Lotus Elan

Two at Once!

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:50 pm

Great pair of projects, Tom!

The S2 is just a little earlier than mine and looks pretty standard (though the gear shift knob looks like a later version) so I hope you intend to keep it original. There will be some unusual parts as it is a transitional S1/2 car: transmission bolt spacings and possibly front brakes etc. I can't believe it started up in a few hours after 40 years!

The S3 seems to have lost its virginity so might as well be modified further! But that's your call (or Brian's).

Best of luck with both of them.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
User avatar
Quart Meg Miles
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 824
Joined: 03 Oct 2012
Location: West Sussex, UK (South coast)

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:04 pm

Hi Tom
I also have a Super Safety #7594. Your car has many of the SS features but the gauges are black (not chrome) and are not recessed. The dashboard with bonnet pulls and the wheel hubs with Nader nuts appear to be from a 1968 model year. My car is a 1967 although the number is later than yours. :)
seniorchristo
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 368
Joined: 19 Dec 2013
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

PostPost by: Woody M » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:54 am

Tom,

I too am a neophyte Lotus Elan restorer. If you get anywhere near Hershey PA, come see my 1965 Elan S2 project. You might come for one, or more of the Hershey/Carlisle events, or simply come to see Dutch Fenical? I any case, welcome to a fun, expensive and interesting project, (or two). I am buying stuff from Tony Thompson Racing. His son, Eddie is good to work with, as is Stuart, their parts guru.

Regards,
Woody Menear
1215 Upton Court
Hummelstown PA
17036
(717) 566-8687 home
(717) 602-3043 mobile
[email protected]
Woody M
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Location: Pennsylvania

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:18 am

Glad to see more Elan’s being restored and saved! Although my first Elan restoration was an S1 and most of the work was mechanical, you guys might enjoy reading about the entire process in my post: lotus-elan-f19/elan-rebuild-story-t34178.html
Glen
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
User avatar
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Location: Princeton, NJ

PostPost by: Tom Cotter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Thank you for forwarding your previous story. It answered some questions: that there are 18 bolts holding the body (including two behind the dash), and that you can pull the body off the chassis with the engine still in place. Eight plus hours to remove the body means I have 16+ hours of work ahead of me. I may contact you from time-to-time. Thank you.
Tom Cotter
New-tral
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 27 Oct 2018
Location: North Carolina

PostPost by: Tom Cotter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Thornts wrote:Welcome indeed Tom. As the custodian of your last Elan (I assume you haven't had any more in the mean time), I'll be trying to keep pace with your twins as you work on them. As you can perhaps tell, I have not been making huge progress with the S3 SE FHC though the 'History' has come together nicely in no small part due to this forum and Mark 'Elan in Forest' in particular. I need to join the dots between it going back to Lotus and arriving with you, perhaps starting with Christopher, the woodworking guy you bought the car from who thus far I've not been able to track down.
All the best and good luck!
Rob
S3 SE FHC
S2 7
22
S1 Elise


Rob, Thanks for the update and encouragement. If you want to sell that coupe back to me, I might be interested. Tom
Tom Cotter
New-tral
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 27 Oct 2018
Location: North Carolina

PostPost by: Tom Cotter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:20 pm

The Veg wrote:Welcome Tom! Sounds like you and your son are in for plenty of adventure!

Where in NC are you? I get up there for business a bit- in fact I'll be near Fayetteville this week.



Hello, Veg. I live in Davidson , near Charlotte. Let me know if you are traveling nearby. Tom
Tom Cotter
New-tral
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 27 Oct 2018
Location: North Carolina

PostPost by: Tom Cotter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:25 pm

Woody M wrote:Tom,

I too am a neophyte Lotus Elan restorer. If you get anywhere near Hershey PA, come see my 1965 Elan S2 project. You might come for one, or more of the Hershey/Carlisle events, or simply come to see Dutch Fenical? I any case, welcome to a fun, expensive and interesting project, (or two). I am buying stuff from Tony Thompson Racing. His son, Eddie is good to work with, as is Stuart, their parts guru.

Regards,
Woody Menear
1215 Upton Court
Hummelstown PA
17036
(717) 566-8687 home
(717) 602-3043 mobile
[email protected]" target="_blank



Woody, (one of my favorite cars...),
Thanks for the invite. I am at Hershey at least once each year, and every time I visit my friend Posie. Plus I need to tour the RD shops, which I assume are nearby. I'll be in touch, Tom
Tom Cotter
New-tral
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 27 Oct 2018
Location: North Carolina

PostPost by: Woody M » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:41 am

Tom,

Please do stay in touch! Marjorie and I have 4-bedrooms and the kids have kids of their own....you would be a welcome guest; bring car stories and I'll swap you some antique/aerobatic airplane tales. Posie and the crowd will be there for my (if I must say so) - world famous Martinis. See you in the New Year.

Regards,
Woody Menear
Woody M
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 21
Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Location: Pennsylvania

PostPost by: elaninfuture » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:50 am

That Tom Cotter? Cobras in the Barn? Hagerty? If so, keep up the good work. I've been enjoying your writing for years.
elaninfuture
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 19 Dec 2016
Location: Montana, USA

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:38 am

Tom, happy to provide any insights I may have. I’ve done two complete Elan restorations and one “fix the details” preparation along with a Europa frame off restoration I’m in the midst of. Have learned a few things along the way but depend on the expertise of the people on this forum for the vast knowledge of the details of these cars.

It’s a journey that I find totally enjoyable and having “friends along the way” really helps.
Glen
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
User avatar
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Location: Princeton, NJ

PostPost by: Tom Cotter » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Woody M wrote:Tom,

Please do stay in touch! Marjorie and I have 4-bedrooms and the kids have kids of their own....you would be a welcome guest; bring car stories and I'll swap you some antique/aerobatic airplane tales. Posie and the crowd will be there for my (if I must say so) - world famous Martinis. See you in the New Year.

Regards,
Woody Menear


Thank you, Woody.
Tom Cotter
New-tral
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 27 Oct 2018
Location: North Carolina

PostPost by: Tom Cotter » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:54 pm

elaninfuture wrote:That Tom Cotter? Cobras in the Barn? Hagerty? If so, keep up the good work. I've been enjoying your writing for years.


I love doing those episodes. I do them all for you!
Tom Cotter
New-tral
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 27 Oct 2018
Location: North Carolina

PostPost by: Tom Cotter » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:57 pm

Certified Lotus wrote:Tom, happy to provide any insights I may have. I’ve done two complete Elan restorations and one “fix the details” preparation along with a Europa frame off restoration I’m in the midst of. Have learned a few things along the way but depend on the expertise of the people on this forum for the vast knowledge of the details of these cars.

It’s a journey that I find totally enjoyable and having “friends along the way” really helps.



Thank you, Glen.

Here's a question: is it possible to remove the Elan body with the engine still mounted on the chassis?
Tom Cotter
New-tral
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 27 Oct 2018
Location: North Carolina

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:07 pm

Tom, Just remove the Weber carbs, water hoses, radiator, all connecting cables from the wiring harness to the engine, coil to distributor cable, ground straps, throttle cable and exhaust manifold. Hoist body away.

I have found reinstalling the body to the chassis with the drive line components all installed is also the easiest.

Good luck!
Glen
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
User avatar
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Location: Princeton, NJ
PreviousNext

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests