Lotus Elan S1 26-0544

PostPost by: Froggy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to track down one of the cars I owned in my youth (That I sadly no longer have!!)

The car was a Lotus Elan S1 DHC. At the time it was Purple (Not the best colour I accept!!), but not sure what it would be now.

Chassis number 26-0544

Engine number is LP1311

The number plate was DYG 564B, which is probably irrelevant by now with the way people change plates. That's also assuming it is still in the UK of course, as I know these little cars are collectable around the world these days, and at the time Japan was a popular destination for them.

I may have some pictures of the car somewhere, should anyone know the current custodian and wants to send them this way. I'd certainly be interested in what it's done in it's life since I had it.

Many thanks

David
Froggy
New-tral

PostPost by: lotusfan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:36 am

David

The DVLA website says that the car was last taxed until 1 April 1981, they have no MOT history and the colour was purple.

This is where I got the info https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:24 am

David, that was a notable car since it was one of the first Elan 1600s produced with a Lotus made body, or at least the records show it has the earliest known Lotus (as opposed to Bourne) body. It was invoiced in March 1964, whilst the first time a Lotus body was fitted was to a car invoiced in January 1964, though that body number was higher than your old cars.

Other than that I have no record of it's present whereabouts. When did you own it?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Froggy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 am

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I can see, but as a friend who's a PC pointed out to me this morning, if it's had a plate change the system doesn't always show correctly.

Another point he made, was if the person who got it after me put it somewhere ready to restore at a later date but never got around to it, the likelihood is that there wouldn't be a further entry on the DVLA site.

I bought it after '81 and had it for a number of years, and the MOT search doesn't show that I suppose.

The other likelihood is that it may have been exported, as most people don't notify DVLA, as they should, when a car is exported.

Hopefully its having a charmed life somewhere.......
Froggy
New-tral

PostPost by: Froggy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:36 am

Hi Tim,

I had the car from 1988 - 1990's

Prior to this the car had only two other owners, my old boss (who I bought it from) and his brother.

I was told some years ago that it might have been exported to Japan (Which could explain why it doesn't show up on any records), so not sure if any of the readers are from that part of the world??

Regards

David
Froggy
New-tral

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks David.

So your bosses brother was D Hill?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Froggy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi Tim,

Strangely enough, although the Lotus records did show D Hill as the original owner, he was never on the old V5. So the only previous owners to when I had it were both called Wise.

I did at the time get confirmation from Lotus that D Hill bought it in Kit form on 23/03/1964. Not sure whether he was a dealer perhaps? All I know is that the V5 when I had it (With my name on it) showed my Boss's brother (Wise) and only '1' Former keeper, which would have been my boss (Also Wise).

I still see him occasionally. I'll ask him about that part of the mystery next time I see him. That bit will be easy to fill in, it's the part forward that appears to be the difficult bit.

Regards

David
Froggy
New-tral

PostPost by: Bill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Hello David

I have 26/0538 which I purchased from the factory (Mar.1964) I also have a photo copy of the factory shipping log of the time of the shipping with some details of my car AND yours.

Here are the details for yours; Unit # 3480 (mine is 3476), chassis # 0544, body #3015, engine # LP/1311 (I'm #1312). It was sold to D. Hill Mar.23/64 on invoice numbers EIC 51128 / 51908 dated Mar.23 1964.

A little history for you.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Froggy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Hello Bill,

It's a small world!!

That certainly all ties in with the information I was previously supplied, and with what Tim posted earlier.

Hopefully someone out there will know where it is now, which will fill in the gaps.

How fascinating that you hung onto it for all these years. You certainly don't hear of that happening very often.

Thanks again

David
Froggy
New-tral

PostPost by: Bill » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:27 am

Well David _ I have never found another vehicle that gave me greater sport driving pleasure than my Elan.

It is Still driving well (as am I).

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: