Battery cable route

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sun May 21, 2017 9:58 pm

This may sound simple, but what is the route of the battery cable from the solenoid to the battery. I have the original cable and it's in good condition, but has been coiled up for years so has no bends to give clues to how it was routed.
Starting at the solenoid, the cable passes through the bulkhead in a grommet beside the bonnet catch, then obviously has to drop down to floor level, but there don't appear to be any holes for clips, so does it just go down anywhere and get held I place by the carpet or is there some specific route or securing method. Once at floor level I assume it goes along in the corner by the door cill till you get to the seat belt mounting point at the rear of the cill.
Is it secured somehow or does it just lay there? Now for the bit I'm really unsure of, how does the cable get through to the boot, does it go under the rear seat squab somewhere, then under the petrol tank and into the boot, or does it go up and over the rear strut top mount and down behind that into the boot, if it goes this way should it be behind or In front of the top seatbelt mounting, and how is it secured or does it just dangle there. Sounds trivial I know, but I want to get it in the right place as if it's wrong and rubs somewhere over time it could be a fire hazard some years hence.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:25 pm

Pretty sure I know the route on an Elan but not a Plus 2. Does the exploded diagram in the manual show enough detail to be able to follow it?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon May 22, 2017 1:15 am

From the bulk head down to the sill, diagonally to the corner of the for area. Basically fastened in place by the carpet...

Then from the corner between sill and floor, again held in place by the carpet/felt. Continues down there until it's under the rear side trim panel.

Comes up and over in the tower area, from memory it runs to the side of the rear seat, and down to the battery.

It might sound like they pretty much just throw it in there with very little effort spent, which is because that's what they did...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon May 22, 2017 3:22 am

On my February 1970 Plus 2S Federal . . .

Looking forward, from the rear right-side seat area . . . the thinner cable is antenna, the thicker one is positive from battery . . .
img_1070.jpg and

Looking across the interior of the car at the right rear shock tower . . .
img_1071.jpg and

Looking forward from rear of car, into right front corner of boot area . .
img_1072.jpg and

Hope that helps . . .

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Mon May 22, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks all, really useful pictures Randy. I can just tuck it into the corners and cover to with the insulation and carpet then. Need to warm it a bit to bend it neatly and check where the battery terminals will be to ensure it reaches ok.
Thanks, another job can be ticked off the list.
Simpn Babb
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:45 am

Bear in mind the cable will run down the near side in a UK car.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon May 22, 2017 10:07 am

Why for a UK car the near side. Rhd or Lhd the Battery is in the same place and also the Starter Solenoid same place(just above Starter Motor). :?
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Mon May 22, 2017 1:05 pm

Yep, the natural route is down the right hand side of the car, the wiring harness for the lights etc runs down the left hand side, undecided as to which side the aerial cable should go, any thoughts?
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Mon May 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Both battery cable & aerial lead are on the right/off side on my S130, (1972 UK R/H/D), & follow exactly the route shown in Randy's pictures of his L/H/D. My aerial is mounted in the O/S/R wing, so logical the the lead would run that side.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon May 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks for the pics Randy. Late today or tomorrow my new battery cable goes in. Been practicing creative avoidance for about a week. Much easier than I had predicted.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon May 22, 2017 8:56 pm

That's funny, Rob. "Creative avoidance" . . . easier than you thought it would be. :mrgreen:

I hear you. But if I don't keep pressing on with my car build, there won't be any gas left to drive my car down your way!!! :shock: :wink:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Tue May 23, 2017 2:20 am

I am in that dreaded time frame when I have days that are "Two steps forward, one step backwards.....followed by days that are one step forward, three steps backwards". All translated to mean, I can be my own worst enemy.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Tue May 23, 2017 4:36 am

Amen to that :shock: :mrgreen:
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue May 23, 2017 8:55 am

I know that feeling, but I have a target to fit at least one new part each day. Yesterday was a bad day as all I achieved was to fit a grommet in the bulkhead! I did then run some cables through it though!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: