Check the carpet.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
36/5727 pre airflow coupe
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:00 am

At The moment I have no footwell carpet in the car but even so the floor is completely dry.
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:46 am

Hi all,
After what seems to have been an eternity I’m finally in a position to put my Elan back on the road, however, I still need to do a couple of things to complete this. The car is insured and has got a current MOT but as yet I haven’t got it taxed. I did contact DVLA a couple of years ago regarding my log book which was still the old ‘green’ one and got some great help from a chap who sent me a new V5C paper one.
I’m not sure here but if anyone can assist please let me know, I have to fill in section 7 of the V5 where it mentions ‘Taxation Class’ with ‘Vintage Vehicle’ and also fill in a form ‘V10’ (whatever that is) and take them along with my MOT to a Post Office that deals with car tax. They then send to DVLA who then tax the car.
I do have one big concern here and that is as I took the car off the road back in the late 1980’s it has never been SORN. Am I going to be in trouble? I’ve never had any correspondence from DVLA regarding this not even when I contacted them about getting a new V5C.
Your thoughts would be most welcome.
Cheers
Ian H
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ldtjohn » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi i have just got my Elan Sprint DHC back on the road after 33 years and had no problems with DVLA and i did not have a SORN either. I did it all on line and got a new log book in the post from DVLA, so best of luck. What work did you have to do to your car and how come it took so long? :lol: :lol:
ldtjohn
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:45 pm

Ian,
I don`t think you have anything to worry about.
My car had been off the road for a long time before I bought it and was not taxed, insured or MOT`d. during that time. It had passed through three owners while off the road.
The man at the DVLA office said it was probably last taxed in the mid eighties, but their records were sketchy from that time.
I don`t think SORN had been invented then.
He changed the class from Private/light goods to Historic, so no fee to pay, issued a free tax disc and sent me on my way rejoicing. That was in 2011 when I put it on the road.
You can probably look at the V10 on the DVLA website.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC ( just had the first run of the year to the local Club Lotus meeting )
ericbushby
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks for your replies guys,
I'll get in touch with DVLA and see what they say.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Mon May 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Just letting you all know that after something like 25 years I've finally got my car on the road again!!! been out for a couple of short runs in it while the weather is good. The runs went well but just got home and driven into garage when the engine suddenly cut out. I don't think its a problem with the battery as the electric fan was still working fine however the ignition light on speedo does not light up now. The ignition turns the starter ok but I don't think there's a spark.
Any advice greatly received
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: