North Yorkshire Sprint FHC Rebuild

PostPost by: silverlink » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi all,
This is my first attempt on here with pictures so here goes, This is my Sprint FHC which I have only owned for the past 41 years! I have for far to long been trying to restore it but after a few problems especially with the paintwork I lost confidence in it and pushed it to the back of the garage and put a cover over it.
Now after many years my two daughters have made me see sense and get it back on the road. I did manage to rebuild most of the chassis and re-trim the interior but I have found quite a few gel cracks have appeared and therefor have decided to send the car to SMS at Spalding for it to be sorted.
Front in garage A Mod. jpg.jpg and

Rear A Mod.jpg and

The chassis has had every nut and bolt replaced and many bits powder coated, most non stressed nuts and bolts have been replaced with stainless ones. The brake pipes, fuel line, clutch pipe and oil pressure pipe are made from Aeroquip Stainless with all stainless connectors. These were made up specially for me by Banks Service Station in Southport.
I replaced the fuel tank many years ago with a Spyder aluminium one after the usual rusty bottom of the original started to leak.
I will post more information on my restoration shortly.
Thanks
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Good to see another one coming back together!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:22 pm

Looks like a great job - well done :D
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:14 pm

Absolutely lovely! Only the 2nd full Pistachio Sprint FHC that I've seen :-)

It will be a joy to have back on the road.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AndrewP » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:29 am

Ian

Well done, top colour.
Where does your car fit in the year and chassis number sequence.

Andrew
AndrewP
72 Elan Sprint FHC
AndrewP
New-tral

PostPost by: silverlink » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:41 am

Hi Andrew,
The car was first registered on 1st Aug 1971 not sure on chassis number sequence.
I think one or two think from my pictures the car is nearly finished, the chassis is pretty much done however, the photos show the car in really good condition which is not really how it is. There are a few cracks in the paint and in places you can see the fibreglass matting showing through. I think I should have put more polyester spray filler on when I started the respray.
The car is going to SMS in Spalding next Tuesday where it is to have a complete respray, I'm hoping that will be the only major job but as the car hasn?t been started for quite some time I have my fingers crossed the engine will be ok. Last time it ran it was filled with Millers Classic oil and the water had special anti-corrosion additive added.
ACOUPLE OF PICTURES OF CHASSIS PRIOR TO FITTING
Chassis A mod.jpg and

Chassis B mod.jpg and

Thanks
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:47 pm

Ian,

SMS do a good paint job, and are slow, which is probably a good thing. In my case the body was finished much sooner than I was ready for, so I was not concerned about the time taken. They are not so good with spanner and screw driver. I don't know how much of your car is going there, but if they dismantle and reassemble anything you should check their work.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:13 pm

Ian
Good to see another FHC Sprint coming back to life.
I've only had mine for 32 years!
The paint work on mine is equally poor but not too bothered as I am not looking at the paintwork when driving!
Good luck with getting yours back on the road
Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:19 pm

Congrats Ian! Great to see another on the road again. And good job posting the pics. We all love seeing pics. Then we all can tell you what to do !!! Ha! For instance, great chassis pic but it seems to be missing the rear donuts. Don't forget to replace them. If they've been sitting for years, replace them. For that matter, get rid of them. Go see Susan Miller or one of the other fine parts vendors.

As you can see, we are all real good at spending your money.

Also, here is what the problem is with all of our paintjobs. We look at them when the car is standing still. if we look at them with the tail hung out, there is nothing wrong with the paint at all!

Good luck and congrats on have some very astute daughters!!

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks guys for your comments,
With reference the chassis Frank, the photos are early ones (pre Digital) and since then all dounuts are now fitted as is brake pads etc. I think its certain I'll be getting rid of the current drive train and replace it with something like the Sue Miller one. I spoke to Sue recently and she tells me she no longer builds these and has passed them over to Pat Thomas at Kelvedon. I do see Paul Matty does some and from what I read they're the Sue Miller ones.
As I've spent so much time and money on the chassis and interior I feel the bodywork needs sorting by a professional so am entrusting that job to SMS. Other bits I'm thinking of using are Electronic ignition, High torque starter and perhaps an Alternator in place of the Dynamo but there again that wouldn't be standard would it.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:54 pm

Well today was the day my car saw the light of day for the first time in at least five years! and what a day, heavy rain and high winds. I was lucky to have a local transporter with a covered truck so the car was kept dry for its 140 mile trip to SMS in Spalding Lincolnshire. I have attached photos of the move.
GETTING READY FOR MOVE OUT OF GARAGE
Home A 11th Feb 14.jpg and

Home B 11th Feb 14.jpg and

Home C 11th Feb 14.jpg and

Home D 11th Feb 14.jpg and

BIT OF TAPE REQUIRED TO HOLD DOOR CLOSED!!!
Home E 11th Feb 14.jpg and

Home F 11th Feb 14.jpg and

Home H 11th Feb 14.jpg and

LOADED ON WAGON
Home I 11th Feb 14.jpg and

FINALLY AT SMS WORKSHOPS TO JOIN AT LEAST FIVE OTHER ELANS
Home K 11th Feb 14.jpg and

The paint is to be stripped and all gel cracks repaired along with 'cut and shut' of door bottoms suffering the usual problem of bad fitting because of old Lotus moulds. I will keep you all up to date with the rebuild, please feel free to ask any questions.
Cheers
ian
Attachments
Home J 11th Feb 14.jpg and
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Your car looks really nice in the pictures already!

Congrats on it seeing the road. When will you get her back?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks Phil,
Fraid its a bit of the camera lying and whilst there are a few bits that are ok there are some cracks in the paint which really spoil it. On talking to the guys at SMS they tell me it may not be gel cracks but the Polyester filler that's cracking due to me prepping the shell to well. It seems I made the body to smooth when rubbing down and the Polyester has come away due to no grip. I should have prepped with a coarser production paper. On a positive note they say body will not need to come off as under bonnet, wheel arches, inside boot and underneath car is in really good condition. I'm pleased about that as I spent hours putting filler over the rough fibreglass and smoothing it down before spraying with satin black.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:39 am

Have just received some photos of my car from SMS, looks as though they are getting on well.

SMS A MOD.jpg and

SMS B MOD.jpg and

SMS C MOD.jpg and

SMS D MOD.jpg and

Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:09 pm

1st March and some more photos from SMS on the bodywork, they are currently working on getting the doors to fit correctly. As most know the Sprint doors are well known for not fitting so the guys at SMS are doing a 'cut & shut' as can be seen in the photos. They also tell me the top of the doors have had to be done also.
1st Mar A Mod.jpg and

1st Mar B Mod.jpg and

1st Mar C Mod.jpg and

1st Mar D Mod.jpg and

1st Mar E Mod.jpg and

1st Mar F Mod.jpg and

I have some more shots of headlamp pods & bonnet which I will add soon.
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: