Accuspark

PostPost by: rmd24 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:57 am

A friend of mine has just fitted an Accuspark to a 60s Sunbeam Alpine with a moderately tweaked engine and says that it has "transformed" the car.
Just wondering if anybody have any experience or know anything about this bit of kit.

Roger
rmd24
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat May 12, 2012 7:48 am

Accuspark is a brand but if you mean the Hall effect contactless ignition triggers then I think they are fine.

I have fitted one in a Lucas distributor and it works well. It is basically a cheap and cheerful points replacement similar to the Aldon Ignitor.

It all fits within the distributor replacing points and condenser so is also neat in a classic application.

I think the same unit is sold under several brand names
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat May 12, 2012 8:31 am

elan-f15/accuspark-t24291.html

miked got one and talked about it earlier this year in the post above. It may be of some help to you.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sat May 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi Gary,

I was actually thinking of posting an update about it last night. Now seem like a good time.

Mike :)
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rmd24 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:39 am

miked wrote:Hi Gary,

I was actually thinking of posting an update about it last night. Now seem like a good time.

I would certainly be interested in an update.
On the face of it, it would seem to be a worthwhile and inexpensive ( ?30) improvement.

Roger
rmd24
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:02 pm

Reviving this thread...

Never before have I used a forum like this to criticize a vendor's products, but if anywhere, this is the place to share experiences that could be helpful to others who own or work on Elans, I'm sure there are many positive experiences others can report, but I've recently had a very bad experience with the folks at Accuspark and their distributors.

I bought a 23D and 43D for a couple of cars I'm working on, and the problems started with just getting replies to my initial emails to set up a rather large purchase, including two Stealth Black Boxes, caps, rotors, and other items. I had to make two international phone calls just to get the order started.

When the distributors arrived, I popped off the drive gears to wire tie the weights, required when using the Black Box, and found the 23D to have a very crudely hand-filed shaft end to accommodate the gear, and two, overlapping cross-drilled holes. Not really what I expected from a new unit,

The 43D had a shaft about 1/4" shorter than normal, fitting the drive gear at the top shoulder of the gear teeth. On top of that, the end play is 0.084", excessive even by their own standards, as they replied to me in an email ("we would expect this to be an absolute maximum of 25 thou").

I have gone back and forth in emails with the folks at Accuspark, who have argued every one of my concerns. Bottom line being that these things are built to a price, and I can't expect a higher quality at that price "I'm sorry you don't like our products". True on both counts, I suppose. However, cheap doesn't mean useless.

My request for either a new shaft with the hole drilled in the correct location, or at the very least, some shims, have gone unanswered. Now I must obtain and add shims to the 43D because Accuspark insisted I submit photographs of the end play before they would "arrange to replace the distributor". I did that twice, but now they have stopped responding to emails (and no, I was neither abusive or obscene).

Also, while not a defect, per se, buyers may want to note that the advance limit stop plate is not marked with the total number of degrees, so should be checked and modified as needed.

Though I understand that prioritizing cost is often necessary, customer service and product quality are more important to me these days. Could be that the folks in the UK are treated better than those of us overseas, but I'll be moving on to other options after this experience.
Attachments
43D gap.jpg and
Accuspark bad dizzys.jpg and
Last edited by elangtv2000 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi,

No connection to me but I have had kit off them and had numerous conversations with the MD - Tony Ibbotson (guy in film). Have you had your problems escalated to him as he seems very customer focused to me. He even changed out my Stealth Black box for the later one when I had some PC comm?s problems. Also gave other advice. If you have, sorry, just a suggestion. If not, it is worth getting through to him.

I just had a problem with an outfit to do with instruments and only got dealt with properly when a Director got hold of my case and did some investigation. He bottomed it and apologised and came clean, which I respect

As you may know one person in a business who does not quite "get it" with customers can damage a business.

Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your input. I've tried to reach Tony from the very beginning, when attempting to place my order, and throughout, but Jane Ibottson has been my only contact, both phone and email. I've sent emails directly to him, another just yesterday, re-sending the photo they insisted I send. They have completely stopped responding. I considered making yet another overseas call to try to reach Tony directly, but as Jane answers the phone and since apparently Tony is not interested in direct communication, I think it's probably a waste of time, and good money after bad.

I don't think a customer should have to work so hard to spend $540 on a vendor's products. I also don't think it's good business to sell admittedly out of spec products, then refuse to even supply a couple of shims to correct one of the problems. The owners of the cars these were to go into will never be Accuspark customers after this, nor will I, so Tony and Jane have lost three customers simply by being unable to handle criticism of their products. I've also showed these to two engine builder friends of mine, another to follow. They, like I, can't afford to put this quality of parts into customer's cars, despite the low cost, nor would they be satisfied with the service I've received.

Sorry to rant, but my experience may be useful to prospective purchasers.

Cheers,

Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: friedy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:36 pm

I have a supplier near me who sells new dizzys and hall effect ignition. I bought the ignition from him and so far it works fine, cant say ive noticed that much of a difference but must be more reliable than points. I work in a machine shop and he came round wanting some dizzys modified. He had a new batch in from china and they weren't made correctly. Seems everything that is cheap nowadays comes from China and you take a chance if its ok.

Alan.
friedy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks, Alan. These do look Chinese, as do their spark plugs, based on the packaging and lettering. I don't really have a problem with Chinese quality for some items, when you know to expect. But when it has potentially expensive consequences, or when the on-shore vendor won't stand behind the product (and really, between the purchaser and the manufacturer), then it's a colossal waste of time and money for the purchaser, as it has been in this case. Accuspark made it quite clear when they were still responding that these are built to a low price because that's all their customers will pay. Wish they had told me that before I wasted time and money for myself and the fellows whose cars these were to go into.
Cheers
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:10 pm

An update, but no progress. Jane at Accuspark has finally responded by email after several days, but only after a member here contacted them. Unfortunately, she would not accept the photo of the end play of the 43D drive gear! Apparently she believes I am faking the photo or measurement. She again argued against my comment on the crudely filed 23d shaft, stating a drive gear not concentric to the shaft would have no effect at all, then told me she resented my comments about the quality.

All of this merely to avoid my request to send a couple of shims for the 43d, as they have already refused to do anything at all for the 23d. It's a pretty shabby way to conduct business, and causes me serious doubt about their other products like the black box, particularly if service or support is needed.

Maybe she doesn't like American customers? Too bad, I'm only half British, own 4 British cars, work on British cars, support British businesses, but not this one.
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:09 pm

And your purchase is covered by English law.

Which covers
a. you for any reason under "distance selling" regulations
b. The Sale of Goods Act - A product must be as described, of satisfactory quality, and fit for purpose.

Since the products are neither of sufficient quality, or fit for purpose, you have the right to a full refund, repair, or replacement (The choice is yours don't let anyone tell you otherwise). The seller must also cover some associated costs - In particular they are responsible for postage.

They would be very foolish not to send you a replacement for the 23d, and the requested shims for the 43d.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:54 pm

Greg,

In following this post with interest,

I would like to add my disgust in the way in which you seem to have been treated.

It seems so very unprofessional that the service you have received appears to have been so bad!

I find it intolerable that they will not respond to your reasonable requests, in sorting this horrid situation out, or by not offering a full refund.

I can assure you that these actions seem so very un-British, and should not be tolerated.

I have complete sympathy with you, as I find most people in a 'customer service situation' nowadays, very often seem incapable of conversing in any other way than emails, which are very often so long winded in that it deserves to be the method known as 'snail mail' .

I for one, have used Aldon's products for this conversion on my car and must report I had a good experience with them.

The Owner / supplier should go out of his way to resolve this or at least converse with you directly.

Bad business!!!

I hope you get this sorted quickly, and status quo is regained with regards to the intent and goodwill of UK suppliers, for Lotus elan.net customers.

( no connection with Aldon etc.)

Best regards,

Phil.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pierrea76 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:41 am

Hello from france! Hall effect device is a very good idea...on a Lucas distributor. there are two problems whith accuspark. the first one is poor quality , especially axle play The second one is that there is only one model in each type of distributor, so each 23D ,for instance has the same advance curve. There are at least for different Lucas distributors for the Elan, because the curves are different; Identification by the 5 numbers engaved on the body, not the molded numbers and letters.The only way to know if the accuspark has"transformed" a car is very simple...dynometer! No black magic! remember what are of first importance , no play, weights, springs, , no need of a shiny body, no more of a red cover! Pierre
pierrea76
New-tral

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:28 pm

Accuspark have made no attempts to resolve this issue, not even further communications, even after I submitted photos as they demanded, on 3 separate occasions. I have received private messages from several members here who have had negative experiences with Accuspark products and service; just wish I had known this before wasting my money.

Now I have to decide whether the money wasted on this junk is worth pursuing compensation in some way, though how is not clear to me. It was correctly stated to me off-list, that Tony and Jane are certainly aware of the difficulty in getting resolution because of the distance, and the fact that at some point my time is worth more money than what these crappy parts have cost me.

My warning to you all is that the price is low for a reason. Jane has told me a few times that she resents me characterizing the distributors to her as poor quality, but that is how they appear to me.

Thank you to those of you who have offered support, suggestions, and your own experiences.

Cheers,

Greg
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: