S1 Vertical Link

PostPost by: stelz » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:13 pm

Hi fellas,

I have been restoring for some time - never ending adventure as some describe it. I've found that my right hand vertical link appears to be bent at the bottom where the threaded trunnion bit flares out to the main vertical link.

I assume the centrline of the trunnion should go right through the centreline of the top ball joint hole ?

Question is, for the bolt on hubs, what Triumph car do I need to get another vertical link off ? Robinshaw and Ross's book say it must be off 1959-63 Herald only. Is this true ? What are the differences?

Thanks,

Ben
stelz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:03 am

Hi Ben

Not sure of the differences but as always know a man who does! Call Mark Field at Jigsaw Racing in Desborough, Northants, I am sorry but don't have his number to hand here but you will find him via the net or directory enquiries.

Mark is a Triumph man having just built the replica Spitfire GT that raced in this year's Historic Le Mans.

Could be he has or will source part for you.
Regards
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:48 am

Ben,
As far as I remember the Herald has drum brakes with a backplate held on with 4 bolts (to support the brake shoes) the Spitfire had disc's & calipers with a two bolt fixing. Lotus in there wisdom ?? used the Herald upright and fitted an adapter to the upright (4 bolts) which supported the caliper and I think the later Spitfires had a stronger (thicker) stub axle. So looking at the two you would see either a upright with 3 or 4 tapped holes, the third being for the steering arm, I think you could use the Spitfire uprights as a pair with their steering arms. Hope this makes sense
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:20 pm

The vertical links are readily available from Paul Matty or Rimmer Brothers (check Rimmer Brothers website look up herald and spitfire parts and you will find the correct vertical link)
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: