erratic sparks from 5500 on up! any ideas my men??

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:22 pm

hey - hoping you're looking forward to a good diner or already eating (GMT and us here) - my engine does everything properly BUT the distributor (i guess) has an issue once i get closer to 6000; so where would you start to investigate?? ........................ i don't really need to shift that high, so i'm doin' fine HOWEVER it bugs the shit out of me. could it be the accuracy of the position (12?) of dizzy? thanks for any good ideas alpine sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi

If it is consistent and the engine is fine otherwise has your Dizzy got a rotor arm with one of the centrifugal type rev limiters they are supposed to come in around 6000+ a bit but maybe over the years the mechanism has got a bit weak and its coming in early. I believe if you look at the rotor it will have a marking on it with its rev limit.

Just a thought

best of luck

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:37 am

Advance mechanism wobble
Bad cap
Worn distributor bearing
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:45 am

I would start with undertsanding the total details of oyur fuel and ignition system

i.e.
What ignition system do you have installed as your car is not particularly standard. There are many issues that could cause the symptoms from plugs to leads to cap to rotor to points and condenser ( or electronics) to coil to power supply, to advance curve.

Then you start on the fuel system such as carbs going to lean or rich which could be due to a range of issues .....

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: