Flasher type ?

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi I had thought the flasher shown on the s1,2,3 wiring diagram to flash the headlights when activated by the micro switch was a lucas 8 fl

So having bought the flasher , I have found there is not sufficient current drawn through the micro switch to activate it , however if I put it inline with the bulb ie after the relay connected to the white blue feed it flasher quite happily , if so what is supposed to make it stop as I thought it was only supposed to flash about 8 times ?

Or have I bought the wrong flasher ?

Thanks in advance for advice

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi for those reading this.

I now realise I should have the high current drawn by the headlights switched by the relay not the flasher , so given the power drawn through the micro switch is insufficient to trigger the flasher I need to increase this load. I would have thought a resistor placed inline between the L terminal and the blue black should do the trick but what value resistor ? Any suggestions welcome.

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:01 am

Hi,
There has been lots of discussion over the years about the arrangement for head light flasher on an Elan. The original LOTUS circuit used a special flasher unit that would operate i.e. flash at the correct rate, when switching a separate but identical head light relay to that used for normal headlight on/off function.
This is a technically correct arrangement as the micro switch handles the small current required to enable the special flasher unit, and the headlight relay is capable of handling the current requirement of the two headlights on together.
Alterative circuit have been given, I believe on this forum, where a 2 pin thermal type flasher unit is arranged such that it works but in this arrangement the flasher is switching some 10amps not its design rate of 2x 21w + side repeaters say 4 to 5 amps.
For what its worth.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: