Lotus Elan

Registering an Elan in California?

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:52 am

In todays world, I would use a private registration service. A friend just registered a 1910 Brush, a 1914 Model T Ford, and a 1920's American LaFrance fire engine with no problems. The original registration, and "pink" slips had been lost or misplaced by the previous owner, who had passed and his son was able to supply only a bill of sale for each vehicle.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Tread softly in the grease mud, for there lurks the skid demon
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus14S2 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:50 pm

The time i did the registration was about 10 years ago, so they might have changed the forms. At the time you went into DMV and were issued your license plates and year sticker, the car was checked by a DMV inspector. When that occurred you had to bring the car in to the local DMV office, in my case it was San Mateo, California.. The car was checked to make sure the serial number was the same as the previous state registration, and you had to have working lights,including brake light, turn signals, etc., horn, and, seat belts.
If you have a smog car I'm sure the process is more cumbersome.
As far as a home built is concerned, as well as a salvaged car, you need to have the brakes, and some other stuff checked, but as the Elan is all in one piece, and is "as built", that is not required.

The form may have gotten more complex, as happens with government forms, but filling out a form should be rather straight forward.

I would suggest to the Elan owner to go to the DMV website and they have all the instructions for registering an out of state car; that will give you the straight scoop.
Lotus14S2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lotus14S2 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:55 pm

FYI The form (Reg 31) is identical to the form that the DMV inspector filled out when my Elan was registered 10 years ago, so i don't think it has changed much.
Lotus14S2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:53 pm

Gee-whiz, Monkey, you must be that guy who catcthes all the hiccups in the system. I was that guy in the army 30 years ago. They lost my orders to transfer overseas, they lost my supply-record, they messed-up my vaccination-record, etc...

Thankfully few such problems in later years with vehicle registrations.
1969/70 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: My72Sprint » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:35 pm

Info..
My California original 1972 Elan has the VIN in two location:
A) VIN TAG Driver side behind windshield
B) Information plate in engine compartment, Passenger side, fender wall, near firewall
VIN, Engine #, Emissions info etc..

No door tag
My72Sprint
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: