Recomissioning an Elan Sprint.

PostPost by: au-yt » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:17 pm

I have been asking questions on this forum with some very information insight thank you all.
I thought it would be worth discussing what I am doing to put all these questions into context.
Earlier this year I got a phone call from a friend to ask if I wanted an Elan as I had mentioned I would like to get another one having owned an S2 in the early to late 80's.
The car as it turns out is a one owner 1971 Elan sprint, yellow over white ( weird as my last one was yellow).
I have effectively bought the owners entire hobby as it came with quite a range of spares and second hand parts.
The List is extensive and included a new gal chassis..
The Original owner bought the car from Sports Motors Manchester. in late 71/early 72 as a Demo.
The last year the car was registered in the UK was 1999. From what I can gather talking to the owner at about that time a Mail Van backed into the front doing only minor damage for the nose. The car was subsequently repainted in the original color.
It then had an complete engine build by QED in 2001. A gearbox rebuild and a 4 bucket load of spares was bought over the next 5 years and the car came to Australia in 2004.
The car has been driven on a "regular basis around an industrial estate" and basically has no miles on the new engine.
Here is where the fun begins I did drive the car only a short distance before the purchase, what sold me on the car was just how semi time warp the car is, well as a Lotus can be, as there are parts of the car that are as they left the factory and that I love.
I plan an empathic recommission as the car doesn't need to be restored just yet .
Having said that, so far I have replaced the master cylinders, changed all the other fluids and thanks to some guidance I will be changing the heater hoses although in Australia I wonder the necessity.
The Car was running but it felt like it was missing but its not, I partly believe its a sour fuel issue and a major exhaust leak and changed the "y" connector for a better flow unit, as the original was badly shrouded internally causing serious back pressure.
Changed all the plugs and did a cold comp test 195 on all 4,
There is a aldon Automotive electronic ignition which is still available, any one else using this unit? The instructions say low voltage causes rough running???
http://www.aldonauto.co.uk/shop/prodtyp ... Position=1
I have also cheche the TDC mark to ensure its correct.
Drained all the fuel cleaned and new gaskets in the carbs which were overhauled at the engine build. I put a filter at the out let of the tank, Weight saving is one thing but no fuel filter..
Fixed the Vacuum T piece on the chassis. presto headlights work...
Diff to lower chassis clearance to sort, change heater hoses, replace carbs and seats, fuel in and drive off into the sunset....
so far 4 weeks of part time work.....
Cheers
Graeme
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
66 one-off 2.6Ltr v8 Mid-engine Berlinetta Coupe........... in restoration
..................................................Age doesn't matter unless you are a cheese................................................
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Rozzer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:55 am

Fantastic Graeme - sounds as though it is going well enough to come up from Hobbit country to the Inner West and catch up for a coffee over Easter :) Just have to hope the rain holds off a bit......
Ashton
1954 Healey 100 (Gidget)
1958 Series 2 Land Rover
1962 Lotus Elite S2 #1591
1964 Lotus Elan S1.5 26/4177
1998 Lotus Elise S1
2003 Mini Cooper S R53
2013 BMW 118d Conv
If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
Rozzer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:03 am

It sounds like you have bought the perfect Elan, Graeme. One owner, super original and with a load of bits....it doesn't get any better. And the right colour.

If you were doing a big Healey or E Type I wouldn't bother with the heater either, as your feet roast no matter what time of year it is. But the Elan is very well insulated somehow, and you'll definitely need the heater sorted if you're going to use the car between March and November, especially in the evening / at night up in the mountains. The only time I've seen snow at Christmas was on Mt Kosciuszko, and that was in the middle of summer!

But nothing better that a ride with the hood down on a hot summer's evening...definitely heater off time.

I would put rough running down to old fuel / gummed up carburetors and maybe old plugs initially. I was told last year to use Red-X petrol treatment regularly in the Twincam to keep the carbs nice and clean, and it really seems to work.

Post some photos up, eh?

Cheers...Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Guy's
Thank you for the thoughts and suggestions, I am doing my darnedest not to get sucked into the trap of modifying the car. I have had a brief with all my cars mods for reliability sake only and be spanner replaceable, if that makes sense.

Heater hose I will put them back but I am going change them as "while I am in there" I have access. and winter is coming :)

The radiator has been removed because I drained the system to change the coolant, and spotted gel blobs on top of the tubes under the cap area. I worked out the over flow bottle has a different coolant in it, blue colour as against the green in the rest of the system. I figure that it was just the mix due to the recovery that caused the blobs. The radiator flushed out easily and looks like it been cleaned at some stage probably when the engine was rebuilt. I don't think from what I can see with my boroscope there is any more.

The heater back flushed out readily with some sludge but no gel, so I am happy that there isn't any more.

The Steering, had nearly half an inch free play at the steering wheel made up of play in the column and the movement in the pinion gear was .0625" rack bushes. As the original is so badly worn the core is being replaced rebuilt using a new core and refitting all the original parts. I will re-bush the original case for latter.

The Rack Shims were almost rusted away, but luckily I can get the original thickness from the shims where they were clamped up.

The biggest issue is I am like a kid at Christmas with a new toy and I cannot play with it.!!! and the parent in me is ensuring the work done correctly before I can use it, don't you hate that.....

Graeme
PS I will get some pictures organised
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
..................................................Age doesn't matter unless you are a cheese................................................
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:25 am

Some Pictures of some rectification and frustration.
Since when did using cheap iron become used as a shim!
IMG_0585.JPG and
CC used to say add lightness but I don't think he meant this

IMG_0588.JPG and
Sorted

Interesting Steering Column Mod
IMG_0591.JPG and

A heater hose clamps playing hide and seek
IMG_0596.JPG and
IMG_0595.JPG and

Graeme
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Fri May 02, 2014 11:36 am

Today I finished reconditioning a reconditioned steering rack... I bought a rack that was sold as new reconditioned, I finished up making one out to the two racks and then reconditioned it :x by replacing the pinion and straightening the reworked rack ( bent by 2 mm)

I also located the chassis serial number and the chassis number, and after communication with Tim at the Sprint register have just added more fuel to the chassis numbering conundrum!

I just need to figure out which one is relevant to the Parts Book! as the ID plate is 7100000335G

Cheers
Graeme
Attachments
IMG_0646.JPG and
chassis 0107C
IMG_0635.JPG and
serial number 6469
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Fri May 09, 2014 3:45 am

I was trying to think of a phrase to describe for the physical damage caused by accessing tight places on the car. Does Lotusitus fit?
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Wed May 21, 2014 10:34 am

Recommission Update,
The seats have been removed and scrubbed and look much better. I cleaned up the seat mounts and the retainers and painted them with POR15

Gave the carpets brush and vacuum, they in quite good condition seeing they are original, only the foot mats have been replaced and are new. I have ordered some press studs to put in the floor mats as they weren't fitted.

Fluids all changed diff, gearbox and engine and new filter.

New master cylinders new clutch slave, needs more bleeding as it takes up down the travel, who ever designed a slave cylinder the bleeder at the same height as the input line....

The Rack and the column are back in and the uni joint has been rebuilt with nolathane washers, lock-wired and Earthed. Quite happy with the outcome as the rack and the column are movement free.

The Radiator is in and carbs fitted and plumbed.
I ran some electrical function tests with the ignition and caught sight of a wisp of smoke. This was identified coming from the coil resister. I am as keen as mustard to keep this car in a preserved state and original but that concerned a lot and I know its normal and I should not of left the ignition on. So it now has a stock 12V coil. The one on the car I believe isn't original as its a Delco Rhemy but happy to stand corrected on that.

I marked the notch on the crank pulley with white paint, and started the car, to find the timing was at 30degrees BTC Huuuum that explains the odd engine note Read Knocking at idle. Adjusted back to 12BTDC and the engine is crisp and smooth.

I set the Carby balance visually through the transfer ports and did a basic mixture adjustment. I have a colour tune which I will use to set it up when I get it running again.

At this point engine temp was getting into the why hasnt the fan come on stage.

I later removed the thermo switch only to find it works well at boiling point! I have located a TRIDON switch TFS110 with the 3/8 Gas thread which cuts in at 85c out at 80c but it only has one connecter so again against my judgement of originality the fan wiring now works so the thermo switch is an earth switch. any on know another fan switch which has the same connectors as the original Kenlowe switch.

Next delmar no head lights, after much reading of wiring diagrams and head scratching I identified I had misread my connection for the column and Bingo Lights. The Long story includes many expletives...

However some times these work out for the best as I found the earth on the R/H headlight switch was just hanging on.
All the main Headlights relays have not long been replaced but the wiring is untidy so another job to do.

However the High Beam Light doesn't appear to illuminate but after practicing the limbo to get under the Steering wheel, I found that it does work but the light is getting though.....

I had this issue on another car and for what ever reason it appears the blue lens is either dirty or become non transparent.... and it would be difficult to access.

Nearly there. busting to drive it to see what else needs doing.

Graeme
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Sat May 24, 2014 12:34 am

A visit from the Prince of darkness himself.
While endeavoring to sort why the High beam light wasn't working, I found the bulb was OK however while reinstalling the tacho , connected the earth lead to the mount stud and as it as in the way flipped it over only to discover it contacted one of the white wires and doing it up made contact and when I put the ignition on the prince appeared. Amazing how 2" of wire can produce that much smoke!
In the end all is well the Tacho still works and all the wire damage sorted with the correct colour and connectors.
Bonus the high beam light now works.

Air Horns, little interesting snippet I just found and I bet others have as well, as I was just getting Fuvvvvv out of the horns. Thinking there was a stuck vane in the pump, I checked that and motor runs very well. Assembled and putting a finger over the end of the pump out let......Fuvvvvvvvvvvvv. obviously even then there isn't much pressure.
I had checked the horns with shop air and they worked. as an experiment I wound the trumpet out of the housing half turn.... Bingo noise. I am yet to adjust the length of the horns to judge the effect but I guess that how they are adjusted for different sounds.

Next issue the fan switch I had ordered is also on back order, the Tridon TFS110 so back to scratch. So I have ordered a Davis Craig electronic variable temp switch which measures the radiator fin temps rather than under the hose. I need to find a discreet place if such a place exists in an Elan to put the controller. Forward face of the right hand side of the radiator support looks a likely spot.

Graeme
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Wed May 28, 2014 11:08 am

My car has the original Kenlowe switch and I discovered when reading the Elan manual its is adjustable!
I setup an experiment in the kitchen with a thermometer multimeter and the switch sitting in a plastic cradle.

A few times on and off the stove around the temp I was looking for near 85.

The car had a switch under the dash to make the horn work which has now been converted to a fan overide.

Tided up some wiring to the relays in the front and satisfied all the system work fired up the engine for the first time in 10 weeks, balanced the carbs and tweaked to idle mixtures, rechecked to timing, 11-12BTC idle at 1000, happy with that.

What the heck jumped in no bonnet no airbox and and up the drive onto the street test the brakes, they seem to stop OK, continue prod on the throttle .... wow don't TC'S have a wonderful bark, gosh this thing goes, a blast around few back streets, wonderful, feels terrific Air box back to go on, tighten the dizzy and recheck timing, bonnet on and bigger test on the weekend.
Very pleased its only been 10 weeks of part time work but I am very pleased I that I done all the work.

I need to get it registered and busting to take it on a decent run but.

What magical little cars they are.

Graeme
Attachments
IMG_0710.JPG and
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Rozzer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:40 am

Graeme,

Delighted to catch up with your progress while I have been away, and very pleased you have it back up and running!

I can't remember if you are going to road register it, but if you want to put it on Historics, let me know if you want to do so through CLA.

And if it is up for a run to St Peters, I am around this weekend (although the forecast isn't crash hot!)

Ashton
Ashton
1954 Healey 100 (Gidget)
1958 Series 2 Land Rover
1962 Lotus Elite S2 #1591
1964 Lotus Elan S1.5 26/4177
1998 Lotus Elise S1
2003 Mini Cooper S R53
2013 BMW 118d Conv
If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
Rozzer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:07 am

Hi Ashton
Thank you very much for the offer and I plan to get to the odd Club Lotus events.

I registered the car today!! Through my club, I braved the evening traffic last night to have an inspection done which I latter found I didn't need! But I am happy to have a second opinion on the brakes if nothing else.

I was great driving one again after quite some time, make that 27 years! and I had forgotten how intimate they are!

I rocked up to the NSW Business unit in Haymarket, the girl behind the counter looked rather bewildered as to my request, summoned the supervisor and she needed to ask the manager! we don't do many Historic registrations here!
It was thinking it would be a drama as this is the first registration in Australia and not being the importer there was a inkling I would have a problem, I had the Importation approval, the receipts with the required information and filled out the application, Payed my money and off I went go very happily with plates in hand, the fun now begins.

Pictures to follow

I need to break out the colour tune and change the diff mounts, and find another pesky exhaust leak,

One Happy Elan owner... I say that with some caution!!
Regards
Graeme
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:24 am

Remember my last comment , about caution,...... Yep I was right to think that.

Used the colour tune and found I wasn't far off. The Diff mounts I changed and the lower reaction links now have a very small clearance under the diff.

Today I looked at the RH Rear caliper and as I thought the outer piston is frozen hence the springy pedal.... But wait there is more.
The other night driving home I noticed more vibration than I originally though should be there!

Well removing the rear right caliper I noticed the out board doughnut separated from the two of the Segments!

Guess what I am doing now?......yep putting in the CV Kit in that came with the car....

Cheers
Graeme
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:24 am

Another week and another few late nights. The CV's are in but before I got that far I had spotted an oil leak from the drive flanges. While I have the drives out and calipers of I decided to change the seals. never ends does it.
I made a puller to remove them and it worked very well.
I can make a drawing if people are interested.
20140614_161543.jpg and

20140614_162034.jpg and

The old seals were so hard they were brittle and almost fell out. well worth the effort, and I changed the bearings as well. odly I had to buy those as they were not amongst the spares!!

Fitting the CVs proved interesting one went in with only minor expletives the left took a whole new language,
but they are in. The ones that came with the car had MM stamped on them so that gives their age away but they were new.
As I have mentioned in the Drive Train / Gearbox / Final Drive thread. I changed the out board end nuts as they fouled on the strut casting!
lotus-gearbox-f37/miller-shafts-t31625-15.html#p212029

20140618_205745.jpg and

20140618_205850.jpg and

After further deliberation the Brake flex hoses are now being changed. I was quite surprised they came undone after 40 years!! they are more than likely original as they still have the spiral wire on them.
Best tool for flange nuts is a snap-on crows foot.
$_57.JPG and

I can now start and see the light at the end of the tunnel but it is a LOTUS
I may change the front brake hoses while the brake system is in pieces..........

Graeme
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: au-yt » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:07 am

CV's now in and I must say that was no mean feat.
They are right on their travel limit and you can feel the bals in the joint binding at the end of their travel.
The new Mick Miller CV's that I fitted have 11/16" AF nuts which fouled the strut housing. I replaced them with a reduced AF nut ( Pno. MS21042-7) that's only 1/2" AF Much easier to do up and they are reusable.

New rear discs and the calipers have new pistons and seals. The Rear R/H out board piston was so frozen that the inboard piston was flexing the disc! No wonder the pedal felt odd and I drove the car like this for 20 Ks....
I need to jack up the struts to the ride height and Tighten the control arm bolts.

This week is remove the front brakes and Change the flex lines and brake pistons and seals....

Graeme
LOTUS Evora 400
Ginetta G27 S2
au-yt
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: