PostPost by: mikealdren » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:19 am

Mike,
Club Lotus usually stock it

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:56 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm hoping to locate a copy of Brian's book and it sounds like simply posting here and getting it touch with Brian himself may be the best way to do just that. Paging Brian...paging Brian....

Thanks!
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:33 am

Hi,

I bought mine directly from Brian, really worth having this book. Postage was quite expensive for me here in New Zealand, but Brian split the costs with me which was very kind of him.

I think you may be able to get them online here for new ones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new

or here for used ones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... ition=used

Thats assuming that they really are in stock. :idea: Not sure where you are located but they seem to have some listed in both UK and USA.
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:35 am

UNCbigM wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm hoping to locate a copy of Brian's book and it sounds like simply posting here and getting it touch with Brian himself may be the best way to do just that. Paging Brian...paging Brian....

Thanks!

Morgan, believe you are in the States? Welcome to the forum and madness; took a peek at your intro post.

I got mine from Foster Cooperstein. Not sure if he still has some, but worth a try as he ships from this side of the pond. Here is a link to his vendor listing, which got buried on the second page.

business-listings-f3/lotus-books-and-more-t21295.html

HTH. Excellent book by the way.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:02 am

Brian Buckland
9 Grove Avenue
Coombe Dingle
Bristol
BS9 2RN

Telephone 01179049549

He is very happy to talk to you. His email address if you have it is not working at the mo as he is changing suppliers.

What a magic book and incidentally a magic chap.
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:04 am

I think that Club Lotus in the UK sell the book for ?20 less than I paid when it first came out; I'm not sure if that is a general price reduction.
Brian does post on here but I can't remember his exact user-name, unfortunately.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:45 am

elansprint71 wrote: Brian does post on here but I can't remember his exact user-name, unfortunately.

"Brian Buckland, the Elanman" = elanman

HIH - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:08 pm

I bought a copy of Brian's manual last autumn from Waterstone's here in the UK by internet order. It cost ?50 and was worth every penny. Everyone I have shown it to has been blown away by the text and the beautiful photographs. I love his description of some procedures in the official Lotus manual as being "Lotus nonsense". Priceless advice from someone who really knows what he is talking about. As I start rebuilding my Sprint it will be absolutely invaluable.
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm in touch with Brian via PM.

Any other essentials that I MUST have?

Thanks all!
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Brians book is excellent, but you need it as an addition to the Workshop manual so make sure you have a copy of a relevant one of those. I have the S1-S4 and Sprint workshop manual, but I also printed one of the earlier manuals (Elan type 26 workshop manual, downloaded from here a while back) as I find this to has a lot of information in common, often in a lot more detail. I have the s1-s4 and sprint parts manual, which is a nice to have but not essential IMHO. Again I have one of the earlier parts manuals (S1, S2 and Coupe master parts list, also downloaded from here) which I find more useful than the later one as it includes original manufacturers and their parts numbers for many of the parts (again a nice to have but not essential).

Other "nice to have" books are Miles Wilkins Twin Cam engine book and Robinshaw and Ross books if you can get these at a reasonable price.
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:49 pm

UNCbigM wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm hoping to locate a copy of Brian's book and it sounds like simply posting here and getting it touch with Brian himself may be the best way to do just that. Paging Brian...paging Brian....

Thanks!

Try Foster Cooperstein. Check his web site http://www.totlanebooks.com I know he carries the book as well and he's in in the states.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ricarbo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:07 pm

I ordered a copy from Waterstones here in the UK on Wednesday. ?50.00, free postage and packing. Received it today.
Immediately turned to the section on steering racks, as my exchange rack from one of the well known suppliers has always been wrong - the tyres rub on the antiroll bar - MOT failure if they notice it, which they don't, always.
Discovered that there is a difference in the lock stops for the Sprint (which is what I have) and earlier models with narrower tyres. Could well be the explanation I have been seeking for years.
Also explains how to modify a Triumph Herald rack. Some years ago I bought a brand new one of those, hoping I could use it. I never thought my exchange 'reconditioned' unit was that good, as it had 'staked' bushes, rather than new ones. Now it looks as though I can, although there is still an area of doubt as two different pinions were used on the Herald (6 tooth and 7 tooth), according to the Triumph Sports Owners Association Queensland Inc website page on steering racks. I don't know which I have, nor which is correct.
This information alone is worth the ?50.00 spent, to me.
Richard
ricarbo
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi all,

Yes, you can get the book from Foster at http://www.totlanebooks.com

We are in the midst of planning a presentation by Brian, here in Upstate NY this October. Dont know where yet. Might be at my house in Buffalo or perhaps somewhere close. If you are in the Upstate NY, Toronto, Western PA, Northern OH area, keep the dates open. Dont know when yet but I am working on it with Brian.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:32 pm

As I posted in a new topic....

Hello all,

This would be of interest to those of you in Upstate NY, Toronto and Niagara region of Ontario, Northwest PA, Northern OH.

I am in the planning stages of having Brian Buckland do a lecture, talk, presentation on the Lotus Elan the weekend of Oct 20, 2012. Brian is from the UK and is the author of the fantastic Addendum manual for the Elan. Brian is one of the worlds most knowledgeable people on the Elan and it should be a good talk. Current plan is to hold it at my house on Sunday Oct 21st. My house is located in Williamsville NY, which is a suburb of Buffalo. We will also have some sort of gathering that day as well, if we get enough interest.

What I would like to know is if any of you would be interested in coming?

This is really a nice thing for Brian to do.

Please let me know right away as Brian has to make plans if he is to include us.

You can email me at tvacc *at* the website below.

Anthony R Vaccaro
716-689-9100 (Store)
716-861-1412 (Cell)

tvacc wrote:Hi all,

Yes, you can get the book from Foster at http://www.totlanebooks.com

We are in the midst of planning a presentation by Brian, here in Upstate NY this October. Dont know where yet. Might be at my house in Buffalo or perhaps somewhere close. If you are in the Upstate NY, Toronto, Western PA, Northern OH area, keep the dates open. Dont know when yet but I am working on it with Brian.
Last edited by tvacc on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Any shops here in the States sell the book?.........or did I over look that.
It appears the Waterstones will ship too me.
Mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: