Spyder Seat Belt conversion

PostPost by: skelteanema » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:52 am

Hi all,

I am in the process of fitting the Spyder Seat belt conversion. Although positioning and location of the parts is pretty straightfowrad, I an not entirely sure whether all mounting points go through the fibreglass or not.

In particular, the bottom mounting position where the seat belt carrier goes (as circled in red in the picture) do you drill a hole in the fibreglass and mount the captive nut behind the fibreglass, On one side the bracket is a snug fit against the body so drilling through would seem to make a good fit, but on the other side there is a decent gap and it would have to pull up the body quite a bit to make a tight fit if drilled through the body, and this may damage the fibreglass unless I fettle the bracket a bit.

I assume the rear mounting point (circled in blue) does go through the fibreglasss, but again one side will need a spacer or the bracket bent to fit.

Can anyone guide me.

Skelte
Attachments
spyder-bracket.jpg and
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi,
Fixing in ?Red? the nut/plate goes between the body and bracket, ?Blue? fixing, larger nut/plate on inside of wheel arch the other larger plate has clearance hole goes on inside in the boot drill through body. There is a stepped spacer provided that when fitted, large diameter against plate small diameter goes through the bracket. This gives a variable distance piece, doesn?t seem right but this location is just to stop the bracket tipping under stress. Effectively the 2 plate sandwich the body.
On mine there was not enough space at location ?Red? for the captive nut so had to fit the fixing bolt in reverse and use a nut on the outside.
Must admit it was a PITA I think I had to space the brackets to allow the cross member at the top to clear.
So lots for improvisation needed.
Good luck Ron.
back-fix.jpg and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:19 pm

Brilliant, Craven. And very helpful.
Many thanks,
-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress