Help pricing an Elan

PostPost by: SENC » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Excellent! Overall this forum has a helpful and extremely knowledgeable lot of members, it will be a great resource to you. Good luck!
Henry
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:47 pm

While you have not posted your exact location, I believe you should take a look through this forum to see if any of the active posters are nearby. Most would gladly lend a hand in seeing this car gets back on the road. You could PM them to see if they were interested, if and when you reach a point of needing some help. Engine in and out as an example.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:57 pm

I think pricing these is very hard, especially as a project. So I am not going to throw a number out.

What say is these aren't really main stream cars like a Porsche. So the pool of interested buyers is smaller and it really worth what someone will pay you for it. So making your pool of potential buyers as large of possible will be the best way to get the price the car deserves.

If you do decide to sell it I would suggest refitting the engine (even if it's a none runner), ensure it rolls, the brakes work and detail the parts included &they fit in the car. This will make the car much easier to transport and open up your pool of potential buyers. Which will hopefully ensure you get a good/fair price and the car goes to a good home.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: m750rider » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Hello Cleva,

That is a great idea - working on it and putting it back together yourself. They are not that hard, plenty of help is available when you need it, and yes, from the pictures you shared it looks very nice.I can imagine you would have a hard time parting with it.

Good luck and best wishes.

I am in western NC, if I can be of any help please let me know.

Bob

1969 S4 SE
45/8842
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RickPierce » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Thank you to everyone for your comments, suggestions and information. I really do appreciate it very much.
RickPierce
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: lotuseuropabrit » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Let us know which area of the Country you are in and somebody will be able help out.
Ray
lotuseuropabrit
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:23 pm

Rick Pierce wrote:Thank you so much Leslie for writing me. You are a voice of reasoning in this group. I used to help Rick work on the cars, so I while I was limited mechanically to being his assistant. I was not the uninterested wife. I know more about working on these cars than what some of the people think I know. I'm starting to think - that I'm not going to sell the car and see what I can and cannot do myself. After sitting in it and looking closer - it is in pretty pristine condition.

Thank you again!
Cleva

Bravo!! Cleva!
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Go for it Cleva your husband will be proud of you. I am restoring a 66 S2 for my wife who drove one when she was a young flying instructor.

Ivan
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:26 pm

I am glad to hear you are planning to do the work and enjoy the car, Cleva. It looks like a great car, and I am sure that many here are willing to help and provide support if needed. It would be great if you would post more pictures, and keep us updated.
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: