Lotus Elan

jim clarks lotus elan find 30 years ago

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:20 pm

Lotus Components was the development and racing part of the car business at that time. They also made the Lotus 7 on their small production line. It has never had anything to do with component (kit) cars.

Many of the earliest Elans have Components plates, as do the very earliest +2s and you’ll sometimes see them on press cars, specially prepared.

There were not many Elans on the road in the summer of 63. However, with enough brass neck it would be relatively simple to drive off in an Elan through the admiring Silverstone crowd, for all the world as if one did own the thing!

Tim
User avatar
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2717
Joined: 31 Dec 2003
Location: Essex/Herts border, UK

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:21 pm

I wonder if the engine out of 513 WAR wasn't racing the following weekend :D
User avatar
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1605
Joined: 11 Dec 2010
Location: NE UK

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:32 pm

Interesting stuff! In the July 2018 edition of Classic and Sports Car magazine Michael Shryver relates how he was offered this Elan after it had been found in a scrapyard "near Mallory Park" in 1979; he offered it to Simon Hadfield as a parts car but between them they figured out it was a very special car. Had field says that ".. the Elan had no doubt eluded recognition because the rear number plate had only three digits on it and the front grill was missing". Well, as we can see he was wrong about the number plate but the grille certainly was missing! :D
Shryver owned the car for around 20 years.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting the photos.
User avatar
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 4032
Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Location: Cheshire, UK.

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:03 pm

Some interesting inconsistencies in the stories - the first photo clearly shows a complete rear number plate ? But it is a more modern plate than would have been fitted originally. but it definitely has all 6 digits. Perhaps it had no number plate at all?

cheers
Rohan
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 6871
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: yargnitram » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:50 am

This was how it was found as to the number plate these where changed easily And in the late 70s reflective plates where the way to go my 1968 alpine had these on when I bought it but I changed them back to black and silver and had to pay a lot the reflective ones where the standard so cheap as chips
yargnitram
New-tral
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 24 Oct 2018
Location: new zealand

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:44 am

elansprint71 wrote:Interesting stuff! In the July 2018 edition of Classic and Sports Car magazine Michael Shryver relates how he was offered this Elan after it had been found in a scrapyard "near Mallory Park" in 1979; he offered it to Simon Hadfield as a parts car but between them they figured out it was a very special car. Had field says that ".. the Elan had no doubt eluded recognition because the rear number plate had only three digits on it and the front grill was missing". Well, as we can see he was wrong about the number plate but the grille certainly was missing! :D
Shryver owned the car for around 20 years.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting the photos.


I was quite friendly with Simon Hadfield at the time and that's not what he said.
User avatar
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1605
Joined: 11 Dec 2010
Location: NE UK

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:47 am

Mazzini wrote:
elansprint71 wrote:Interesting stuff! In the July 2018 edition of Classic and Sports Car magazine Michael Shryver relates how he was offered this Elan after it had been found in a scrapyard "near Mallory Park" in 1979; he offered it to Simon Hadfield as a parts car but between them they figured out it was a very special car. Had field says that ".. the Elan had no doubt eluded recognition because the rear number plate had only three digits on it and the front grill was missing". Well, as we can see he was wrong about the number plate but the grille certainly was missing! :D
Shryver owned the car for around 20 years.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting the photos.


I was quite friendly with Simon Hadfield at the time and that's not what he said.



Well, that is exactly what was written in the magazine- Julian Balme quoting Simon Hadfield. I'll try to post a photo later.

What did Simon Hadfield say, out of interest?
User avatar
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 4032
Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Location: Cheshire, UK.

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:24 am

He said that the car had been found by a couple of guys in a scrapyard close to his workshop. They sold it, sight unseen, to a well know dealer in the Kent area whom flipped it, sight unseen, to Hadfield and Shryver, whom were very close at that time - they raced together I think Simon prepared his cars. It was only after the car was delivered that they twigged what it was. They dealer in Kent then realised what they had had and tried to buy it back.

I can remember the photos of the car when found by Yargnitram, they appeared in Classic and Sports Car or a similar magazine. The rear plate was as seen in the photos posted on this site.
User avatar
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1605
Joined: 11 Dec 2010
Location: NE UK

PostPost by: ivorbadger2 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:17 am

As an aside and further information. Ian Scott Watson transferred 766 BOO to his Elan +2 by 67, he had kept the number because sir John Whitmore's wife had the a joining number and wished at some point to have the pair. Ian used to drive his Elan +2 quite enthusiastically at Ingliston during SMRC test days. He was accused of being so short sighted that by the time he saw the corner, it was too late to slow down. I will see if I can find a photo.

997 NUR was used by Andrew Cowan to finish 2 nd at the first official race at Ingliston, IWS being the track's creator. Ronnie Mann won in his Elan. IWS once told the story of coming round a corner on a country road and finding an outsize load blocking the road.The story was in MotorSport magazine letters column if any one has a set of them. The Elan apparently fitted under the load. I had always assumed this was 997 NUR, but possibly the other Elan he is mentioned as owning. The photo of Jim Clark sitting on 997 NUR at Edington Mains was taken in latish 63 for Life magazine and IWS owned the car at that time. The photo was supposed to be used in late November for an article in Life, but the article never made it into Life.
ivorbadger2
New-tral
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 31 Dec 2018
Location: uk

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:28 pm

ivorbadger2 wrote: IWS once told the story of coming round a corner on a country road and finding an outsize load blocking the road.The story was in MotorSport magazine letters column if any one has a set of them. The Elan apparently fitted under the load..

Which year was this, please, Ivor?

Twenty years ago I used to drive under a forestry bar-barrier to see Nightjars, to the amazement of other viewers.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
User avatar
Quart Meg Miles
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 857
Joined: 03 Oct 2012
Location: West Sussex, UK (South coast)

PostPost by: ivorbadger2 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:32 am

Quart Meg Miles wrote:
ivorbadger2 wrote: IWS once told the story of coming round a corner on a country road and finding an outsize load blocking the road.The story was in MotorSport magazine letters column if any one has a set of them. The Elan apparently fitted under the load..

Which year was this, please, Ivor?

Twenty years ago I used to drive under a forestry bar-barrier to see Nightjars, to the amazement of other viewers.


late 60s or possibly very early 70s
ivorbadger2
New-tral
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 31 Dec 2018
Location: uk
Previous

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests