My Personal Disaster

PostPost by: Wattie » Wed May 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Galway, don't do it !
Keep the car if you can, if I was in a position to acquire it I certainly would and put it back on the road, but over here in Meath ! .
( eventually ).
If a breaker gets it - that's what happens - its broken and it's gone forever ...
It's your car until you settle with them - make sure it's secure until you get it back.
Elan Plus 2 owner since 1989
Wattie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed May 10, 2017 5:35 pm

I have been following this topic and would like to add my condolences and moral support. I drove 260 miles in my +2 today, it needed an MOT that I could get done locally, but I wanted a day out to see the guys at Spyder where the car was converted, I managed to see a customer on the way back, so the trip was tax deductible :D I can't imagine being without my cars. There must be a way of keeping the car and making a happy ending?
Last edited by Spyder fan on Thu May 11, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:21 pm

That's an entirely different discussion!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu May 11, 2017 8:09 am

Oops!
Have I missed the plot again?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: John Larkin » Sat May 13, 2017 4:15 pm

I and a friend Alan have bought the Elan to save it from being broken up. The car is too good to allow it to suffer a fate like that. We are grateful to Bill for his efforts to ensure that the car was saved. We intend to repair it over the next 8-10 months, and have promised Bill that we will drive back to Galway to show it to him when it is finished.

I will try to post reports of our progress/setbacks on this forum over the course of the work. No doubt we will be asking you guys and gals for advice and encouragement along the way.

We expect to be able to start work on the car in July/August after family holidays.

John Larkin
1967 S3SE FHC, 1974 Rover P6B, 1949 Lancia Aprilia
John Larkin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat May 13, 2017 5:30 pm

John Larkin wrote:I and a friend Alan have bought the Elan to save it from being broken up. The car is too good to allow it to suffer a fate like that. We are grateful to Bill for his efforts to ensure that the car was saved. We intend to repair it over the next 8-10 months, and have promised Bill that we will drive back to Galway to show it to him when it is finished.

I will try to post reports of our progress/setbacks on this forum over the course of the work. No doubt we will be asking you guys and gals for advice and encouragement along the way.

We expect to be able to start work on the car in July/August after family holidays.

John Larkin

I am extremely grateful to John and Alan for saving this Elan. John and I agree that we don't really own Elans. We just mind them during their time in our possession. As much as losing mine in the fire distressed me I would be completely devastated if it had to cease existence as an entity in its own right and be broken up for parts.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Nice one squirrel!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun May 14, 2017 12:13 am

Phew! Thank Goodness.

:mrgreen:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Sun May 14, 2017 6:56 am

Good luck John and regards to Alan!
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun May 14, 2017 6:58 am

That's great news.

Would love to know what caused the fire. Looks from the way the fuel line is routed that there was an electric fuel pump & the hose split / came off by the firewall?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wattie » Sun May 14, 2017 9:01 am

Fantastic news :) and just the kind of inspiration I needed too.

Look forward to hearing progress reports.

Well done to the rescuers ...
Elan Plus 2 owner since 1989
Wattie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun May 14, 2017 12:45 pm

I'll join the chorus of well-wishers and I can't wait to see the updates!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed May 31, 2017 4:45 pm

While I can never be certain of the cause of the fire, let me postulate a potential theory.

Suppose an exhaust manifold needed to be replaced with the engine in the car. Due to the proximity of the Y-frame to the manifold, the left engine mount would need to be disconnected and the engine jacked over to provide clearance for removal and installation over the head studs.
If a fuel hose running from the bulkhead to the Webers was strained during this operation and not noticed, the connection could become tenuous. Later - even much later- after driving and its associated vibrations, the hose might come free from the fitting and with an electric pump the fuel would continue to pump from the fitting. The engine would then run out of fuel and the raw fuel pumping into the engine bay might ignite causing a catastrophic fire.

Just saying ...

I'm just glad "my phoenix" will rise from its ashes and be roadworthy again with its new owner. :wink:

I shall continue to lurk on the forum in case I can be of any help to anyone.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: