Fail safe headlights +2

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:52 am

Frustrated at my inability to get my headlights to stay down for more than a couple of hours. Pod is perfect. If I clamp the hose between the solenoid and T piece, lights stay down forever.

Has anyone tried fitting a non-return valve (servo type) between T piece and solenoid with any success?

Simon
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gus » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:41 am

I think that would prevent the lights from ever going up if I have your idea correct

Probably the solenoid is dead and time for a new one
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:31 am

A one-way valve between the T-piece and the solenoid wouldn't prevent the lights from going up and down. The vacuum comes from the T-piece which would drive the valve open and suck air from the actuator pod, causing the lights to retract and the solenoid would continue to vent the actuator pod to atmosphere, so causing the lights to raise.

As I said, if I clamp the hose between the solenoid and the T-piece, the lights stay down indefinitely so the solenoid isn't faulty. Interestingly after a couple of days clamped, if I release the clamp, the lights only raise an inch or so, so whatever leak I have it needs the tension in the headlamp return springs to fully exploit it.

I think I will fit a non-return valve anyway and see what happens
Simon
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: