Parts "cross-reference"?

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:45 pm

Elan boot hinges are Hillman Imp (as were the original drive couplings) but they are now readily available and not expensive so I suppose it is just of academic interest or a fact to bore your mates with :D

John
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman3 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:47 pm

Maybe this is something that the Lotus Owners Club or Lotus Drivers Club could take up direct with Lotus. I'm sure that this information must be in their archives. I know they want to sell new cars but surely they'd be just as interested in helping to keep the old one's on the road.
If a comprehensive list was compiled it could possibly be added as a download on lotuselan.net.

I know I would like to see a cross-reference list for the +2.

Colin
elanman3
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotus026 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:08 am

Yes, the rack on my S2 Elan is from a Spitfire; I replaced it with one from a Mk III several years ago since mine was rather worn - the steering stop spacers are just tubular pieces of aluminum which slip over the rack inside the inner tie rod ends, and they are different lengths side to side. Something like 17mm & 21mm, though those aren't the sizes! Also the tie rods are about 1" longer than the Spitfire ones, so you need the Lotus ones. The only differences I could find in the racks was that there were a couple of vent holes in the Spitfire rack that weren't on the Lotus one, both racks were from '65 cars.
Dave
[email protected]
lotus026
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Colin Thatcher+Apr 5 2004, 12:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colin Thatcher @ Apr 5 2004, 12:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
I know I would like to see a cross-reference list for the +2.

Colin [/quote]
Gentlemen,

Again the Golden Gate Lotus Club is pleased to be able to offer a cross reference list for the Elan and Elan+2. See www.gglotus.org and go to the "Parts" section.

We will update both lists with your feedback. Send a message to [email protected] and the lists will get updated.

We'll continue to keep these lists available for the Lotus community as we believe they are of value to the enthusiasts. Membership is not required to access these lists and other content on the GGLC website, we do hope that it will encourage you to join and support our continuing efforts (sorry blatant plug...).

Kiyoshi
GGLC Webmaster
www.gglotus.org
Life is more fun behind the wheel of a Lotus!
www.gglotus.org
www.gglotus.org/blog
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:02 pm

Also the tie rods are about 1" longer than the Spitfire ones

Mmm that's interesting Dave. I assume mine must have had the tie rods changed because the rack was on the car and the tracking wasn't that far out :lol:

I think if I can't get the actual dimensions of the lock stops an experiment with hose clips or something similar is in order. All I've got to do is stop the wheels rubbing in the arches!

The vent holes were probably just one of those things that disappeared at some point in the history of Triumph racks. I don't think I've ever noticed them but most of the racks I've had have been later than '65

Cheers

John
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman3 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:46 pm

Kiyoshi,

Thanks for the info. I hadn't come across your site before and look forward to going through it in more detail.

Colin
elanman3
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:55 am

The Robinshaw and Ross book has an entire chapter entitled "Replacement Parts and Sources"

It has many interesting swaps. I had forgotten, for example, that the S3/S4 petrol filler cap came from the wonderful 750 and 850 Norton Commando; or that the S3/S4 ashtray came from the rear seat of the venerable Austin Cambridge; the S1/S2/S3 demister grilles came from the Ford Corsair.

However, it is not exhaustive and does not list the S4 eyeball vents already mentioned. The Club Lotus list has some of these more difficult to identify items, though.
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: