Correct dual S1 gauge?

PostPost by: greg40green » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Elan S1 correct dual gauge?
Questions.
1 )I'm led to believe that the Lotus Elan S1 black rimmed dual gauge was also originally fitted to the Climax Elite and early Lotus Cortina MK1's
Is this correct?
2) Did the oil PSI figures run 0, 20 , 40 , 60 or should the figures go to 100.
The the water temp figures on the gauge that I presently have goes 0 30,50,70,90, 100, 110. ( Oil PSI goes 0,20,40,60)
3)When googling Elite , MK1 Lotus Cortina and S1 Elan dash boards or dual gauges there are both types fitted ie ones going to a max of 60 PSI oil pressure and others going to 100 PSI.

4)Which is correct dual gauge for my 1964 Lotus Elan S1 or were both types fitted as per ability to supply?
There are currently a number of suppliers selling Smith replica dual gauges , I'm currently considering a gauge from Caerbont Automotive Instruments but require the correct looking gauge for the year and make of my Elan S1.
Thanks , Greg
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mike Ostrov » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi, Greg. Been decades since my Lotus Cortina days.

I can confirm that all Climax Elites were fitted with the 0 to 100 psi oil pressure and 30 to 110 C water temp. dual gauge. The bezels were brass and flat back painted and the illumination was external by a single lamp shining threw the blue circular plastic in the gauge opening.

Our Coventry Climax engines were fitted with a 50/55 psi pressure relief valve. When at operating temperature and speeds, the two needles would be close to the noon and 6 o'clock positions. Any significant variation would be cause for alarm.

Similar consideration, I believe, for the TC oil pressure gauge, as the standard Ford operating pressure seems to stabilize at approx. 35 psi, hence the needle at close or beyond the noon position using a 0 to 60 psi gauge.

Wish I could offer more information. Cheers. Mike, the Club Elite (Type 14), secretary, world registrar and general tech lad with a few Climax Elites and two Elite/Elans.
[email protected] or (5l0) 232-7764
Mike Ostrov
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: