOM!!!
Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:44 am

pharriso wrote:

There would be if you used a pre-engaged starter motor instead of a device that throws a spinning piece of steel into your flywheel at high speed. :lol:

What would you recommend, Phil, or should I use the Search menu (positive earth here).
Meg

________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:06 am

Quart Meg Miles wrote:
pharriso wrote:

What would you recommend, Phil, or should I use the Search menu (positive earth here).

Meg, over here we have Gustafson starters sold by Ray & Bean, they are Japanese pre-engaged starters with an adapter plate.

I would just do a search here...I've seen discussion on the merits of the various offerings in the UK.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:34 am

wellll I have Gustov starter sitting on the shelf beside the Lucas starter :? ---the Gustof dissassembled its self and was the reason for the last fly wheel ring gear replacement 6 months ago, It was a hi mile junk yard dog with worn pinion teeth and fresh brushes . I was POd so I purchased the 600 dollar Tilton racer unit . :? ?I did however purchase a Gustov starter for the Europa last year and it has performed well to this point.......and the one in the 7 has been trouble free .....just the one that had the short 8mm cap head bolts holding the body to the adapter
failed .Causing the ring gear to lose its teeth ....ed
Last edited by twincamman on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Bill did the earth move for you yesterday? News report says no one was hurt . ..6.5 will get your attention ....ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:50 pm

[quote="pharriso"
Meg, over here we have Gustafson starters sold by Ray & Bean, they are Japanese pre-engaged starters with an adapter plate.
I would just do a search here...I've seen discussion on the merits of the various offerings in the UK.[/quote]

Thanks, Phil, looks like I could import something for around $180. I'll wait for my hands and bank to recover from changing the doughnuts first.
Meg

Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: