Phil's new Sprint

PostPost by: Bill » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:40 pm

Phil Harrison flew out from Long Island to gather up his Sprint at Victoria last Friday. Early in the year he contacted me to see if I knew of the car, I agreed to vet it for him, i drove down to Victoria and checked it out thoroughly and recommended it as a buy. Sight unseen other than photos and my word for it he completed the purchase. He picked it up Friday, drove up island to overnight at my place - we put it on the MaxJax hoist for a check out and then went out to the local bistro for dins. He caught the ferry off our rock and thence drove it to Seattle for shipping to New York.
It was great to meet and confirm an internet friendship with this Brit expat and I am so pleased that his trust in my opinion on the vehicle met with his expectations.

It was FUN!!

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:00 am

Sounds great Bill. Is the car one we saw referred to here? Looking forward to pics. :)
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:35 am

Soon... Oh yes... Soon... The lime green gang will rule the world...
Mhuahahahaaaaa ( evil laugh)... :mrgreen:
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 pm

Ah, I was wondering if it was the sweet Lime Green one that was in the area. I saw that car last year at ABFM and it looked very nice.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:28 pm

Stu

Yes that was the car ay last years ABFM, it found a great new owner and it was fun being involved and trusted for Phil. He got a dreat car.

I will be at the ABFM next month - it is the 50th aniversary of my ownership of my 1600 and would not have missed it.

I delayed my quadrupal bypass cardiac surgery 'till the week the event.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 pm

A great trip & one I will not forget for a long time.

Yes this is the car that was at ABFM in 2009 & 2012, I believe in 2009 it won "People's Choice award". The car was also posted here from the restoration shop that did the amazing paintwork, but the post has been lost in one of Jeff's Re-orgs.

I first saw the car on line in August 2011, but the timing was just not right. Fortunately for me with the car being on Vancouver Island & with complications in the paperwork it did not sell.

Bill (Rathlef) did me a giant favor by examining the car in January & it has taken 3 months for me to travel out to British Columbia to collect my car & put the car through customs myself. As Bill said, I was able to stay with him & look as his beautiful S1. Bill is a gentleman & a scholar & I really enjoyed my time with him.

Here are some photos of my new car & my trip from Victoria B.C. to Seattle:

SmallCar_BigTree.jpg and
Small Car, Big Tree...

On the Trans Canada Highway (Malahat Drive)

OnMalahatDrive.jpg and
On Malahat Drive, Vancouver Island, British Columbia

We Meet up...

ElanMeeting.jpg and
One of the first with one of the last

We had a spirited drive back to Bill's place & then got my car up in the air to look for any issues prior to the 150 mile drive to Seattle:

UpInTheAir.jpg and
Up in the air...

And no that oil leak is not from my car!!

To be Continued...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:07 pm

On Saturday Morning I drove north to get the Ferry to Vancouver, much colder & raining so the roof is up!

BigWood_SmallCar.jpg and
Small Car Big Wood!

After arriving south of Vancouver I drove south to Blaine & lost 2 hours of my life that I will not regain in the CBP office. No issues though & I collected the CBP7501 Entry Summary which will allow me to register the car in New York State.

Two hours later driving through torrential rain I arrive in Seattle:

Seattle.jpg and
Seattle Skyline

Bill also recommended Randall Fehr's shop in Seattle, so the car is being stored there until it is shipped back to Long Island soon (but not soon enough....)

RandallsShop.jpg and
In good company

This was a great trip, made possible entirely through LotusElan.net. Thanks to Bill Rathlef (Bill) for checking out the car for me & Nick (Elanner) for documenting the importation process from Canada. The import process is actually quite straight forward, you just have to be prepared. I knew my car was imported originally from California to Canada, so I had a copy of the Californian Title document on-hand & that saved me from paying any duty.

p.s. If you ever have the opportunity to go to Vancouver Island, preferably with your Elan, it's a beautiful place with great roads & awesome seafood
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Congrats! :mrgreen:
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:16 am

Phil, do you plan on being at either (or both) LOG or Lime Rock this fall? It looks great!

Why no side marker lights?

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed May 01, 2013 10:25 am

gjz30075 wrote:Phil, do you plan on being at either (or both) LOG or Lime Rock this fall? It looks great!

Greg Z

I will definitely be at Lime Rock, probably not at LOG & thanks!

gjz30075 wrote:Why no side marker lights?

Greg Z

Because they are ugly! During the body restoration they were removed. Somehow they have hidden the bumper bolts as well.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed May 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks for posting Phil. Great car and fabulous little trip.

Bill, just getting sorted for ABFM and will see you there. Always fun when you can help a fellow enthusiast spend their money! :)
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Wed May 01, 2013 5:34 pm

Phil- Didn't take you long to get that fine looking car loaded as your avatar! Lime green is growing on me.
Nice find. Have fun!!
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:41 am

The picture taken in the shop with the other Loti......where was that? Besides your car.......I'm diggin' on the Plus 2's..............

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun May 05, 2013 10:20 pm

That is in Randall fehr's workshop in Seattle, the 2 +2s are being restored by Randall to a very high standard.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:33 pm

The truck has finally arrived to ship her back to New York! Only 7-10 more days.... I hope.... talk about deferred gratification...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: