homemade pillar: step by step: no tooling etc..

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:12 pm

i suppose quit a few of us have laminated once or twice in our lifetime: i had more than MY share. but these cheap parts made in 1mil cheap plastic disintegrate: so i fixed ?m: some f u will smile! the green tool is made of
that foam they use for plant arrangements, as my wife does. and yes it did absorb quit a bit of resin. i spent about two hrs. cheers sandy
Attachments
pil8.jpg and
pil6.jpg and
pil5.jpg and
pil4.jpg and
pil3.jpg and
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:26 pm

I keep looking at the photos and reading your posting but I am still none the wiser what part you have made or repaired, could you give a little more detail please, perhaps with some titles to the photos, or is it supposed to be a cryptic quiz?
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:21 pm

its the right pillar which i fixed: every elan (not the lovely +2s) have these pillars which come from the
left and right corners down to the crash pad. they cover the grp window frame and "elongate" the crashpad. or in other words they cover the not long enough dash! the newer elan ones have a hole for the eyeball vent. you can see the original repros on the kelvedon website ----------------- i jst felt like messing with this gooey stuff once
again sandy 36 4982
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PaulFinch » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:03 am

Hi Sandy,

From the first picture it looks like your dash is made from carbon fibre. Did you do this yourself?
PaulFinch
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:37 am

yes i did. just trying to continue colin's direction. lots of our dashes in wood these days are imo also or equally as wrong, at least by a purists' standards. it's basically a 1,5mm verneer and other than all the cables simple to change. cheers sandy j
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PaulFinch » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:02 am

I've no problem with the originality aspect of it, I'm considering doing the same to mine. I'm gradually turning my car into a sprint / competition car but all the bits I've taken off or replaced are being safely stored so a return to original spec will be possible if ever needed.
I want to add a couple of gauges and don't want to start hacking at the beautifully veneered wooden dash so it'll be aluminium or carbon fibre. Cost implications mean aluminium most likely but I've seen a few carbon dashes now and really like the look of them.
PaulFinch
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Rokkbert » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:19 am

I really like what you've done with the dash. It's like you say, if Colin chapman had access to these materials in the 60's, it's what he would have done. Adapt and improve I suppose.
- Robert

'69 Elan Plus 2
Is it still a barn find if it’s your barn?

@margosfast on instagram
Rokkbert
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: