Black and silver horn push badge

PostPost by: elanner » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:32 am

Nope - the PM didn't arrive.

(For people following this thread I had PMed Sarto with a question about the difference between crazing and glazing!)
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:52 am

nebogipfel wrote:
elanner wrote:Jon,

Did you make any progress with this?

My horn button is also crazed, not too badly, but I'd put some effort into improving it if possible. It seems like an item for the Winter-projects list. The eBay prices are truly amazing, but I'm always delighted to see that it's not just me who gets hosed buying stuff for waaaay too much.

I can't track down the Classic Badges website. It is possible to get a Triumph button (much cheaper) and swap the emblem over?

Nick

The problem is that the badge (insert) seems to be nearly as expensive as a complete horn push.

I have been on the lookout for 8 years now but will not pay these crazy prices.

I know, the market dictates etc etc .......... :wink:

This one didn't make silly money, ebay Item number: 170723910811 :o Typical, as I wasn't able to be around when it ended. (I don't need one, but it would have helped a freind along with his S3) Perhaps the moral here is place a sensible bid on any that come up, then you'll either get one at your price or at least you'll be happy in the knowledge that the bugger who 'stole' it from you payed over the top for the privilege :!: :lol:

I often wonder why it is that every once in a while, a seemingly very similar item sells for less than half the average recent price ? Does eveyone else know something I don't ?

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MMO597L » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:53 am

trw99 wrote:Jono

If this is what you are after, I happen to have one sitting in my desk draw doing nothing. If it would help your restoration let me know via PM or email. I would rather it went to an Elan enthusiast on here who will use it properly - loudly and often!

It came off a 1971 Sprint with the earlier type steering wheel boss.

Tim

(I was hoping to reproduce the 1st image from the above quote but cant work out how??)

Hi - a lurker here, but into the open 'cos I'm intrigued by the badge availability saga:
I believe (know) the button bit in the pic is correct - original Lucas manufacture. Anyone disagree?

A couple recently on ebay implying original ((eg Item 180800322317) all by someone claiming to have been a main dealer) is clearly not the same button, - note the thickness of the text partic the 'O' and the narrowness between the legs of the 'U'.
Is this the wrong script referred to?
The bakelite appears 'real' Lucas, but it is a common moulding with other than Lotus applications.

A NOS one just finished (?51) looks 'right' 140689329055 by a different seller.

To my knowledge all Yellow/Green one's of these were with a chrome retaining bezel. I've seen (indeed owned) black with chrome bezel - I assume earlier ones.
MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi MMO and welcome.

I have included a photo of the horn push I had (the genuine article) for you to compare to the ebay item.

Tim
Attachments
Elan Horn Push 001.JPG and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Greetings MMO597L

Hope this helps:

MMO597L wrote:Hi - a lurker here, but into the open 'cos I'm intrigued by the badge

Comparison of the two badges in question:
badge comparison.jpg and

I got one from "classicbadges.com" (pictured) which was a fairly good facsimile, but their website is sadly no more :(

MMO597L wrote:Is this the wrong script referred to?

"Right" fonts are normally considered being sans serif. e.g.
Fonts.jpg and

Cheers - Richard
Last edited by ardee_selby on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:54 pm

I think there may perhaps be 2 or more styles of genuine Lotus horn badges with only very slight differences.

I bought Tim's horn push as shown above to replace the very crazed one on my 1970 +2S (thanks again Tim :D )

It is undoubtedly the real thing but there are subtle differences between it and my pre existing badge which has 'heavier' lettering in 'shiny' silver below the clear plastic and also a thin metal chrome rim around the Bakerlite surround.

Perhaps the 'Tim' badge is a later version - who knows with Lotus?

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:12 pm

My so-called 'Tim badge' came off an early 1971 Sprint in 1976 when a Moto-Lita wheel was fitted instead.

As such, I'm pretty certain it was an original fitment from the early raised horn push style (ex S4) fitted to some early Sprints, before the later, flatter horn push with the smaller badge became standard.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MMO597L » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks Guys - what a great response.

For the avoidance of doubt - I didnt mean to imply black bezels are incorrect in any way, just observing there is a different combo. I maybe have got, subject to a root in the shed - a black bezel one, too.

The Classicbadges, if that's the Worcs company, should be good- it's my understanding they bought the OE tools for push buttons (more than just Lotus) from Lucas in the late 1980's when JL closed down much of the Birmingham (UK) manufacturing facilities including the site where the push was assembled.
Their minor differences I believe are either caused by tool refurb or paint/colour application differences, c25 years after original Lucas process.

The thick lettered 'claimer' appears not of that quality.
Last edited by MMO597L on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:55 pm

MMO597L wrote:Thanks Guys - what a great response.

The Classiccarbadges, if that's the Worcs company, should be good- it's my understanding they bought the OE tools for push buttons (more than just Lotus) from Lucas in the late 1980's when JL closed down much of the Birmingham (UK) manufacturing facilities including the site where the push was assembled. Their minor differences I believe are either caused by tool refurb or paint/colour application differences, c25 years after original Lucas process.

Yes, I remember their (Redditch?) website referred to original tooling...but I had forgotten their name (Doh!)
I should have said "classicbadges.com" NOT "classiccarbadges.com" as they also had a lot of old bike badges. In fact I was going to buy a pair of "Panther" badges which could be provided in a display case but I was too late :(

I don't think Lotus owners will be alone in missing them...have a look at their then product range: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45450049/Car%20Badges.jpg

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:12 am

Salut

Not the right font, and maybe not even the right size (I don't have one of your fanck 'wheels), but might be better than nothing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-27mm-Bl ... 1986wt_998

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:21 pm

There is a company in the UK that will reproduce a domed, flexible plastic insert of user specified size, with any logo. One of the Europa guys just had a few made to restore Lotus horn buttons and they work great. About $6.00 each plus shipping. IIRC, he ordered them on a Friday and received them in the USA the following Tuesday. Here's the link to the website. They already have the artwork, but IIRC, another customer also ordered using a different font. HTH.

http://www.heko.co.uk/

sveris
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MMO597L » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:32 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110822599472#ht_1068wt_932
Interesting way of listing this: offering the button or the whole push for additional ?25 to the finished price. Seems a good idea.
MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:07 pm

I didn't read the fine print the first time. But ?35.99 for just the top part of the button seems very high.And ?60.99 for the button assembly is a lot, too.

If my button still worked okay, I think I'd order the $6.00 top and re-do it myself! :lol:

Steve in Ohio
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MMO597L » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:44 pm

sveris wrote:I didn't read the fine print the first time. But ?35.99 for just the top part of the button seems very high.And ?60.99 for the button assembly is a lot, too.

If my button still worked okay, I think I'd order the $6.00 top and re-do it myself! :lol:

Steve in Ohio

Well if its too much for your budget you dont bid - simple as that. The market makes the price. ?35.99 wasn't the opening price, one started the other day at ?9.99. Reasonable? Maybe, but it's ?22 now and, worse still, it's NOT genuine. The nature of an auction is that the end price is too high for all but one person. I notice these as assemblies with repro buttons also claiming to be origninal made over ?100 on 2 previous occasions they were listed. A Morris Mini Minor made over ?60 the other day! So ?35 start does not seem excessive to me.

If it were 'buy it now' at that price for that quality I'd guess there'd be a few buying them and relisting as an auction.

You could download a copy, shrink it using your photo software print it off, cut it out & stick it to over your centre with double sided tape. Et voila- a free solution & no waiting.
MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: MMO597L » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:15 pm

?35 start.... ended at ?78 all but pennies. Notice the questions '..will you certify they are authentic..' 'what colour is the back?' I wasn't aware that people were so keen on original originals vs later produced vs repros.
I was always of the opinion that if it looked right that was good enough for me. Maybe things have moved on?

'Bout time someone listed a green & yellow original just so we can speculate on where ?s it will end.... last one went for ?148 if I remember correctly.
MMO597L
First Gear
First Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: