North Yorkshire Sprint FHC Rebuild

PostPost by: silverlink » Fri May 02, 2014 8:23 pm

Latest photos from Mick at SMS who informs me car is well on way to completion, I am going down to Spalding next Thursday to view the car and if happy with it I should be able to pick it up the following week.
2nd May A mod.jpg and

2nd May B mod.jpg and

2nd May C mod.jpg and

2nd May D mod.jpg and

2nd May E mod.jpg and

Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Thu May 08, 2014 6:09 am

Well todays the day,
Yes I'm about to leave to see my car for the first time since I left it at the painters for its total re-spray. SMS in Spalding have asked me to travel down and check the car before they release it back to me. If all is well I hope to get it back sometime in the next week.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:19 am

Hope it all meets your expectations Ian. We look forward to seeing the photos of the finished article!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Thu May 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Ian,

Will you and your Sprint make it to the next Nyloc meeting ?

Hope so.

Doug
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Thu May 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Finally back home after a hectic day out, trains were very good, on time to the minute! Managed around an hour & half at SMS with Mick who'd been working on my car. Had a good look round and can only say what a brilliant job he's done on it. Firstly the doors are now fitting as they should after many hours of re-profiling and good news, the Austin/ Morris 1100 door seals I purchased years ago fit perfectly. Mick also tells me he's also spent a fair amount of time on the headlamp pods getting the right profile. He showed me a couple of other Elan's that were in for work and when you compare the fit of the standard pods compared to his rebuilt ones on my car the difference is amazing. Lots of new chromework that really sets the car off but the paintwork can only be described as stunning. Whilst there I took some video and at same time a few stills which I enclose.
Doug, I don't think the car will be ready for the next Nyloc meeting as I have to get it to Bogg Brothers for a little mechanical work but would like to think June could be possible.
Whilst looking at the car you can see the tyres which were put on quite a few years ago but have never been used, does anyone have any views on weather they can be used after all this time. I had a good look at them and they look fine.
Mick has still got a bit more painting to do along the lower sills (Satin Black as original)
Note shut lines round headlamp bowl
8th May A.jpg and

8th May B.jpg and

8th May C jpg.jpg and

2nd May D mod.jpg and

8th May E jjpg.jpg and

Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:11 pm

The pods fit great. So good in fact that I'd be worried the paint will chaffe or chip when they rotate. Have you checked that?
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Fri May 09, 2014 7:52 am

Mick who is doing all the work tells me this is one of the mods that SMS do regularly so no fears of any bodywork catching. He will have had the pods up and down a few times while fixing lamps into place.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Fri May 09, 2014 8:33 am

Look forward to June meeting then Ian. I have to agree it looks fantastic.

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri May 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Looks stunning!

Pistachio for the win!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Sat May 31, 2014 6:05 pm

Whilst waiting for my car to arrive back from painting I thought I would take the opportunity to tidy up my garage. I decided I would insulate and redo the electrics followed by painting the concrete floor. Here are a few photos of our first day on the job where we have fitted battens and some insulation. We managed to get through four masonry bits doing them as the bricks were so hard.
Garage Insulation B Mod.jpg and

Garage Insulation A Mod.jpg and

Garage Insulation C Mod.jpg and

Tomorrow I hope to fix the plastic sheeting over it all ready for panelling with plywood, I also intend doing the roof the same way.
Thanks
Ian
Last edited by silverlink on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:59 pm

Just getting ready to collect my car from SMS in Spalding, away at 6am tomorrow 3rd July. Unfortunately I'm unable to take it to the garage that's going to get the engine and brakes sorted for me as they have to much work on at the moment. I'm hopeful I will be able to get it in with them in next couple of weeks, after all what's a couple of weeks when its been off the road for twenty years!
Whilst its been away I've been busy sorting out my garage in preparation for its arrival home, thankfully I've just about managed to get it ready in time for tomorrow. I'm short of a couple of fluorescent lights for back of garage but that's well away from where it will stand. I've attached a couple of photos for you to see.
Garage 2nd July C Mod.jpg and

Garage 2nd July B Mod.jpg and

Garage 2nd July A Mod.jpg and

I will post photos of car when I get it back home tomorrow
Wow! isn't this exciting :lol:
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:33 pm

I hope you're using a wide angle lens as it appears your garage is about 4' wide & even an Elan would not fit!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:30 pm

Where your car is to stand, please put some protection on the brick wall as no matter how careful we all are the door edge is vunerable to being opened on to the wall with dire consequences.

Piece of foam, carpet, anything soft but do it before your car gets in there.

Doug
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi Phil & Doug,
Yes I was using a 10mm-20mm wide angle lens set a 10mm which is very wide so it does make it look narrow. The overall width is approximately 7'-8" x 28' long so enough room for an Elan, I spent more than 15 years reversing my car into it followed by a Fiesta RS which was quite a bit wider and yes Doug, I did have carpet on wall to protect rear bumper and wing mirror at front. I will get something on wall to protect the bodywork.
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:31 pm

After a hectic day out which started at 5am this morning I finally arrived home at 4.30pm with car all in one piece. Now locked away in its nice new garage where I hope to get some more work done on the mechanicals in the hope of getting it stared after all these years.
Interestingly both the brake and clutch master cylinders are both empty of brake fluid so where has it all gone? everything is dry around the pipes and there was no fluid under where the car had stood in the garage. Any suggestions most welcome.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: