Headlight pod micro-switch wiring

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:26 am

Thanks, it worked out quite neatly, when you turn the headlights on it energises the pod motor and puts them up, hence the original vacuum switch on the dash is no longer needed, so I have bought an old style electrical pull switch and fitted it in place of the vacuum switch and it turns on the spotlights in normal operation if I want them. The original knob with the lamp symbol on it fits this new switch so the dash looks original.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:30 am

You can find knob with headlamp symbol at Rimmer Bros "Triumph Herald".
There is a very little difference with the symbol but nobody will notice :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:06 pm

Bigbaldybloke wrote:My early plus 2 had been modified to have the two spot lights under the bumper. During my rebuild and rewire, I?ve added an extra relay to the light circuit so that if you flash the lights using the column stalk and the pods are down, it flashes the spot lights, if the pods are up it flashes the main beams as normal. The relay is worked by one pod microswitch. My pods have been modified to be motorised with a Mazda electric headlight motor.

Nicely done. I did a similar configuration, although mine only flash my added spot lights. I think I will also reconfigure mine to flash the headlamps when the pods are up, which I can see should be pretty easy to figure out. My pods are also converted to motors, but that should not be required

As an aside, my Esprit uses flash to pass with its electric pod motors. They are quick enough to work fine. The first pull on the stalk raises the pods and illuminates the high beams. They stay up for about ten seconds or so allowing you to flash the lamps as expected. After 10 seconds the pods retract (if the headlamps are off).

I actually bought a ?delay relay? with the idea of doing something similar on the Plus 2. The relay is intended to keep interior lights on for 10 seconds after you shut the door. After doodling around for quite a while I abandoned the idea as too complex for my meagre electrical design skills and wired the flash to pass to only the spot lamps.

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ ... tegory/210

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:49 am

I think the failsafe Headlamps rise quicker than non failsafe
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker