Help Regarding First Register Data

PostPost by: umbyfer » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:25 pm

Hi,

i need your help if it is possible. I am writing from Italy (Modena) very closed to Maranello town where Ferrari's factory is based.
I have got a lotus elan sprint year 1971, gold leaf colors, US version. My problem is to show to the italian authority that the car has been registered mor than 30 years ago. My car has been sold to US first and denn re-imported in UK and sold to Italy. In Italy it has been registered, as first registration in Italy, in 1989; this is what is written on the official italian register paper. (circulation paper); but is written "already with USA number palte XXXXX", as well.
I need to demonstrate that my car is not 15 yeras old, but 34; infact my car has been made in August 1971, as shown by the plate fixt in the body and from the chassie code 71 08 000193 K. What can i do? It is possible to recive an official document form the US register office with the date when my car has been registered in US first time?

The American Number Plate is: 1DHS438
The chassie number is: 7108000193K
Model: Lotus Elan Sprint

I thank you in advance for your kind attention and i am wating for your replay.

Regards,
Umberto Ferrari
Modena
Italy
Umberto Ferrari
Modena - Italy
Elan Sprint 7108000193K
Elite SII #1319
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: saarhus » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:44 pm

Hi Umberto,

The person to talk to is Mike Pomfret at Lotus. He has production records for all the Lotus cars in the 1960s and 70s. Just send him the serial number and other details of your car and he will provide you with the origination information you need. His email is: [email protected]

With a name like yours, and living in Modena, Im surprised to see your interest in the Lotus!.

Cheers!

Stan Aarhus
66 Elan FHC
64 Elan Roadster
saarhus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:20 pm

Hi Umberto,

Lotus are really helpful, when I asked they sent me a nice letter with information about when my car was built, what colour it was, who sold it , chassis and engine number, etc.

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:04 pm

Umberto,

Do you have a father, grandfather, or uncle named Enzo?

Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minneapolis
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:06 am

Greetings,
Tracking down an import registration would be very difficult in my opinion. Too long ago.
If you have any information about which state/s the Elan was registered in, I recommend you contact their Bureau of Motor Vehicles, do a "title search" via the internet. You may have to know the county within the state where the car "lived" to find a specific clerk of courts web page. The old paper titles are often kept on file in county courthouses. Do you know how many times it changed owners? What do you need as proof of age? Here in the states we'd go in with some books and say, "hey, look! they quit making them in '73 ! "

Good Luck, Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: