New car arriving

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:56 pm

Hi Everyone.
My first post on this forum, so here goes :? I am taking delivery of a sprint dhc this wekend which is in need of some serious TLC.
It has had a new Lotus galv' chassis about 3 years ago so I don't think it will need the body off. Plan ''A'' (providing inspection goes to plan :? )
is to remove and renovate each corner with whatever is needed to bring up to spec'.
Question...being away for so long (I sold my +2 s130) quite some time ago) I have lost touch with what's what so... What about mods? Anything recomended whilst I have the suspension/brakes etc off the car? New poly bushes for eg?? How's about brake parts? Uprated discs/calipers??
I aim to strip off each corner, beadblast carefully any parts needing painted, powdercoat where applicable, then rebuild. Engine is fine. Body will need painted but is good. Interior is tired but complete and intact.

The car has a genuine lotus hard top with it. Does anyone know how this attaches to the top of the screen and to the rest of the car for that matter?

Any comments/help appreciated.

Alex B 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:17 pm

Alex,
Welcome back! Answers to most of your questions can be found in the archives, but "genuine Lotus hard top" for Sprint? Hmmmm.... :twisted:

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:38 pm

Alan

Welcome to the forum - as Pete says there are a lot of tips hidden away here although sometimes a bit of digging via the "search" is needed.

I have recently started getting my Sprint FHC back on the road after a long lay up and after some debate with myself and others so far I have done the following, which may give you some ideas.

Front

- replaced old wishbones with Spyder tubular ones
- dump servo and replace front caliper/disc and dustshield with the + 2 ones
- uprated Spyder antirollbar
- poly bushes for ARB and trunnions
- my trunnions and stub axles were worn so replaced

Rear

-New Spyder adustable A frames
-Syder RSC conversion
- Sue Millers driveshafts
- new discs and exchange calipers

When the credit card has recovered then am proposing

- alloy fuel tank
- alloy radiator
- alternator conversion

Spyder have been very helpful for powder coating or black etching of parts if you don't have anyone local.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks for that people. I think the old credit card is going to get a melting here. :?
As far as the hardtop goes..... It has a Lotus Lable on it! The car was owned for the last 20 years by a doctor who never fitted it to the car. Are they hard to come by? I almost said keep it/bin it I don't want it etc. As I won't use it during winter etc I was not sure I was going to uplift it with the car. I was going to ask his wife to dispose of it. Mistake??

By the way.. The gentlman died recently hence car was sold. :cry:
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:59 pm

Hi Again,

Dump servo? replace with?? or leave out completly?

RSC conversion? what dat?

Lookin on Spyders web !

Thanks. 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:42 pm

Alex

If you look back through the postings there is quite a bit on removing the servo - or not! I understand that the +2 front brakes are a worthwhile upgrade and the other thing that swayed me is that the cost of a refurb for the servo seems astronomical. I still have some work to do and have not finished refitting everything - I may leave the unplumbed servo in place for appearance.

Have a look at the Spyder website for info on the RSC.

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:30 pm

Hi Richard,

Had a read regarding servo removal. Looks like the troops are trying to achieve a firmer pedal. V difficult! Never really managed this on my +2s'. Problem was piston travel in the callipers. Any slight run out on the discs at all = excess travel = soggy feel to the pedal. I think I will have a go with the new discs, ss hoses etc 1st then report back.

I also had a look on Spyders web and I like what I see. That rear end conversion looks cool. What effect do any mods make on car value. Is it better to keep it as near standard as poss' in that respect? I may be forced into repacing bits but I don't know yet as I have not been under the car as such. I pick it up this friday!

A Good clean is 1st! :?

8) Alex B
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robcall » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

RSC won't fit on the Lotus chassis.
I came from Kirkcaldy originally-now residing down-under
Nigel
robcall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:50 pm

Hi,
Thanks for that. Another bit learnt! Think of the dosh I can save !!
I am in Dunfermline area..Still..

My +2s' were reg LMP413K (s130) and 1053K (STD +2)

LMP had its roof removed :cry: Still have pic's of it during Club Lotus track days at Knockhill. Got fairly respectable times. Went home with no brakes or tyres... :D

1053K I never saw again :? :?

AH well !!
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:44 am

Alex...that roof is worth lots of ????. The last I saw on eBay went for about ?450. Don't throw it away.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:46 am

Alex,
Think carefully about doing a corner at a time if you intend to use the car in between, you need to keep the suspension balanced left to right.

If you are just refurbishing, you MAY get away with corner at a time but not if you modifying it.

regards
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jolly Jumper » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:51 am

alexblack13 wrote: Body will need painted but is good. Interior is tired but complete and intact.

On an Elan, a respray usually is the single most expensive item on the list, don't underestimate it. It's not a matter of spraying on new paint. For a nice result which will last many years you need to build up new gel coat.

Costs are very much dependant on labour rates and condition of the body, but can be anything from 2500 BGP to 6000 GBP :shock: And you need to find someone who is really experienced with GRP, but this should be no problem in the UK. Anyway, it's worth it! :)
Jolly Jumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:53 pm

Thanks again guys. I can't believe the help and advice I am getting here,
It truly is brilliant. Please keep it coming.

Roof... :shock: :shock: struth! I will bring it home with me then. But How does it fit on?? Anyone ?? Looks like rain am friday (when I collect the car) and the hardtop could be a godsend.

Paint.. Yep I was budgeting for at least 2K. My mate is restoring a californian Daimler Dart SP250 and used a local GRP expert who charged him 1800 nicker and the body is braw. So I am going to the same place. I recon 2 - 3 K will do it ok. The body really is quite good so I don't expect any shocks here.

Mods etc/Corner at a time..... Yes good advice thanks. I will be doing an axle at a time really and no rush. First job will be a good clean of the engine bay and a thorough inspection. Depending on findings I will then either A) get stuck into it , or.. B) ferry the car up for painting after stripping out interior removing doors, bootlid,bonnet, lamp pods etc etc. And leaving it with the paint shop over the winter letting him get on with it as n when. I have other cars so I don't need it for transport so no rush at all really. I will just have to put up with my Z4 :D :lol: Needs must eh!!

Cant wait... :D
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:42 pm

Hi again all,
Well, its on my driveway :D :D The run down with it went very well. No major snags. Runs straight n true brakes quite well and not too noisy... Fuel guage u/s... panel light on = tacho on.off.on etc. So I suspect a bad earth somewhere. One or two wee leaks is all. Door locks don't work, and can't get the seats to move.

All n all not too bad...... :D :D

Going to try n fit the hard top in the interest of security till I get it into the workshop. Great big security lock on the little steering wheel at the moment.

Cheers all... Thanks for the help etc... Alex B
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:55 pm

alexblack13 wrote: Great big security lock on the little steering wheel at the moment.

Is that to stop the steering wheel been stolen or the car :lol: (Chapman wheels get a good price on ebay :lol: )
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: