colour of dashboard warning lights

PostPost by: jonathan.downe » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:54 pm

My first question posed on here so please be gentle with me. :D

I have a 1973 elan plus 2 130/4 and have a question on the colour of the three dashboard warnings lights. I have asked Susan Miller but even she isnt sure. Mine are Hazard red - Rear Screen blue - Brake red. Is that right or should either the hazard or the brake lights be amber?

I know its petty but just trying to get it right.

Thanks,

Jonathan
jonathan.downe
New-tral

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:46 pm

Brake is red on mine. Middle light (rear screen) is sort of purple - I guess it started out as blue. The hazard is red.

Of course, Lotus used whatever was to hand when building these cars, so I have read, so who's to know for sure? But I think red looks right and is consistent with hazard switches on modern cars.

I would stick to red for your brake light. It is supposed to be a danger sign if it comes on as you are driving along.

JonB

PS, nice car, mister! :D
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jonathan.downe » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Thanks JonB.

My blue rear screen light has also gone a purply colour and is difficult to see if on in the daylight. From the sound of it not unusual.

Cheers,

Jonathan
jonathan.downe
New-tral

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm

I guess this needs replacement. I can't see mine in broad daylight, though I can - just about - make it out at night! On the other hand, the red lights are bright and clear!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:04 pm

From my 1969 +2.
Attachments
000_0005.jpg and
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:21 am

Early cars had the 4 lights with the amber parking/hand brake warning separate to the red brake fail light. This was changed to a combined park/fail light in later models that was red. So you have it right - two reds and a purple for the rear screen

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:55 am

rdssdi wrote:From my 1969 +2.

A suggestion if you buy a "Triumph Herald light knob" from "Rimmer Bros" it would look better and like original.
:wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jonathan.downe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:33 pm

Robbie,

Thanks very much for your input. I always assumed my purple light for the rear screen was either because it had discoloured over time or was slightly wrong as they all seem to be listed as blue. However JonB and I both have ones that are purple and are hard to see if on in the daytime.

Is it meant to be that purple or should it be blue (and easier to see if on) like Susan Miller etc sell?

Cheers,

Jonathan
jonathan.downe
New-tral

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:24 pm

My money's on blue but as I have already spent it I suppose I am biased. :lol:
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Couldn't say for sure, both of my Plus 2's have been the same but I expect it could be age that has changed the colour as it is a little more opaque than the red ones.

My problem is that whoever restored my dash put the brake light as the purple one!

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jonathan.downe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks very much Robbie. In which case I'll keep the old "purple" one as a spare but like JonB I'm going to replace it on the dash to a new blue one so I can see when its on! :lol:

Thanks for your input and taking the time to reply.

Jonathan
jonathan.downe
New-tral

Total Online: